Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    pan, 18' for suspension seems pretty short. if you always hang from smaller trees that are relativily close then yes, but most people will want to carry more suspension to get around larger trees that are farther apart than ideal. most of the time you don't know how much you will need till you get out there and i would think most people would want to have a few extra feet just in case they need it. i have 6' straps and 8' lines for a total suspension length of 28'. the longer you go the lighter tree strap/line combo will be compared to webbing.

i can tie a slipped double sheetbend with 6" of line. i would think you would want this much webbing sticking out the back of the tri glide, but if not i suppose you need an extra foot of line.

24' sounds like a good medium.

polypro web is (according to pan's measurements) 5.8g/ft

24' webbing=139g/5oz
    (2) triglides=22g
    total=161g/5.75oz

3mm single braid spectra weighs 1.5g/ft

(2) 5' straps= 58g/2.07 oz
    (2) 7.5' lines=22.5g/0.8 oz
    total=80.5g/2.875oz

strangly enough, the 25' strap/line combo is exactly 1/2 the weight of the 24' webbing/triglide combo. for longer suspensions the ratio gets larger because you add more 1.5g/ft line rather than more 5.8g/ft webbing.

i can't see the setup times for the 2 being much different. with both, you would have to go around the tree, and either tie a fast knot or thread the triglide. with tree straps you do have to insert one loop through the other before you can tie your knot, which does take a couple seconds, but with the 2.9 oz you save, you could add 2 light biners (1.4 oz) leaving you still almost 1.5 oz lighter. you could then add knot replacement hardware, say (2) 10g devices. this still leaves you a good 20 grams lighter, and you have biners and line adjusters. you can permanently tie the straps to the line and make adjustments at the end of the hammock which makes setup no different than with cinch buckles, which is as easy as it gets, and it's still a good 20g lighter than the webbing only setup even with all the added hardware. and almost 3oz lighter without hardware.
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 04-10-2008 at 16:24.

Hammock
    Hammaka HALO SE
    Tarp
    JRB 11X10
    Insulation
    My Poncho Pod
    Where do you order Amsteel, Spyderline, or Dynema ect? it's too late for this trip...but I'll be going back and need to get some UL rope for my JRB tarp..
    Last edited by alex30808; 04-10-2008 at 06:09. Reason: oops
    Alex Williams
    Acts 10:13 "Arise Peter, Kill and Eat."
    Job 14:15 "Call upon Me and I shall answer you."
    Williams Custom Calls

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alex30808 View Post
    Where do you order Amsteel, Spyderline, or Dynema ect? it's too late for this trip...but I'll be going back and need to get some UL rope for my JRB tarp..

You can get the line here:
    http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d3000/e826.asp

I don't know if I would use that really high strength line on a tarp though. JMHO. Here's a thread that talks about guy line.

BTW,

It looks like APS is now selling Amsteel Blue. When did this happen?
    Last edited by headchange4u; 04-10-2008 at 08:02.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    yeah, 3mm line would be overkill, but even if you use thin polyester line like the mld line or even speers guyline, you are looking at line with 200# break strength, i suppose with a knot it is less, but that's still probably more force than most tarp pull tabs can take. so if the ggr pulltab is the weak link in the chain, it probably doesn't really make much difference if your guylines are 200# or 500#.

i have been using the 1.75 zing it single braid dyneema which is made by samson, makers of the amsteel line. it is high vis yellow and very light and low stretch. i love it so far. it doesn't tangle at at all and is a pleasure to tie knots with. you can get it : http://www.baileysonline.com/search....geNo=1&x=0&y=0

Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    You can get the line here:
    http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d3000/e826.asp

I don't know if I would use that really high strength line on a tarp though. JMHO. Here's a thread that talks about guy line.

BTW,

It looks like APS is now selling Amsteel Blue. When did this happen?

Hammock
    Hammaka HALO SE
    Tarp
    JRB 11X10
    Insulation
    My Poncho Pod
    Question...what size do I need for a hammock and will these lines work with ring buckles?

I had to get some line for my son's tarp today being that we're going in the morning...so I got a spool of braided Nylon string line...same stuff I used to use when I was doing construction and concrete work...strong stuff...and will be satisfactory for this overnighter.
    Alex Williams
    Acts 10:13 "Arise Peter, Kill and Eat."
    Job 14:15 "Call upon Me and I shall answer you."
    Williams Custom Calls

Images
    for a hammock suspension go with something rated over 1500#. in an uncovered single braid dyneema/vectran this will 2.7mm-3mm. www.apsltd.com

something like that would be perfect for the suspension itself or for connecting ring buckles to the hammock.

the construction line will work fine, i used to use it for my guylines till just recently. it tangles much easier, which is the main reason i switched to the zing it.

anyone know how much the stock expedition rope weighs? I'd like to lighten mine but I want to know how much I'll lose before going to the trouble.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12