Hammock Bliss Double and Haven XL
    Tarp
    Some rando.
    Insulation
    Varies.
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/strap
    Quote Originally Posted by L.D. Cakes View Post
    Wow, This is very surprising. My Chinook has been a bomb proof tarp in many windy and stormy events. If you took pictures, or if you could take some please. I'd like to see them if your's could possibly be made different than mine. I bought mine a couple years ago and hope they haven't changed manufacturers. That would be a shame as these have been dependable hardy tarps.

Funny you should ask.... I was just about to post a link to some pics. Bottom line, I most likely strung it up too tight. I didnt think it was too tight, no tighter than alot of pictures I see on here of other people's tarps. Ive never hung a nylon tarp so maybe my expectations of its strength were overestimated. Heres a link to the photos....

http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m236/robv60/Tarp/

Hammock
    DIY DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by robv60 View Post
    Funny you should ask.... I was just about to post a link to some pics. Bottom line, I most likely strung it up too tight. I didnt think it was too tight, no tighter than alot of pictures I see on here of other people's tarps. Ive never hung a nylon tarp so maybe my expectations of its strength were overestimated. Heres a link to the photos....

http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m236/robv60/Tarp/
    wow, it almost looks like the seam completely missed the mark on the last photo. Another tarp option bites the bullet IMO- I was very close to ordering a chinook. Think I'm gonna have to break down and just invest the fundage in a JrB or something.

Thanks for the pics!
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

Hammock
    Tarp
    Some rando.
    Insulation
    Varies.
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/strap
    I have been in contact with Chinook and they have just asked me to "cut the Chinook label and a piece of the material where the defect seam is and mail it to us....when we receive it, we will send you a new one." I'm not too keen on cutting the tarp! I mean if its guaranteed they'll send an entirely brand new tarp in the same size and color i suppose its worth a shot. But if I never receive a new one and I have a mutilated tarp that I could probably repair otherwise....Id be pretty miffed to say the least.

EDIT: I contacted Chinook after the above offer and expressed my concerns over being potentially stuck with a useless tarp and said if they would GUARANTEE that I would receive a new one the same size and color Id bite. They came back with a simple email saying "Its a Guarantee". Looks like Ill be slicing up a tarp tonight. ::yikes::
    Last edited by robv60; 05-26-2012 at 09:36.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Some rando.
    Insulation
    Varies.
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/strap
    Ugh, I cut the **** thing all to hell (not an easy thing to do but they guaranteed it so....) and sent it t them....Been 8 business days since i shipped the "scraps". I havent heard anything from them yet but to be fair, I didnt expect to... because USPS said it would be 6-8 days before they received it. Customs and all that mess. Just posting an update. We'll see what happens. Playing the waiting game at this point.

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    I just read the warranty and it seems pretty clear that it is guaranteed against manufacturer defects for life. This should be the best course to take. I'm anxious to hear the outcome! I'm curious, did they have you send it to the New York address or Ontario?
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    Tarp
    Some rando.
    Insulation
    Varies.
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/strap
    I just read the warranty and it seems pretty clear that it is guaranteed against manufacturer defects for life. This should be the best course to take. I'm anxious to hear the outcome! I'm curious, did they have you send it to the New York address or Ontario?
    Yeah i read that warranty and was impressed and hopeful. They had me send it to Ontario.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Some rando.
    Insulation
    Varies.
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/strap

***update***

Well, my replacement tarp came in from Chinook the middle of this past week. While I havent had a chance to fully inspect it yet, the few corners I have looked at seem pretty well sewn. The ridgeline seam tape is in MUCH better condition than the previous one. No lifting or peeling and is stuck down nice and flat. Also, the coated side of the tarp did not stick to itself when trying to unfold it for the first time. All in all I have been very pleased with Chinook's customer service and willingness to stand behind their product and warranty. Even though I bought mine from some no-name seller through amazon, I didnt have to go through amazon for the return which was wonderful not to have to deal with that hassle. I contacted Chinook directly through the email on their website and the rest is history. No problems whatsoever. I did have to pay to ship it to Canada but that was only about $6 USPS flat rate box so who cares- small price to pay. Lesson: buy your chinook direct from a Chinook authorized dealer to ensure the tarp is new stock in good condition.

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Thank goodness, good to hear. I'm glad Chinook hasn't gone south like Guide Gear. Still good manufacturing practices and customer service. The other one must have been a second sold out the back door!
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    Tarp
    Some rando.
    Insulation
    Varies.
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/strap
    Thank goodness, good to hear. I'm glad Chinook hasn't gone south like Guide Gear. Still good manufacturing practices and customer service. The other one must have been a second sold out the back door!
    Ha ha, yeah thats what Im thinking it was. That being said I need to hang it and figure out how tight of a pitch it "tight enough". I still cant say with absolute certainty that I didnt cause the issue with too tight of a pitch. I didnt think I had it too tight but....who knows.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123