Hammock
    DIY 1.3 Ripstop Nylon
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10 Silnylon
    Insulation
    ccfPAD WM Highlite

Hammock Hugging Problem

I just recently was messing around with different whipping styles, and came across a problem that I wasn't sure how to solve. How do you achieve stiff walls with out the hammock feeling like it is hugging you so tight your shoulders will be touching by morning? I don't think this is really a whipping problem, but the get the strong hugging feeling, I folded the fabric in half, gathered the fabric from the middle fold, and when I got to the top, I pulled a little extra through so the sides would be tighter. However, this has resulted in a pretty strong hug that my hammock puts on me. I know that I could fix this problem with spreader bars, but is there a way to fix this without using spreader bars. I'm hoping that I can pitch this another way and get more room and still have the tight walls. Hope this is clear and hopefully someone knows the solution to this problem.
    God Bless,
    Kyle
    [email protected]

"Fearless warriors in a picket fence, reckless abandon wrapped in common sense
    Deep water faith in the shallow end and we are caught in the middle
    With eyes wide open to the differences, the God we want and the God who is
    But will we trade our dreams for His or are we caught in the middle" - Casting Crowns

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    That, my friend, is known as shoulder squeeze. Try not pulling the fabric out on the ends or hanging with more sag and see if that helps.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    The 'hugging' that you describe is commonly referred to here as 'shoulder squeeze'. A search using that term will reveal quite a bit of information on the topic.

That being said, when doing your whipping you should try pulling less material through for the sides.

Also, using more sag in the suspension when hanging the hammock can help.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    DIY 1.3 Ripstop Nylon
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10 Silnylon
    Insulation
    ccfPAD WM Highlite
    so, is there a way to whip the ends with out having to sew a hem to keep the fabric from slidding through? I have done a lot with just tying a knot in the end of the fabric, but I have to take what ever I get when I do that b/c it's way to hard to untie the knot. So, other than a knot, how can I whip the ends without a hem?
    God Bless,
    Kyle
    [email protected]

"Fearless warriors in a picket fence, reckless abandon wrapped in common sense
    Deep water faith in the shallow end and we are caught in the middle
    With eyes wide open to the differences, the God we want and the God who is
    But will we trade our dreams for His or are we caught in the middle" - Casting Crowns

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    check out this thread about using a sheet bend.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ght=sheet+bend
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Backwards Warbonnet, Several DIY
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Insulation
    Homemade UQ
    Images
    I've had good luck using the Rayway. It usually takes me a couple of times of whipping, tying and untying to get the shoulder squeeze how I like it. So it's best to not trim the whipping rope material down all the way until you are sure you have it how you like it. Once I'm done, I trim the rope and use a strap looped around the whipping.

Images
    I use Just Jeff's idea (at least I think it was his) and "whip" my hammocks with a nylon zip tie. It's very easy to cut and retension the sides and works very well. Personally I like the sides to be a little floppy so that I can cover up with them and I find it makes the lounge chair mode more comfortable. Try giving yourself a little more sag before you retie the ends. I have wide shoulders and no matter how I fix the ends, if the body is stretched too tight it gets really tight. Once you find that sweet spot, consider using a strong ridgeline to set the sag without even thinking. Mine is a piece of Ed's cord with a loop at each end that just slips over the hammock ends. It's there when I need it but easily removable. Hang in there, you figure it out.
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

Hammock
    HHBP or Expr summer, diyMutts other
    Tarp
    HH Explr or HH Hex
    Insulation
    IXUQ+NeoAr
    Suspension
    Rings+Static line
    Quote Originally Posted by dufus934 View Post
    so, is there a way to whip the ends with out having to sew a hem to keep the fabric from slidding through?
    Sometimes I'm a belt AND suspenders kind of guy SO I lightly sparingly apply Shoe Goo to the fabric under the whip AND occasionally to the whipping cord and final knot. Not much chance for a do-over but if it gets screwed up I cut the ends, do it again and it becomes Spousey's, she's 6 inches shorter. . No end hem and approx 48 inches wide.
    "There's no accounting for other people's taste in love, fiction and huntin' dogs." ---Mark Twain

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    If you whip it correctly you don't need the hem, although it does tend to fry a lot.
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

• + New Posts