1.9 SL DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    GuideGear12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart UQ 550FP
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Is Grosgrain required for UQ

I am trying to save $ making a UQ and want to know if I can skip the grosgrain.

My plan is to cinch the head and foot ends with shock cord and cord locks.
    I want to hang the UQ on a continuous suspension loop of shock cord that will run thru channels on the long sides.

The grosgrain gives it a professional, finished look. But, can I just sew channels directly into the nylon fabric when I hem the edges? Is there danger of the shock cord wearing thru the thin nylon? Does the UQ not stay in place as well when you slide it up and down the suspension if it is sliding thru nylon channels instead of thru grosgrain channels? Am I overlooking something else?

I may also try to save $ by sewing loops onto each corner for the suspension and just tying any cord from the loops to the triangle thingies. However, I am pretty sure I will eventually use the continuous loop method so I want to go ahead and put the channels in now.

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Grossgrain is not required. You're right, it looks nice, and it's a bit sturdier, but not necessary.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    1.9 oz DIY Speer Type
    Tarp
    DIY sil 10X12 camo
    Insulation
    Dwn SB/dwn DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I made my down winter UQ with grosgrain (from Scott! Thanks!)and I made a summer quilt (fleece sewed to 1.1 oz shell) and just used the nylon as the channel. I would definitely use the grosgrain on any others I make. I say this since you said you wanted to use a continuous loop of shock cord for the suspension, which is what I did on both of these. The summer quilt without the shock cord does not have the 'stiffness' on the side edges to stay stretched out and it tends to slide down from both the head and foot ends and bunch up. The winter quilt with the grosgrain has no problems with this! If you were going to attach the suspension to each corner and not a continuous loop I would say don't worry about the grosgrain. Saying all of this, I think you could make it either way, but from my experience I will put it on all of my underquilts!
    Last edited by harrell79cj5; 09-06-2011 at 15:53. Reason: added a 'to'

Hammock
    1.9 SL DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    GuideGear12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart UQ 550FP
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Thanks Scott. I hate to be a penny pincher, but . . .

BTW, I am not a gram weenie, but there are many on this forum who are. Why do the gram weenies add grosgrain? Shouldnt the gram weenies sew channels directly into the nylon to save weight?

Hammock
    1.9 SL DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    GuideGear12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart UQ 550FP
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Thanks Harrel.

You confirmed what I suspected --- that the UQ would slide too much in the nylon channels. I think I will leave the long side channels off all together and go with the loops in the corner method.

The downside to the loop in the corner method is you cannot easily adjust the position of the UQ, right? You certainly cannot adjust it while laying in the hammock.

If I go with the loops in the corner, will it be difficult to add grosgrain channels later?

Last Question, I need channels in the head and foot ends to cinch them tight whether I use continuous loop or tie outs in the corner. Is there any downside to the "cinching" channels being nylon instead of grosgrain?

Hammock
    gathered-end /w sock
    Tarp
    catcut w/doors
    Insulation
    UQ10D860/ TQ15D700
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wwk10 View Post
    Why do the gram weenies add grosgrain? Shouldnt the gram weenies sew channels directly into the nylon to save weight?
    I am a gram weenie and I never add grosgrain -- because I am a REAL gram weenie

Hammock
    gathered-end /w sock
    Tarp
    catcut w/doors
    Insulation
    UQ10D860/ TQ15D700
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    You confirmed what I suspected --- that the UQ would slide too much in the nylon channels. I think I will leave the long side channels off all together and go with the loops in the corner method.

The downside to the loop in the corner method is you cannot easily adjust the position of the UQ, right? You certainly cannot adjust it while laying in the hammock.
    You can. Add a carabiner for easy attachment to each corner. I added 2 elastic cords to my structural ridgeline via prussics (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...hp?i=13148&c=4). At both ends of each elastic cord I added cordlocks onto which I hung the carabiners (here without carabiners: http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...hp?i=13147&c=4). To adjust the UQ-position lenghthwise I am moving the prussics along the ridgeline. To adjust the sides of the UQ I am moving the cordlocks.

If I go with the loops in the corner, will it be difficult to add grosgrain channels later?
    I see no reason why this should not work. I'd recommend adding channels on each side anyways -- it's a better fit to have elastic cord inside of the side-channels. Again, I have never needed grosgrain and I am quite sure I won't use it in the future -- it just adds too much weight and if you are sewing carefully your UQ looks even better without the grosgrain (most people use grosgrain for the "nice finish"). I haven't even used grosgrain for my tarps.

Last Question, I need channels in the head and foot ends to cinch them tight whether I use continuous loop or tie outs in the corner. Is there any downside to the "cinching" channels being nylon instead of grosgrain?
    The only downside I can imagine is when you're not cleanly folding or treating your material/edges such that the edges fray inside the channel (but that can also happen to grosgrain-channels).
    Make sure your channels aren't too tight -- that's one of the "mistakes" I did.

Have a look at my TUQ-thread here: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=30241

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by trinni View Post
    I am a gram weenie and I never add grosgrain -- because I am a REAL gram weenie
    I'm go with trinni!

I simply route my suspension through the hem of the nylon underquilt.

I would be able to feel the grossgain tugging at my underquilt during the night, weighing it down - I just know I could feel it!!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    1.9 SL DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    GuideGear12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart UQ 550FP
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Trinni,
    Thanks for the detailed reply.
    I have decided to make nylon channels on all four edges.
    I will cinch the head and foot with shock cord thru the channels.
    I will leave the side channels empty for now.
    I will suspend from four loops; one in each corner.

Hammock
    gathered-end /w sock
    Tarp
    catcut w/doors
    Insulation
    UQ10D860/ TQ15D700
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    Trinni,
    Thanks for the detailed reply.
    You're very welcome! Sharing our experiences and discussing them pushes every one of us forward.

I have decided to make nylon channels on all four edges.
    Good idea! Don't forget your precaution regarding the fray.

I will cinch the head and foot with shock cord thru the channels.
    Shock cord is a good idea -- this is one thing I would also change in my design (instead of dyneema cord) having hung with the UQ several times now.

I will leave the side channels empty for now.
    Have some shock cord ready... It's more snug with some inside the channels -- else your your UQ is going to "hang loose". The grams are worth it.

I will suspend from four loops; one in each corner.
    You'll need nothing more.

Welcome to gram-weenie-thinking-world!

• + New Posts