serious outdoor bridge

Scored a 7 yard bolt of greenish gray 1.9 dwr ripstop at wally today and with that will start my bridge hammock for better outdoor living. Up til now only know what you have taught me and learnings from an indoor hammock previously sewn. Okay I'm looking for your suggestions about plans for number 2. overall size will be 90" long with 8" deep curves along the edges. It will be open end double layer to accomodate 24" egg crate wally pad. The spreader bars will be 40 inches at the head and 32 at feet. the suspension will be 1" polyester belt to 1" steel rings on the corners. suspension lines will be 1/8 dyneema to 1" tree huggers. Noseeum netting is planned and was wondering about attaching it with velcro magic. Now's the time to chime in.
    thanks
    Clod

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    can only relate my own experiences, which you may have seen already in the bridge thread.

One thing I found with a 90" version was that I would get up against one end or the other (I'm 73" tall), and the flat lay would be off--the heavy part (my butt) would be too far off center. So I've shortened mine up to 80" to make it impossible for that to happen. I've been happy with the results.

With a difference between the spread at the head and spread at the foot you'll get a difference in the depth of the hammock at the head and foot, at least if the cut is symmetric. This is correctable by raising the foot end more, but that's a tinkering process that you have to get into the hammock then out, then in, etc. to achieve. I've reverted to having the same width at both ends because I can eye-ball levelness better before getting in (or even get a high tech assist with a small level clipped to the ridgeline).

With a 40" spread you'll want to have at least 40/0.75 = 53 inches of fabric under the spreader bar. That's a nice width. You'll be really flat on the shoulders, and with an 8" cut will have 37" of fabric in the middle. You won't be in a deep hole. The wider you make it beyond 53" the deeper the hammock becomes, but also you get a bit more stability. I'd aim for something in the neighborhood of 53".

I'm sold on double layer also.

If you already have 1" suspension webbing I guess you should use it. You'll get a bit more bunching of the material as you make the rolls though because the rolls are large and not straight.

you can attach noseeum with free magic, sure.

have fun!

Grizz

bridge response

thanks for your comments Griz. On my first attempt I used 90" and it seems not that overly long I'm 74" tall and 234 in wt. so not light. the first hammock is 53 wide at the ends and 32 in the center. which seems too narrow at my adequate butt. the 12 inch curve makes the center narrow and attachment points awfully high so will lowering them to 8" help with that? the head spreader bar was 36 at first and that gave a lot of shoulder squeeze.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clodbuster View Post
    thanks for your comments Griz. On my first attempt I used 90" and it seems not that overly long I'm 74" tall and 234 in wt. so not light. the first hammock is 53 wide at the ends and 32 in the center. which seems too narrow at my adequate butt. the 12 inch curve makes the center narrow and attachment points awfully high so will lowering them to 8" help with that? the head spreader bar was 36 at first and that gave a lot of shoulder squeeze.
    good, your design should solve your issues. Try to bring your spreader bars in as close as you can to the edge of the hammock body, to get the most spread for your spread.

Grizz

• + New Posts