Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    "Amazona's Moskito Hammock" By BYER
    Suspension
    BYER Micro Ropes
    Images

Winter hammocking?????

Hi. I hope i didn't place this in the wrong area, i'm new here, so if i did, please pardon my blunder. Has anyone done any WINTER hammock camping?? I live in upstate N.Y., & my spot is a state forrest at about a 2,000 foot elevation on a mountain top. what kind of gear, sleeping bag, etc. would you folks reccomend?? Just got into hammocking early this year, & LOVE IT!!!!!! Am currently using a Byer moskito hammock, & prefer it, as it is one piece construction, as opposed to 3 piece, which has that gosh awful sewn ribbon on either side! RRRRRRRRR!!!! LOL! & i don't care to lug a matress along with all my stuff to compensate for a design that should have never seen the light of day! LOL! Any help would be appreciated, especially since i've never winter camped at all. Thanks.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    First off let me welcome you to the forums
    as for winter Hammock camping you came to the right place...
    there are many of us who hang in the winter ... Shug and Turk are 2 guys you should check out they have youtube channels and have a few winter trips on there page
    if you do a search you will also find lots of great info on winter hanging
    there is also a winter hang in NJ that is a blast
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JrB TQ/UQ,Crownest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Actually there are quite a few of us who almost enjoy it more then summer camping. With the super-high quality quilts that the fine cottage industry folks make; winter camping is very comfortable, and enjoyable.

The peace, quiet, serenity, solitude and complete lack of bugs makes the winter a wonderful time to be out.

If you have lots of snow; pulk sleds, and extra food are must-have additions.
    I ride a recumbent.
    I like to HAM it up on the CW.
    I use Linux.
    I play go.
    Of course I sleep in a hammock!

Rug.

Hang On!

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Welcome aboard from Florida. Even get some winter hangs down here, for most of us in Florida, it's the only time we get to hang outside.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Turk and Shug have both been out in minus double digit degrees F. Not for the faint of heart. I've managed 12* F at one time and I think even lower than that but that's unofficial.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rug View Post
    Actually there are quite a few of us who almost enjoy it more then summer camping. With the super-high quality quilts that the fine cottage industry folks make; winter camping is very comfortable, and enjoyable.

The peace, quiet, serenity, solitude and complete lack of bugs makes the winter a wonderful time to be out.

If you have lots of snow; pulk sleds, and extra food are must-have additions.
    I whole-heartedly agree with Rug. There are many of us who winter hammock. Everything Rug mentioned about winter camping is spot on. I will add that winter camping with a group negates the solitude aspect. The complete lack of drunken idiots is another reason to winter camp.

Just make sure that you insulation systems are rated for the expected temperatures in the area that you intend to winter camp. If you've never winter camped before, I would recommend going with someone who has done it before. There are extra things that need to be accommodated for in winter camping that you wouldn't think of relative to summer camping.

The main ingredient is a positive mental attitude and a willingness to get there and do it.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Yes Shug & Turk are gangsta winter campers.

I started winter camping 2 years ago. I've gotten down to 3*F. Here's a more recent trip Jan 2011 and I go over my camp clothes in this one:

"If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    Warbonnet 1.7DL
    Tarp
    W.B. BMJ
    My summers are so busy that fall and winter seem to be my only time that I can camp this year. I was up in the ADK in Feb and hammocked 2 nights and it was great.

The 2 most important thing is to have, a good sleeping bag or top quilt, and a bottom quilt or ground pad.

I'm still a sleeping bag hammocker and would recommend something that would get you down to 0 or -20 if you are going to winter hammock up there.

Just remember that the colder the rating the heavier the bag.

All I used last winter was a ground pad that gave me no problems as far as CBS (cold butt syndrome), this year I have a summer quilt (cant get the winter quilt till the spring) that I plan on useing as well as a ground pad.

I would recommend that you go somewhere locally for the first overnight and try out your gear before you hit the North Country and realize that you underestimated your gear.
    For my first overnight try, I had tons of gear with me and started to figure out what I did and didn't need before my trip up north.

This year I have a house and a nice wood plot out back and plan on doing a lot of trial and error with my gear in different temps to fine tune myself. If something is not working then I can just go inside and get something else to try.

Good luck and just remember that Winter is not as forgiving as the summer and if in doubt, over pack and stay warm.

Hammock
    Warbonnet 1.7DL
    Tarp
    W.B. BMJ
    Also if you are looking for a sleeping bag and not a top quilt, take a look at "Big Anges" I have one of there down bags and love it.

They make a slot for your ground pad so you never have to worry about it shifting under you.

Personally I wouldn't waste the money on synthetics, eventually you will want a down bag anyways. They are warmer and way lighter to carry in your pack.

Save your money and just go with the good stuff.

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    welcome to the forums! Lots of nice places in upstate NY.

I prefer camping when its cooler.. or even down to freezing temps.

MacEntyre has a few good winter videos as well as Shug

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast