Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, WB Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Cheaha/Pinhoti questions, also, fire ban lifted?

Howdy,

Well, I know that ciphoto did some of the cheaha state park trails the weekend before labor day, however, given the recent torrential downpours in the state of Alabama during the labor day weekend, is there still a fire ban? I couldn't find anything on the state forestry's website about the ban.

Also, given, again, the recent downpours across the state, and given y'alls knowledge of the trails (angrysparrow??), can you recommend an 8-10mi loop that goes by plenty of water sources....

Any thoughts?

Going up there this weekend (myself and 4 others), my only experience is the pinhoti/cave creek loop (and cave creek was THE only water source).

Thanks!
    -def

Hammock
    El dorado
    Tarp
    Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    a good hike with plenty of water would be from Pine Glen Campground walking north to the Burns trailhead although it is not a loop hike and you would have to take 2 cars or there is a guy who does shuttles on the Pinhoti. I can't remember the exact mileage but I do believe it is more than 10 miles.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skippy View Post
    I can't remember the exact mileage but I do believe it is more than 10 miles.
    Pine Glen to Pinky's is between 16 and 17 miles. It's a really beautiful walk, though!

Quote Originally Posted by defsquad View Post
    can you recommend an 8-10mi loop that goes by plenty of water sources...
    If it must be a loop, then you're pretty much going to have to stay in the Cheaha area. I guess you could look at the 'South Cheaha Wilderness Loop', which combines the Pinhoti, Chinabee Silent Trail, and Skyway to form a loop. It crosses any number of streams and water sources that will be flowing well now, but it's also between 16 and 17 miles long.

If you take two vehicles to do a shuttle, you have a lot more possibilities for trail sections of various lengths all along the Pinhoti corridor.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

• + New Posts