BB 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps

HH over cover?

Does anyone use one of these or a modified version and do they work? I have an hhexplorer deluxe and just purchased the hex rain fly. I was thinking about using the stock asym tarp over my bug net this winter to help hold in a little more heat. I don't want to cut any holes in it so I'll probably just clip both ends back a little for ventalation. Any feedback or suggestions?

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH hex (heavy)
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    HH descender rings
    Images
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...=space+blanket

poncho rather than fly but the principle is the same. Use of a space blanket looks a good idea.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    a couple people here use the over cover. Im pretty sure billybob 58 has used it alot. I was also thinking about using the stock tarp as a makeshift overcover
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Quote Originally Posted by deerfu39 View Post
    Does anyone use one of these or a modified version and do they work? I have an hhexplorer deluxe and just purchased the hex rain fly. I was thinking about using the stock asym tarp over my bug net this winter to help hold in a little more heat. I don't want to cut any holes in it so I'll probably just clip both ends back a little for ventalation. Any feedback or suggestions?
    I use a HH overcover on mine, they do work well in cold weather.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NewtonGT View Post
    a couple people here use the over cover. Im pretty sure billybob 58 has used it alot. I was also thinking about using the stock tarp as a makeshift overcover
    It works for sure IMO, holds in temps and blocks wind, adds slight water resistance. In earlier days there was a fellow used to post- he had used his HHSS on the AT in some really cold temps, and his favorite thing by far was the OC.

There was one other fellow that used the basic HHSS with OC in conditions way colder than designed for, and he was predictably cold. One of his complaints was that the OC would lift in the wind and let cold air in. True, it will do this, depending on how you attach it. But I still think it is better than nothing, and a simple mod could be rigged to prevent this. However, there is a way to attach it where the edge of the OC is under the edge of the UC, which keeps the wind from blowing it upwards. But the disadvantage to that way is: if water gets on the OC, it might run down into the OC. But hopefully the tarp will keep most water off of the OC in the 1st place. The OC is not really designed to handle water, though I have found it to be water resistant. Your choice of how to put it on, more wind or more water protection, or a mod for both.

One thing: the OC is breathable, not waterproof sil-nylon like the UC. So if you use that tarp as OC, it might get a bit steamy. Maybe if you use a big enough vent hole?

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    If you trap too much moisture inside the OC and the temps are below freezing, beware of the morning snowfall inside the OC. For winter use, I'm more of a proponent of a larger tarp with doors and letting the UQ and TQ breathe as much as possible. The tarp is pitched rather high but the sides are within 6" of the ground. I do use a vapor barrier heat sheet below 35° between hammock and UQ to minmize condensation in the UQ. IMO, the heat retention of a tarp with doors is adequate and the ice crystals in the morning are on the tarp underside where I can deal with them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I think they make mid temps more comfortable. Below freezing you need to worry about condensation but from about freezing to 50 or 60 degrees they block the wind making your personal cocoon more comfortable. This is especially true with the stock tarp as it does a poor job of blocking the wind. OTOH it blocks the view if you like hanging bundled up watching the cold night sky. ;-) You can also rig it with one side up and one down in block mode. Cooler but back to the view.

Hammock
    BB 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Gonna do a little experimenting with it this month while camping out of the truck during hunting season. That way it'll be easy to modify something if I need to

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings
    I used the over cover for my HH. I liked it a lot and because of it I use something similar on another hammock. They add a little bit of warmth and help me extend the 3S gear a little farther in to the season. They seem to help out even if you skip the tie out by your shoulder and leave it more open.
    "I'm a connoisseur of BACON." - Anyways - 6/9/13

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    TeeDee has used the HH overcover and thinks it adds to interior warmth.

We have both used Wiggy's poncho liners as overcovers and they add a lot of interior warmth. Also, the poncho liner uses Wiggy's Lamilite insulation and freezing interior condensation has never been a problem. I'd guess the insulated poncho liner keeps the interior above freezing when the exterior is well below freezing.

We've both used our idigear ponchos with 1 layer of Insultex as overcovers and they work for that very well. The times we have done that we've had about the same experience as with the Wiggy's poncho liners.

We're making overcovers using some 0.9 (non-DWR) ripstop for a top shell (we figure we won't need an inner shell) and 1 layer of Insultex. We figure that will be a lot lighter than the Wiggy's poncho liners. Lighter than the idigear ponchos also since we will be using only one shell layer and lighter fabric for the shell material. We had considered using just the Insultex with no shell, but that bright white Insultex just needs to be hidden.

With all of the overcovers on TeeDee's bridges we hang the overcover on the Structural ridge line so that we have a tent over the bridge. The end panels are designed to reach to the structural ridge line so that they can close off the end all the way up to the structural ridge line and we can configure the Bridge end panels so that we have a good sized gable vent on the head end. We can also open a gable vent on the foot end to get through ventilation if needed, but haven't needed to do so yet.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast