A coupl'a questions

For my first hammock I'm going to buy the Hammock Bliss No-See-Um No More with the optional tree straps at Campmor since they have the best price. I was wondering if a cheap 8x10 tarp from Lowe's is sufficient as a rain guard? Is that large enough? Also, are mummy-style sleeping bags better for hammocking or does it matter? I'll eventually want to do winter hammocking.

Thanks-

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Welcome aboard from Florida. DIYer so can't help help much with the specifics of the Bliss. The Lowes tarp might work but being poly it will be heavy. Most tend to end up with a TQ (top quilt) instead of a sleeping bag. Take a little, no make that a lot of, time and read some of threads associated with some of your questions. You're going to spend money hammocking, make it count! I spent money starting out that I didn't need to, wish I had some of it back. The amount of information here is amazing and some times finding what you want can be a PITA. First thing, if you haven't already, check out Shug's videos. Most of all, enjoy the fun!
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Images
    Welcome. My wife and I both use the no-see-um-no-more hammocks and we like them. If you are planning on backpacking, the Lowe's tarp may be heavy. 8X10 will probably be big enough, but you will probably want to upsize in the future.
    Most people use underquilts and top quilts. You can use a mummy sleeping bag, but they are a little hard to get into in a hammock. If you do winter hammocking, you should definitely look at an underquilt. Either DIY one or there are several sellers. If you don't go the underquilt (UQ) route, you will need to use a pad with your sleeping bag.
    +1 with olddog, take a look at shugs videos.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/shugemery

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Double
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Baby Orca IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Welcome.

I have a similar setup as you - Hammock Bliss Double, Lowes 8x10, mummy bag as topquilt. I also acquired an IX underquilt, and assembled a DIY Reflectix "undershell".

Had my first real test this past weekend on a mountain climb in CO. The system performed well, though it got only into the low to mid 40's. I hung both my son and me under the same tarp one night. No problem. Again, mild temps and no severe weather.

As others have already commented, up front research is key to success, as is practicing in a controlled environment, like your backyard. Expense is always a consideration, which is why DIY and making do with what you already have helps keep the expense down, though not completely free!
    ol' daddy

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    welcome to the fun...

i support what other people have noted and i'd like to comment a little further on the research aspect. if you plan to make hammocks your main stream way of camping, i would emphasize on the research part of it. like any piece of gear, you should think about what your intentions are for that and make sure you're covered. you may find yourself re-spending money say on a tarp b/c 6 months down the road you'll discover you actually need something different.
    your current plan is good, but i would recommend being patient on the purchase and don't impulse buy. many of the vendors here sell great stuff and if you have inquires, PM them or email from their sites as most will provide time to answer most if not all your questions.
    the one think i would like to suggest and i guess everything above is as well, is be smart on the decision and don't always go for cheaper - sometimes saving a little more to get the more expensive piece will actually save in the long run.

take care,

patrick
    http://smartoutdoors.webs.com/ elephant trunks, tarp keys and crosses

Hammock
    DIY R2B3 (Black Bear Burrito) + HUG
    Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images
    I would recommend for the research part going to "Shug"'s video series on Hammock Camping. He is one of the tops in winter camping, actually won a contest for extreme camping (look for his posts).
    .... the Aardvark (earth pig)... a rather unremarkable creature whose sole claim to fame is that it is the first animal listed in the dictionary.
    Rob

• + New Posts