Thread: Quilting loops

Hammock
    Grizz style Bridge
    Insulation
    Primaloft PL-1 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide

Quilting loops

I am preparing to make an under quilt and from what I can tell it looks relatively straight forward with the quilting loops being the biggest hassel.

If I understand correctly, if the quilted area is bigger than 24x24" you need to add quilting loops. My plan is to use 2 layers of primaloft sport. I wanted to run an idea past the group to get their thoughts on the assembly and quilting loops.

Would it make sense to sew 1 layer to the inside shell fabric and 1 outside shell, sew the occasional tack on each side so thet they are offset and then sew the 2 layers together? Having never sewn this type of material I don't know if there is a way to do a loose stitch so it doesn't completely compress the material at the tack point. I figure the offset tacking points would minimixe the heat loss at each spot.

Perhaps I am over thinking it and should just do the loops, but from what I have seen on the KA quilt instructions people use yarn and it just seems like there should be a better way or at least a better thread than Yarn.

Also I have noticed that most of the quilts go up to the side edge of the hammock at the head and foot end. In my bridge I can understand going close to the catenary ridge line on the head end but at the feet it seems like a lot of wasted insulation and material. My thought is to do a full length but tapered UQ with the sides at the head end almost to the top and the sides at the foot end 1/3 to 1/2 up the side. Does that seem like a logical approach?
    Thanks,
    Ed

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    As to your quilting question, the spacing depends on the type of insulation that you are using. For Primaloft Sport, I quilt at least every 18" or less. Remember, that most stress that the quilt has to take is when you are stuffing it, which is quite a bit of stress.

As to the method of quilting, I quilt all the way though the entire quilt. The trick to not compressing the quilt is to cut a piece of cardboard about 4" long and the width should be the same as the thickness of your quilt. So, if your quilt is to be 0.75" thick, the cardboard would be 4" by 0.75". Sew the yarn though the down through the quilt and back up through the quilt, then place the cardboard on edge between the two portions of yarn so that it is 0.75" tall. Then tie the yarn over the cardboard (you can completely compress the quilt during this operation). Finally, slip the cardboard out from under the yarn and the quilt will expand to full thickness.

As to what material to use for quilting, I use yarn. Because, if you use something like very thin thread, you run the risk of it cutting though the nylon fabric.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY Gathered end w/bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY/Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Karo Step tquq
    Suspension
    UCR/Tree Hugger
    I just made my first quilt, I started with a top quilt to get some experience knowing the underquilt would be a little trickier. I also used primaloft sport. I used embroidery floss for the quilting loops, and made and x for the loops, spaced every 8" which was probably overkill, but I want this to last. The loops were a pain to keep in line giong through two layers, it took me two evenings and now all I have to do is sew the foot end closed. I'll try to post some pics.

-Scott

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY/Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Karo Step tquq
    Suspension
    UCR/Tree Hugger
    I'm also fixing to start a underquilt and I also use a bridge hammock, are you going to use darts in your shells or just do the differential cut, I'm trying to figure out how I want to do it.

Hammock
    Grizz style Bridge
    Insulation
    Primaloft PL-1 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide
    I haven't completely decided the shape yet, but I wouldn't think a bridge wouldn't need darts since the shape isn't tapered. My thinking is that I didn't want the entire side covered because it seems unnecessary, but I want more coverage than what the sleeping pad offers. I don't know how hard the quilts are to keep in place. More coverage on the sides may be beneficial for that purpose.
    Last edited by egrant5329; 09-08-2011 at 16:38.
    Ed

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY/Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Karo Step tquq
    Suspension
    UCR/Tree Hugger
    Hey Ed, I was just curious how your under quilt was coming along. I just started cutting my fabric tonight(finally). I've decided to do a differential cut with the layers of insulation being slightly smaller than the dimension of the outer shell and putting pleats in the outer shell to neatly mate it and the inside.

Hammock
    Grizz style Bridge
    Insulation
    Primaloft PL-1 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide
    I just finished my bridge's bug net. It was a PITA to make look right, but it is finished, functional and looks ok. There are some things I can do better on my next hammock, so I thought I might wait to do my UQ until I have the base of my next one finished. I have the materials for the UQ all set to go.

I think my plan will be to mimic the bridge's cut, but about 4" lower on each side. Then basically follow the Kickass quilts directions with that has been posted. I am using 2 layers of primaloft sport (3oz + 4oz).

The attachments and tensioning still needs to be decided.
    Ed
    Ed

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY/Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Karo Step tquq
    Suspension
    UCR/Tree Hugger
    That's cool, it sounds like you and I have pretty much the same setup. I've got a bridge modeled after Grizz's videos and my quilts are using the exact same 3oz/4oz combination. I'll post pics when I'm done and let you know any thing I learn from making mine. Hoping to have it done in time for a 3 day hike in the Ouachita's in 2 weeks.

-Scott

Hammock
    Grizz style Bridge
    Insulation
    Primaloft PL-1 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide
    I am interested to see how you attach and adjust it. I slept in my hammock for the first time last night and since it got below 60 I used my thermarest. I can see why people use UQs. It moved around a little, but just wasn't as comfortable.

It also made me rethink the shape a little. Having a lower cut on the feet would be fine, but the mid section and head needs to be near the top to allow bent knees and arms to lean against the sides without getting cold.

Since you are using primaloft sport which has that cloth layer on one side, I was wondering if you could put the non-cloth sides together and do the quilting loops just through the primaloft and not put it through the ripstop?

Ed
    Ed

Hammock
    Grizz style Bridge
    Insulation
    Primaloft PL-1 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide
    Under Quilt update
    I was able to borrow a friends Jarbridge which wasn't a bad fit on my bridge, but was a little shorter than I liked. I decided to fashion mine similar to it, but I wanted to eliminate excess material where I thought I wouldn't need it.

My plan was to cut the quilt to hang about 4" below the cat cut on the head side and about 8" at the foot. Instead of a cat cut on the quilt like I did on the bridge I thought I would do a straight taper from the head to foot. I also planned on putting shockcord channels at the head and foot.

The quilt came out looking ok, but....did not function as planned. The head and foot worked well, but the sides did not hug the bridge as I expected. I had debated on putting channels down the side for shock cord, but decided against it because I was sure it would work after seeing the Jarbridge. If I had placed the channels, it would have worked great. I haven't sewn up the foot yet, so I can still play around and fix it so it hugs the sides (I think).

I'll also comment on primaloft sport vs what ever they use in the Jarbridge (I think it is climashield). I used a 3 and 4 oz layer which lofts to ~1.5", the jarbridge lofts to about 2+", however the primaloft seems to be more consistent in density and compresses better. My quilt has a similar total area athough in a different shape than the Jarbridge, but is easily 2/3 the volume. If I get an opportunity, I try to see how the two compare from a warmth standpoint. Even though it is thinner, I think the primaloft will be warmer, but that is speculation at this point.
    Ed

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast