Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    OES deluxe
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    south central? I went to HS in Hopkinsville. Might not be central enough, but is certainly South. I am picturing BG, or maybe Fairview. LOL

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    Welcome Eagleout from your neighbor in Central Ky. Where in S. Central Ky are ya. For an inexpensive hammock with bugnet take a look the Skeeter Beeter Pro from Grand Trunk Goods.
    Chris

Hammock
    WBBB, DIY, ENO DN
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    3 days “In-school”
    Images
    Howdy, from Tennessee. I'm from Glasgow, Ky myself. Good to see another guy from back home.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Welcome, Eagleout. When I was doing tent camping, I couldn't sleep well at all and always woke up miserable. I like to get my 9 or 10 hours of sleep and it just couldn't happen in a tent, not even with multiple foam pads and I even tried air mattresses. I don't have slipped disks or anything, but I have definitely had back problems off and on, especially after sleeping on the ground.

One night in a hammock, and I knew I would never go back to sleeping on the ground. I could not believe how totally refreshed I felt. The only time I woke up was for the obligatory morning whizz, but I went right back to sleep.

I'm now in my second year of hammock camping. I never had a problem sleeping in a hammock, and never had a size consideration like you. I'm a slight 5'10" and 160 lbs, so my beginner hammock (Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip) worked out just fine. Thanks, Mr. Hennessy for getting me hanging with tarp and hammock for $149.95. While the Hennessy Expedition Asym is great for me, I doubt it would work too well for a guy your size. They do have other models for your weight and height that would get you into the hammock swing quickly, as do other hammock vendors.

Next I did a couple of DIY hammocks for the kids, using Byer Moskito Hammocks and Funky Forest Tarps. I also caught the DIY bug and made my own whoopie slings, adjustable ridgeline and soft shackles. Though I've never used a sewing machine in my life, I borrowed the mother-in-law's machine and made some snake skins and stuff sacks. I've also experimented with Tyvek tarps and really like the results.

Tonight I am replacing the Hennessy suspension with DIY whoopie slings. The Hammock Forum has wonderful people who do tutorials and videos that show you exactly how to do this, as well as tons of other DIY projects.

I'm pacing myself on this hammock camping thing because I don't want to just throw money away. It can be a very expensive habit. I figure it will take a couple of years to get my 4-season setup down pat. I know I need to invest in a winter tarp, but I'm taking my time on deciding if I'm going to buy one or DIY. Then there are the whole pad vs. top/underquilt decisions to make. Even if you DIY, tarps and top/underquilts are expensive.

I've also tossed the Coleman stove, and have invested in a Swedish Trangia Mess Kit, and I've also made my own lightweight alcohol stoves. I must have made 15 stoves before I made the one that suits me.

Finally, I'm working out the whole issue of how to feed myself on the trail and have to restrain myself from buying my own food dehydrator and vacuum packing machine. I've always enjoyed cooking elaborate meals on the trail, but the weight of the cookery and fresh food (not to mention the coolers and ice) just aren't making sense anymore. I hate myself for even thinking like a gram weenie, but I cannot resist the siren song of the gram weenies.

Good luck on your hammock journey. Once you find a hammock that will accommodate your size and give you a good night's sleep, I hope you become as obsessed with this multi-dimensional forum as the rest of us!

Hammock
    Warbonett BB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream2
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    Welcome eagleout. Glad to have ya along. KY is one of my favorite states and spent the last 5 days there in the Land Between the Lakes. Darn weather wasn't the best but good time and pretty country none the less. Hope hammocking provides some relief for that back.

Welcome from lbl, ky. Smoke, wish I would have known you were here, we could have compared setups. I'd love to get a lbl hang together.

I'm hanging tonight! Its a beautiful night in Ky!

Images
    There will be a hang in Middle Tennessee next month if you are intersted in checking out some different hammocks. There is a thread in the hang/trip planning section of the forum. It is listed as "5th annual mid tn fakk hangout oct 14,15,16".

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=37058

It will be at the Meryweather Lewis Monument campground on the Natchez Trace. I live near Clarksville, TN and I believe it took me about 1.5 hrs to get there for the spring hang.

Ragnall

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12