Fence Post support

I know there is another thread on this, but I can't find it. Someone was using a 4 inch fence post sunk in cement instead of a tree. This isn't enough. Someone else suggested using 2 4 inch fence posts. Maybe that works.

What I'd suggest trying is one 4 inch fence post with a hole drilled through the top or an Eye on the top. Run steel cable through the hole and sink in an eye in cement so it runs at a 45 degree angle from the top of the post. Then all the force will be down on the post instead of pulling on the top of it.

I think it's important the cable be allowed to move freely through the eye or the hole.

Thoughts?

Maybe someone tried this before and it didn't work.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    I started a thread dealing with that in the last couple days and ended up using 4"x6"x10' timbers with 3' in the ground. I started with a $3 "cherry tone landscape timber" and was amazed how much they flexed. They didn't break, but there is no way I was going to trust them after seeing them bow. 7' is a good height for a 16' span.

See http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=38373

I would add a turnbuckle to the cable/anchor system so it could be adjusted over time. Using a guy wire does need more space so you can't rig it close to a fence or walkway, plus the expense and fiddle factor. The clamps or sleeves that form the loops in the cable need to be up to the stresses too.

All in all, what I learned is that a hanging hammock involves a lot more stress than you might imagine at first glance. You end up pulling with a couple hundred pounds at the top of the post. Think about standing on that post with it extended straight out 6'-7'-- like a diving board and bouncing on it-- makes it more ... personal

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    OES 10x12 catcut
    Insulation
    IX/Clima DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    That seems like it would work. I remember seeing a guy who used a piece of driftwood just like that to hang his hammock. You shouldn't have any problems.
    Be like Bob

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I had 4 x 4 post break while hanging. Changed to pier pilings (think telephone poles)

The pecan tree that is the base of my backyard hanging system broke about 20 feet up during Hurricane Irene but the pier pilings did not move at all.

Don't know if this is the driftwood picture you are referring too. Its a downed Bald Cypress tree along the Neuse River where I hung my ENO DN to take a break during a day hike.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    I've thought about something similar using some of the auger type ground anchors you might use with a shed or playground equipment. I can't seem to find any ratings for their load in various soil (in central FL so it's all sand). This way I could just have a 4x4 a few feet in the ground then have the top guyed to the ground with some stainless cable. This would be easy to remove for mowing or other lawn projects.

Hammock
    BIAS XL Camper, ENO DN
    Tarp
    12x10 WL tarp
    Insulation
    Junebug quilts
    Suspension
    WS, TH, ET
    Images
    We put 2 8''x8''x10' or 12' posts sunk 4 foot straight (no angle) in the ground no cement and two eye bolts that run trough the post. They have been there for several years now and haven't moved an inch. My father in-law will hang his Pawleys Island Hammock form them when the weather is nice and I will hang my ENO DN/slap straps from them when I'm doing a lot of yard work (union nap breaks). I know the cost is a little more then others but It has been totally worth it.
    Life looks better from a BIAS hammock.

going with the 8 by 8 here also

Considering what a hammock stand cost to make I think I might try the 8 by 8 for the back yard. Only need one as I have a pecan tree for the other end. Plus using this tree it has our garage giving us privacy from the street.

Jim

• + New Posts