Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Big Mambajamba
    Images

Me, MamaJamba and the Continuous Ridgeline..

Expecting some serious wind and weather on the last night of our Smokey Mountain trip this weekend, I had the bright idea to throw my tarp OVER my ridgeline as opposed to it hanging from the prussic knots and biners. Tied everything down nice and tight, close but not too close to my hammock. I figured that would protect me from blowing rain.
    Around midnight, some serious rain started and plop....a nice big drop fell on my head in the hammock! Light on and I see that all along the ridgeline is water. So spring out of the hammock, pull up the stakes on one side and flip the tarp back to UNDER the ridgeline. Stayed dry the rest of the night.

So, here where I am curious. Was it the pressure of the line on the tarp that let it seep through? Or was it water moving down the ridgeline that dripped on me? Should I have seam sealed my Warbonnet BMMJ? I assumed it was sealed. (And it probably is!)

Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated.
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves." ~John Muir

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    My guess would be water running along the ridgeline. A very interesting phenomenon but if there is an angle from your tarp ridgeline down to the tarp, you could easily get water running down.

Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I would assume (and you know what they say about that) that it was water running down your ridge line. If its possible, set your tarp up in the yard and hit it with the hose for a while. Try your different set-ups and you'll know for sure where the leak came from. You can simulate some pretty serious rain and even "blowing" rain. I would focus on spraying the ridgeline and watching for water running along it. Hope this helps
    -Jon-

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    i always run my CRL under my superfly.
    to prevent any CRL drip i keep a 8" piece of mason's twine tied on the CRL where the tarp ridge begins and ends.
    it has worked well so far.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Yep, if you didn't have anything to divert it (like flatline talked about) I'd feel pretty confident that it was water moving down the ridgeline.
    Water running down hammock supports has also been a commonly discussed issue as well. It will sometimes wet the hammock, even soak it.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0DL/Nano 7/Nite Owl
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Trunks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassafras View Post
    Expecting some serious wind and weather on the last night of our Smokey Mountain trip this weekend, I had the bright idea to throw my tarp OVER my ridgeline as opposed to it hanging from the prussic knots and biners. Tied everything down nice and tight, close but not too close to my hammock. I figured that would protect me from blowing rain.
    Around midnight, some serious rain started and plop....a nice big drop fell on my head in the hammock! Light on and I see that all along the ridgeline is water. So spring out of the hammock, pull up the stakes on one side and flip the tarp back to UNDER the ridgeline. Stayed dry the rest of the night.

So, here where I am curious. Was it the pressure of the line on the tarp that let it seep through? Or was it water moving down the ridgeline that dripped on me? Should I have seam sealed my Warbonnet BMMJ? I assumed it was sealed. (And it probably is!)

Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated.
    My guess is it was the ridgeline wicking the water down on you. Having been in the Smokies myself this weekend I know that you were dealing with some serious rain! My buddies and I ended up tacking another 3 miles on Saturday night and hiked out right as the storm was coming in. Hope you had a good trip other than the occasional drip!!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Big Mambajamba
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jkloeker View Post
    My guess is it was the ridgeline wicking the water down on you. Having been in the Smokies myself this weekend I know that you were dealing with some serious rain! My buddies and I ended up tacking another 3 miles on Saturday night and hiked out right as the storm was coming in. Hope you had a good trip other than the occasional drip!!!
    We would have been wise to have done the same! We hiked further Sunday to be closer to the car and had a nice bridge to hide under in the event of a tornado. But it was an adventure and good testing ground for my hammock gear.
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves." ~John Muir

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0DL/Nano 7/Nite Owl
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Trunks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassafras View Post
    We would have been wise to have done the same! We hiked further Sunday to be closer to the car and had a nice bridge to hide under in the event of a tornado. But it was an adventure and good testing ground for my hammock gear.
    I meant Sunday. Darn long weekends always throw my days off

Hammock
    BB 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Just out of curiosity- what type of line are you using for your ridgeline? I've just started experimenting and have been trying the paracord. I'm worried that the "sponginess" of it might do the same thing drip lines or not.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I use Amsteel and Zing It
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

• + New Posts