Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

FatPad bridge tested in Oregon (Pics)

I posted a thread about a new hammock build that uses a NeoAir pad.

Naturally, a few people were curious as to what the hammock looked like when occupied. Here are some shots from last week-ends wonderful visit to the North Umpqua Trail and Toketee Hot Springs.

Getting in the hammock is easy. I hung it low to accommodate bunk style hanging.

Initially everything looked cool.

But, when I woke up, I saw some bad tilting in the fatpad hammock. It made me a little sad.

The occupant was partly off the pad leaning into the netting. But she slept and slept, and then reported it was the most comfortable hammock experience EVER! Well, I guess we were lucky it was such a warm night. But I see the need for stabilizing the pad in the hammock. I made a WRONG assumption that because there appeared to be no room for the pad to slip, that it would therefor not slip. Maybe if a person repositioned themselves carefully by grabbing the pad this could consistently be avoided. And when I use the hammock, I do just that. However I want to make it trouble-free for my GF. So it is clear, I have a bit of refinement that must be made to really complete this project.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images
    Thanks for the report/update! So now we see that the ~rectangular shape of a bridge, while making pad use easier, does not fool proof it. So the weight added with the pad pocket of the JRB- or maybe an SPE ( +~4 oz), still has some benefits.

I'm not sure I could not still slip off to the side using a 25-26" wide pad with the JRB, but it would be me slipping, not the pad, and I would end up partially supported by the side wall of the hammock. But I don't think the pad can move, has not so far anyway.

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    Looks cool.. I have been meaning to try out a bridge sometime.

Hammock
    Switchback 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE prototype hex
    Insulation
    Leighlo hi and low
    Suspension
    strap/ring buckle
    Just got a bridge myself. While laying in it with shoulder squeeze, I found myself daydreaming of a rectangular bridge with spreader bars on the bottom as well. Has this been attempted? Too heavy for the grams counters/hikers? Think the pad would slip in that configuration as well? I really like the theory of a bridge but the shoulders might not like it so much by morning. I'm giving it to a friend. She is tiny and has no complaints.
    The gene pool needs a life guard.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Thanks for the report/update! So now we see that the ~rectangular shape of a bridge, while making pad use easier, does not fool proof it. So the weight added with the pad pocket of the JRB- or maybe an SPE ( +~4 oz), still has some benefits.

I'm not sure I could not still slip off to the side using a 25-26" wide pad with the JRB, but it would be me slipping, not the pad, and I would end up partially supported by the side wall of the hammock. But I don't think the pad can move, has not so far anyway.
    Yes, BillyBob, the +4 oz pad sleeve of a commercial hammock performs it's task well. A few times I tried to skimp on this feature in my DIY versions. While the weight savings may or may not be worth it to me, a more restless sleeper should not have to take a chance on the possibility of poor performance. So since this will sometimes be a loaner hammock, it needs to be fixed.

Thanks, Gary_R , I certainly recommend that you try a bridge hammock.

Milarky I take it that you are describing your feeling in a bridge hammock without an inflated pad. In the post that I link to I explained that the fatpad lifts the occupant, in some cases eliminating all shoulder squeeze. The commercial bridge hammock is a much deeper trough to begin with. However, you may want to try it with a fat pad if you have one in your gear closet. Otherwise, good move giving it to the petite girl.

Hammock
    Switchback 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE prototype hex
    Insulation
    Leighlo hi and low
    Suspension
    strap/ring buckle
    I prefer UQs and I've got plenty of them . BTW your design is pretty cool and I've been mulling it over. Still think I'll try spreader bars on the bottom as well; at least one at the head end. I'm a car camper so weight doesn't matter. Might even make extra length for the pup. That means I'll need an end quilt (EQ) too
    The gene pool needs a life guard.

Lower Spreaders

The lower spreader idea seems like a good one. It is hard to put in to practice though. It is partly because in order for the spreader bars to be effective, they need to distribute the weight along the curve coming from the tree attachments. An added pair of spreaders placed below would become weight carrying. This would cause a new curve to the tree attachments that would raise your center of gravity, making it tipsy. However, I am sure there are ways of doing it that I have not thought of, and I wish you well in finding a way to use the lower spreaders.

I recall Grizz did some experimentation with this concept. If he's around, maybe he can chime in.

Looks good Victor. I'm not sure you would even need a full double layer. I would think that even a 6" wide strip or even two belts across the inside of the hammock would keep the pad from shifting sideways. If they were located at around the lower shoulder blade and knee areas, the ends of the pads shouldn't be able to slip sideways.

Very nice design, maybe you could sew in a couple 2-3in wide strips to the inside bottom of the hammock then slip the pad in under the strips? This might hold the pad in place?!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dblhmmck View Post
    The lower spreader idea seems like a good one. It is hard to put in to practice though. It is partly because in order for the spreader bars to be effective, they need to distribute the weight along the curve coming from the tree attachments. An added pair of spreaders placed below would become weight carrying. This would cause a new curve to the tree attachments that would raise your center of gravity, making it tipsy. However, I am sure there are ways of doing it that I have not thought of, and I wish you well in finding a way to use the lower spreaders.

I recall Grizz did some experimentation with this concept. If he's around, maybe he can chime in.
    Good memory. Yep, I tinkered with that idea a while, documented somewhere in the long-running original bridge hammock thread methinks.
    Restating what Victor said, perhaps with a little different emphasis. For the bottom spreader bar to actually spread, it has to be pulled away from the hammock, meaning another suspension triangle. You then have a very delicate job of getting the lines just exactly the right length so that both suspensions carry load and spread the hammock out. Otherwise "the other" suspension is just flapping around. Seemed in the end more bother than what I was able to get out of the concept so I didn't push any farther on it. But, as Victor suggests, that just means the way is open for someone else with new insights to make it work.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast