Hammock
    HH Expedition zip, WBBB 1.7
    Tarp
    stock, diy tarp
    Suspension
    stock
    Images
    @ Sluggie, No worries
    he car camps with me at campgrounds as he is disabled and can't hike anymore. hell he has a hard time walking in the back woods with the dogs!

@Hawkeye, I am going to check that out! I didn't even know about PLB's, did a quick search and saw that I can rent or buy one for under $200. That is allot $$ but then again it is the one piece of gear no one should be with out! and I think That just might help my situation.
    formally known as "carolb"
    Spread the love baby, Spread the Love!
    Get the Ketchup!

Images
    there are other fears. people change on long distant hikes. some good, some not so good.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Of course my wife can go out in the piney woods by herself....that being said, she won't. That has nothing to do with me. She is a city girl, she goes to NYC all the time by herself. That is something I don't like to do. I would rather spend a week in the woods by myself. To each there own.
    @Crackmunk, is you want a hiking partner, both a human and a few canines, send me a PM sometime.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    CCS
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    WB Strap
    Images
    With knowing the basics of "outdoors", I think it may even be safer in the woods then in town. Just boils down to when hiking, it is pretty much up to you, if something should arise. In the real world, town, it could be a lot of factors not in our control. I have lost friends and family on our highways. I have not lost any friend or family in the woods. Of course friends and family drive a whole lot more than hike.

I would let my wife go on her own, but preferably with someone else, safety in numbers. That said when we lived in Colorado we worked with an outfitter and she would go out in the morning and many times come home the next day. Drove my nuts!!! But no cell phones back then, no towers either, I even left her on a mountain one time overnight with three men and they hoped she was in charge because they had no woods sense. Yes, I was back at the crack of dawn, but she already had them almost off the mountain by then anyway.

If one has common sense and some woods-sense, and as thorwren posted, modern safety techniques and Spot, then go take a hike, with a friend.

Solo, I don't think I would be happy with that, but my wife has some issues now that she didn't in her younger days. She used to be a tough old girl, but after her stroke, she knows she has limitations. But when she was on her horse, she was in charge and showed it. We live in a different world now, I still solo, but am more nervous than I used to be.

Now, my SIL? Forget it.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    IDK but the mere mention of the notion let or not letting can pretty much guarentee that my wife would do it.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    CM, you're asking the right questions and getting good replies. Your dog may be a real asset in camp. Mine has entirely different behavior on day hikes, but quite obviously goes into "guard mode" when I make camp - sits, facing out from a high spot about 40 feet from me and quietly scans the woods, sometimes responds to noises with a low growl. He also does a good job of keeping mice and chipmunks in hiding when I have my food bag out. He sleeps under my hammock on a pad or in his own hammock, and I usually tie him up at night. This didn't take any training at all. He's done this from the start. I keep him on a leash while hiking because he carries a pack, and his trail behavior is more like "day hike mode". Your dog may differ, but it may be worth it to give him a trial.

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    Quote Originally Posted by thorwren View Post
    If you mean out hiking and camping alone, I think it depends on the girl, the location, and her skills.
    This^
    (And my girlfriend doesn't need my permission to do anything.)
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    DD Tarp 3x3
    Insulation
    GarQuilt/Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    My SO has gone on a yearly sabbatical for 6-7 years now. And she typically does this on her motorcycle. Some of her time is spent alone on these trips and some is spent with family and friends. Her choice.

As my interest in hammocking has grown, she has also developed an interest and we have both figured out that it would allow her to go out for longer periods of time as it decreases, or in some cases, does away with lodging costs.

Her ultimate goal has been to go on a 50 state motorcycling journey. She now feels that the trip is even more doable with a hammock. So when she decides she is ready, she will undoubtedly do it. And I think it will be great.

The only thing I asked her to do was to consider taking the concealed handgun course so she could have the option of traveling with a side arm. I told her I was planning on taking it as well.

She jumped on that and has already touched base with an instructor and is on the list to attend his next session.

When she first starters going out on these journeys, I worried a lot about her and wanted to know her exact itineraries and wanted her to check in and such. At some point, I realized that was about my fears and that I needed to deal with them and not burden her with them. It only seemed fair as she treats me the same when I want to go out into the wild alone.

When she is out and I am not in a 'good place', the fears can get me all out of whack. But I find that when I can control my fears and let her enjoy life, I get to benefit from sharing in the wonderful stories of her journeys when she returns.

Sorry for all the rambling, but I said all that to say that I would encourage you to do everything in your power to make these dreams of yours come true.

Be safe in your travels!

Hammock
    11' Mutton Chop
    Tarp
    Camo Cuben Palace
    Insulation
    Loco Libre!
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    I was backpacking on the AT with my 14yo daughter a few weeks ago and at the end of our day we met up with a pair of women SOBO hikers. They had just finished a 34 mile day! They had only intended on hiking a 28 mile day but were enticed by the prospect of hot showers if they went the 6 extra miles. They hiked from 6am to 7pm. That's some pace for a couple of girls. They didn't start out together but had been hiking "sort of together" (as thruhikers do) for a few weeks.

While talking to one of them, I asked her if she was like many of the young thruhikers out there - a recent college graduate. Her reply was, "No, I just graduated high school." Wow! She'd hike the 100-mile Wilderness with her father and brother then set out on her own from there. She had a Spot PLB with her mainly to ease the minds of her family some.

The other woman was 40ish and married. When I asked her the poorly worded question, "So, how does a married woman hike the AT?", she aggressively shot back, "How does a married man hike it?" Touche, but then I clarified the context of my question. She explained that she was strong willed and after 16(?) years of marriage that her husband knew better than to get all macho on her. She certainly could handle herself out there.

I was extremely happy that we ran into these 2 independent and capable women. It was a great for my 14yo daughter to see that women can do these things, often to the dismay of others. An excellent moment.

All of that said, I think that if ANYONE is confident enough to go out alone of their own free will, then they should, as long as they have the skills to. They may even NEED to.
    perrito

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I do what I can to make my wife feel more comfortable when I am out alone. Even if it really doesn't make a stinking bit of difference. I bought a cell phone (pay as you go) so that I had communication to the world _if_ something happened. What she didn't realize was that fully 95% of where I would go had no cell phone service. But it made her feel better.

I respect your desire to go out alone. I respect your desire to alleviate your hubby's fears. Find out what would put his mind at ease. Or as at ease a possible. Take a certification course in first aid. Learn how to build fires. Demonstrate your ability to deal with the foreseeable emergencies. This will build your own confidence as well as potentially ease his mind. If you already have these skills please excuse my presumption.

I suspect his concern is sincerely for your safety, not to deny your desire.. I know mine would be. This is not a situation I would face as my wife considers a three block walk to be a day hike. But in any event, the counterpart to taking "let" out of the equation is to place "peace of mind" into it as much as possible.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast