Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DougTheElder View Post
    On the Yahoo Hammockcamping site (in the files section) there are exact dimensions for the HH UL. I'm gonna try cutting a Space Blanket to correct dimensions and attach it to the UnderCover with small, spaced-out pieces of velcro, unless someone has already tried this and found it doesn't work. What say ye?
    Do not use the self stick velcro, to avoid sewing on the hammock itself.... Did that 5-6 years ago.... big disaster... most miserable night....SB ripped to shreds for those interested....temp dropped...froze....abandoned cheap, quick approaches for dependable durable approaches.

Doug, FWIW, tis far better to put tabs on the SB and use the JRB SS you already own.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Images
    Pan,

Ahhh...the voice of wisdom and experience speaks again. Why didn't I think of that? (Not enough experience; not enough wisdom?) I'll bet you could tell some interesting sea stories about your trials and errors- you have made more than just that one error, haven't you?

DTE
    Sometimes even a Blind Hog finds an Acorn

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Images
    No, it doesn't work at all. I tested one out for a few days and was disappointed so I returned it. If anything, it is worse with one of those.
    Scott Macri
    www.IronFlyOptions.com

Hammock
    JRB BMBH w/ 2Q 3-zipper mod
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB MW3, HR on top
    Suspension
    WhoOpiesling!
    Images
    FWIW, I think it's Youngblood who has lots to say about the vapor barrier value of a SB. His main point is that it creates a vapor barrier away from the bottom of you hammock, ideally outboard of some kind of pad slung beneath the hammock (as is the case with HH Super Shelter). With the HH, the second layer of silnylon is not breathable anyway (unlike a down underquilt), so use the SB as a vapor barrier rather than some kind of heat reflector.

I use one with my HH Super shelter and find I get "about" a 10 *F benefit. I also sling them under my two son's HH Scout models and tie the square ends up over the ends of the hammock so the SB fits like a diaper.

From other members I understand to make sure there are no air gaps between the SB and the hammock, otherwise you lose alot of the benefit.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Pan,

Ahhh...the voice of wisdom and experience speaks again. Why didn't I think of that? (Not enough experience; not enough wisdom?) I'll bet you could tell some interesting sea stories about your trials and errors- you have made more than just that one error, haven't you?

DTE
    DTE,

You would not believe some of the stuff we tried in the early days..... Truthfully, we learned tons from what did not work.... And now days we often chuckle when someone suggests one hair brained idea or another.... Normally we no longer post the why it does not work because it was covered years ago and many folk are too lazy to search the archives... Besires each to their own and Their MMV....

Some things we learned.

For a back sweater PADS SUCK.... We tried 18 different pad combos or shapes before the first under quilt.... all came up short for one or more reasons.

Space blankets shred at the most in opportune time... Normally below 40 degrees.

Sturdy Space blankets with the bonded tarp material hold up but actually weigh more than our summer quilts and generally provide less than half the warmth..... can ya'll say dumb.

Open cell pads tear easy too....and become sponges in the wet or when loaded with non sensible sweat... neither are good.

ALWAYS TIE THE TARP TO THE TREES.

Self Tensioning Lines work.... after one tangles the tied in bungies once or twice the merit of the surgical tubing or theraband approach becomes clear.

Parachute cord will definately drop you......... It does not work well as a ridge cord either if you are in the string it tight club..

There is a reason for drip cords..... USE THEM ... unless you have isolating biners or rings in your suspension system. Laying in a bath tub is definately uncomfortable.....While we are on that subject, replace the loose web straps of overseas origins furnished on some gathered end pocket hammocks or use trippple drip cords and a big tarp over 99.4 % of the lines.... or just bring soap and your favorite tub toys.....Years ago I did get a wet hammock on a 45* night, no fun and much worry/lost sleep.

Bug nets are useful.... Just leave it home a couple of times and you will soon come to regret it... but hey, we were saving weight.... right? ... wrong!

Lots of different knots and lashings work.... some don't.... quickest way to the ground is trying someone elses "hot knot" as the sun is fading or the storm is raging....Me... I stick to my favorites..... Which since this spring is now no knot....the Tri-Glide.

Two hammocks on three trees normally results in tarp conflict or overlap unless they are square/diamond.... or ... unless the trees are all in a line.

Setting up over a rock or root is an invitation to disaster especially if under corded, see above........ using a new knot, see above....

Poncho liners weigh more than three season quilts..... but they are cheap

Poncho lines fail to keep you warm at 52*...

Windshield refectors (tried three of these in different ways) all fail to keep you warm at 52*....

Fleece under blanket we tried once also failed at 52*...

Putting a thermarest in your drawers id dumb, uncomfortable, and does not work.... at least it didn't for me...

DTE, all in all I don't regret these learned lessons.... They were expensive in wasted money trying to save a buck or find a cheap and often light answer....all in all I logged at least a dozen cold nights when the above ideas failed in the field, which was almost always when Mother Nature turned much nastier than forcasted and /or much nastier than my back yard test conditions.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    DTE,

You would not believe some of the stuff we tried in the early days..... Truthfully, we learned tons from what did not work.... And now days we often chuckle when someone suggests one hair brained idea or another.... Normally we no longer post the why it does not work because it was covered years ago and many folk are too lazy to search the archives... Besires each to their own and Their MMV....

DTE, all in all I don't regret these learned lessons.... They were expensive in wasted money trying to save a buck or find a cheap and often light answer....all in all I logged at least a dozen cold nights when the above ideas failed in the field, which was almost always when Mother Nature turned much nastier than forcasted and /or much nastier than my back yard test conditions.

Pan
    Pan,

On behalf of myself, and I’ll presume to speak for others here, thanks to you and your fellow hanging pioneers for making the mistakes you did, and allowing me to “learn from the mistakes of others”.

You have all undoubtedly saved me many uncomfortable nights.

Thanks again,

The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Hammock
    Clark Jungle Hammock
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Speer Underquilt

Pan

Hahaha! I loved that post, Pan!

Pan, maybe you should make a post with all of your knowledge, titled something like "Read this before doing anything."

I'm sure you'd save some people a lot of trouble.

Images
    Pan,
    Thanks for the straight skinny on Fundamental Hammocking Truths. Such is the underlying basis for my favorite philosophy "The bitterness of poor quality lingers far longer than the sweetness of a cheap price". I am convinced that a series of failed, inexpensive approaches is ultimately far more costly in terms of dollars and pain and suffering than simply starting with a system that is acknowledged by a broad cross section of the experienced hammocking community to be one of the best. Notice that I started my hammocking experience with JRB on top and bottom, and any experiments with the likes of space blankets, etc are mere dabblings for entertainment value. It's comforting to validate, from time to time, the decision to go first class from the beginning.
    DTE
    Sometimes even a Blind Hog finds an Acorn

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Pan,
    Thanks for the straight skinny on Fundamental Hammocking Truths. Such is the underlying basis for my favorite philosophy "The bitterness of poor quality lingers far longer than the sweetness of a cheap price". I am convinced that a series of failed, inexpensive approaches is ultimately far more costly in terms of dollars and pain and suffering than simply starting with a system that is acknowledged by a broad cross section of the experienced hammocking community to be one of the best. Notice that I started my hammocking experience with JRB on top and bottom, and any experiments with the likes of space blankets, etc are mere dabblings for entertainment value. It's comforting to validate, from time to time, the decision to go first class from the beginning.
    DTE
    DTE....

Yup first class definately get more appealing the day one is center seat sandwiched between two 350 pounders in coach... The point really stinks when sitting on the tarmac at Atlanta in August, for 80 + minutes, with the a/c not working, just fan........ Glad that you skipped that experiance...

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12