The tarp in the back is mine and has the Glowire. Seems to reflect well
    Last edited by Walking Dead; 09-08-2011 at 06:09. Reason: correct pic link

Hammock
    DIY(s)
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    I have used some in the past. Pretty reflective when new, but does not hold up well under abrasion at all. I've had enough pieces break that I stopped using it. Maybe I'm just hard on my rope but I wasn't impressed in the end.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Triptease is fine for what it's intended to do and have been field tested probably more than any other line because of it's popularity.

I don't use it just because it does reflect light. I only stealth camp and I don't want to be the beacon on the hill. Of course, that requires me to watch my step around camp
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Update:
    I really like the lawson reflective cord with the exception of the previously mentioned fusing issue. It's very, very reflective from a distance with my headlamp or other light. If you hold the light in your hand and shine around there's almost no reflection back to your eyes. A headlamp or other light near eye level makes the line glow like a laser beam.

My only other gripe is that I bought a 50' hank and tried to replace the lines on my tarp and use the rest for another project. Unfortunately I went "short" on my tarp lines so they're not as usable as I would like. If I can find a better method for fusing the ends maybe I'll buy another hank and cut it much longer to replace my replacement lines.....

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    Cuben Hexalite
    Insulation
    InsuLite Foam
    Suspension
    TreeStrap/Whoopie
    The reason the cord doesn't fuse together as good as a pure nylon or polyester is because of the Dyneema core. It will not melt into the nylon due to a few reasons. Most people are not use to this because most Dyneema cords actually have a hybrid core with very little Dyneema. Alot of manufacturer's use this tactic for advertising and to reduce cost. In result you end up with a cord full of hype, stretch and premature break numbers. One other thing I wanted to note is we recently added another reflective tracer so now its twice as reflective as before. One thing to note is you can buy the cord in any length you want as long as its in 50' increments. So if you want 100' of cord just write in the comments section upon checkout that you want 100' uncut. The cord is custom made for me in 4,000' rolls so any length is possible. Thanks.
    Last edited by Mountainfitter; 09-12-2011 at 01:00.

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Just outfitted with the Glow-wire from Lawson on my Superfly and hit out with it this weekend. NOT the thing to use for Stealth camping as mentioned. Headlamp on and pointing in that direction and MAN were there bright white lines pointing to the corner of my tarp and too the pullouts. And because I don't know what I'm doing I have about 10 foot lengths on it all so they were long. Anybody with a lantern knew where my lines were run though. I figure if I go hiking and want to be more stealth I'll just knot it up close and have less in the air. Wish I would have taken a picture in the dark like the one above.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Whoopies-n-Huggers
    Thanks for the input. As soon as I have the cash, I'll buy some of the glow wire. It will be nice to see my tie outs when I want to. I can always remove them and use the stock tie outs (permanently attached)on my tarp if I want to go stealth.
    We must all learn to live together as brothers--or we will all perish together as fools. MLK

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Don't forget and order a figure 9 and some linelocs. I'm using Cinch knots and a couple pieces of scrap Poly cutting board from Walmart (I use the cutting board to make motor mounts for my RC airplanes.) Or you could get some of that Dutchware. If you're going for a continous ridge-line order some Dyneema from Lawson as well.

I tried cutting a figure 9 from the cutting board but used a thinner board I had. It was PVC and not Poly U so on the second use it snapped. The Poly u has less tendancy to do that but was twice as thick. Time to just order a real one.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Whoopies-n-Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by MrClean417 View Post
    Don't forget and order a figure 9 and some linelocs. I'm using Cinch knots and a couple pieces of scrap Poly cutting board from Walmart (I use the cutting board to make motor mounts for my RC airplanes.) Or you could get some of that Dutchware. If you're going for a continous ridge-line order some Dyneema from Lawson as well.

I tried cutting a figure 9 from the cutting board but used a thinner board I had. It was PVC and not Poly U so on the second use it snapped. The Poly u has less tendancy to do that but was twice as thick. Time to just order a real one.
    I bought some figure 9's a while back. I'll just have to look for them. Thanks for the heads up.
    We must all learn to live together as brothers--or we will all perish together as fools. MLK

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12