Hammock
    DIY SL 1.9 Black
    Tarp
    OES Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Big Agnes IAC
    Suspension
    Whoopies or cinch
    "Let" might not be the right word haha. My girlfriend has been in the outdoors with me on two occasions, both of which where less than fun and one ended up with me almost being arrested.....my friends got me in a lot of trouble and it was nothing with her but she wouldnt stop giving me this attitude.......but anyways she doesnt know what to do out there but if SHE DID then I would feel just fine with her being out there alone. The wilderness has all sorts of fun that sometimes needs to be gone at alone.

If it is a matter of not having someone to go with there are a few websites that offer meetup services for individuals looking for a group or maybe just one or two people to go out and hike with.
    Every time I hang in a tree I get a coconut to the head.....stupid coconuts

Hammock
    HH Expedition zip, WBBB 1.7
    Tarp
    stock, diy tarp
    Suspension
    stock
    Images
    Thanks everyone for such a fast response. Just looking for new ideas how to sell him on it.

Cannibal said: "I sent her off for an AT thru on her own"

that is my ultimate goal, to do some of the AT.(yrs away)

mountaingoat and thorwren, It's nice to hear from other women, I trust my skills to do a easy 1-2 overnighters, Hubby on the other hand (my skills are better then his)..............

JPsax said: "If it is a matter of not having someone to go with there are a few websites that offer meetup services for individuals looking for a group or maybe just one or two people to go out and hike with."

yes, I am signed up with several groups. I also like the idea of being by myself. we ( I ) go camping several times a year. I would like to go out more, that is where I come into the trouble. I'm not looking to travel but maybe 1 or 2 hr distance so that cuts down on partners.

At this point I am about ready to go whether he likes it or not.
    formally known as "carolb"
    Spread the love baby, Spread the Love!
    Get the Ketchup!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Heh. "Let" her go on her own...

My wife, should she ever get the lark to actually go backpacking (not holding my breath here) would inform me that she was going and when to expect her back. Any attempted--attempted, I say--interference would be promptly shot down, stomped on, torn into little pieces, the pieces burned, and then urinated upon.

I don't "let" my wife do anything. She decides when and how to do things her own way.

Now, she also gives me the same respect...so I think things are about as fair as possible.

I assume that she's an adult who had been caring (quite well) for herself for many years before I came along. I think--correction, know--she still has that capability; and, even if she didn't, I sure as heck wouldn't want to be the cause of her losing it! It's one of the things that attracted me to her in the first place. Sue me: I like strong, independent-minded women.

Now, when decisions that are going to affect both of us come up, we do sit down and talk about them before going through with them. If nothing else, the ability to have two heads rather than one looking for rough spots is a good thing!

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, NX 270, D H Sparrow
    Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ, LL UQ
    Suspension
    WS,straps,toggles
    Images
    FLRider, you put it eloquently and accurately. That is exactly the kind of relationship my wife and I have - mutual respect. I could never disrespect my soul mate enough to suppose that I could "rule" her, nor would I want to.

Crackmunk, as the saying goes, "You go girl!", you sound more than merely up to the task, you need to go.
    Love your enemies, but keep your gun oiled!

I am a CONCENTRATED vegetarian. I let the cows eat all the grass, and then I eat the cows!

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    The whole concept of "let" is odd. I really don't understand one person controlling another like that.

My wife has traversed the Olympics and the Wonderland Trail, traveled to Europe, China, and the wilds of Manhattan.

Hammock
    HH Expedition zip, WBBB 1.7
    Tarp
    stock, diy tarp
    Suspension
    stock
    Images
    OH don't get me wrong we have a = relationship. He would give me the world if he could and try. This is just about the one thing we cant agree on. And he would go with me if he could, But can't any more. He fears are based on the safety aspect of being out on my own. Bears, snakes, broken bones,.........

It's nice to know that most of the guys on here are open minded and not over barring (*&).

I guess my Ques should have been:
    would your wife let you go out camping by yourself even with all the bears, cats, snakes....., and the possibility of breaking bones out on the trail with no help. OH and the "Deliverance Factor" ( more for a woman then a man )
    formally known as "carolb"
    Spread the love baby, Spread the Love!
    Get the Ketchup!

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackMunk View Post
    .... I guess my Ques should have been:
    would your wife let you go out camping by yourself even with all the bears, cats, snakes....., and the possibility of breaking bones out on the trail with no help.
    My wife has reservations about me going solo but she knows I love it ... if I can't pair up with my pals for a trip to the piney woods. BUT she does insist I carry a PLB when solo ... mainly because anything could happen and she worries more about me as I get older. I accuse her of wanting to make sure the body is recovered for insurance purposes!

OF COURSE anymore even I keep looking behind me to make sure any parts haven't fallen off!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Images
    If I were single and wanted to go out by myself, I would. I believe firmly in enjoying my life while being sensible about things. While not foolproof, common sense can be a wonderful preventative.

That having been said. Lump and I do everything together. People look at us strangely over that, but it is true. We are part of each others lives. We both had terrible first marriages and we've fixed that in this one.

I don't think I would solo something now. I don't know if my hubby could survive my solo adventure. All joking aside, it is wonderful to have a partner to adventure with and it makes re-living the adventures much more fun.

Perhaps you can settle your husband's fears by starting on a very tame hike. Is there a local family park with hiking trails around your place? See if he'll go hiking with you there. As comfort level increases, try some more adventurous hikes and maybe you can graduate to weekend trips with your husband.

Sincerely,
    Sluggie

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackMunk View Post
    would your wife let you go out camping by yourself even with all the bears, cats, snakes....., and the possibility of breaking bones out on the trail with no help. OH and the "Deliverance Factor" ( more for a woman then a man )
    I think these thing apply to all loved ones going solo, not necessarily just women. (By the way, try telling Ned Beatty that the deliverence factor applies more to women.)

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Images
    Speaking of said husband, he pointed out where you said that he would go if he could but can't anymore. I missed that. I had simply spotted where you expressed his fears several times. I did not been to be insensitive or a bubble brain.

Sluggie

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast