HG Cuben 4S
    Insulation
    HG Incu-Burrow
    Suspension
    War Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rngn View Post
    Im new to the forums can i come to the hang? please
    Welcome to the forum rngn! I believe I speak for all of us here (if I may be so bold) in saying that this thread is an open invite and you are welcome to attend! Hope to see you there! Hang easy!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotgunred View Post
    Welcome to the forum rngn! I believe I speak for all of us here (if I may be so bold) in saying that this thread is an open invite and you are welcome to attend! Hope to see you there! Hang easy!
    Ah! Man! The new guy is supposed to carry our stuff, or bring coffee crisps, or something show their determination to be accepted by the group. Ya can't just be like "open invite" then who knows what kinda wierdos might show up. Gee! I mean really, com'n!

I'm just playing, all are welcome.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL Lefty
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S
    Insulation
    HG Incu-Burrow
    Suspension
    War Buckle
    Images
    I guess new guy could bring a few gallons of Heet and help carry the prototype ultralight alcohol hog roaster!

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Well, I think until there is more detailed information on if this is a hike/hang or car camping/hang with hiking being optional things will work itself out. Some of us are looking for an organized hang and some what close to parking and I think Lisa's idea of a Hog Roast is a wonderful gesture, and then everyone doing something to help out and chip in for the hog. But if this is more of a hike in and hang; then we obviously scratch the hog roast/group meal. This will also sort out who will attend and who won't. I'm taking it that this is a definite hike in and hang?

Hammock
    Home Made from Acer
    Tarp
    Kelty
    Insulation
    Body Fat
    Suspension
    Mule's Special
    Images
    OK here we go.....

Details,

As of now it appears the Ruins are the place for the hang....super easy to get to and about 90% flat land to walk. From the parking area to the Ruins is approx. 1.25 miles give or take the exact area we decide to hang. 95% of this walk is trail. 5% is bush whacking meaning depends where we hang....( tons of great places ).

Here is the GPS Locale to the parking area "Hickory Ridge Lookout" lat=39.034815, lon=-86.321273

And to the Ruins

"Ruins" lat=39.0498295801, lon=-86.3362226307

From Bloomington Indiana take 46 East to 446 South....Follow about 15 ( or so ) miles to the Charles Deam Wilderness road ( large white sign. on the East side of the road. )
    follow the CDW road about 6 miles to the Terrell Ridge Fire Tower. Park there....To the North of the parking area you will find the trail head. Follow it to the Cematary. ( about 1 mile or so ) AT THE CEMETARY......Go West on the TOP of the ridge....follow it about 1/4 mile ( or so ) there you will find fellow hangers.....My plan ( subject to change without notice ) is to be there Thursday afternoon / evening.

LEt me know if i can help out more......As far as food....it has always ( well last year anyway ) been a "feed yourself" venue....I'm not opposed to a hog if someone wants to carry the thing.....but thats a fur piece to pack a hunka pork......totally up to you....

I'll bring a bottle or 2 of wine.....and a camera.....Gotta love the ground dwellers.......LOL
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The only Easy day was yesterday.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    How much hog are we talking here?

According to this site a 75lbs dressed pig will yield 30lbs cooked meat and serve roughly 20 people.

Honestly, I've never been to a hog roast. I know, I know; what red-blooded Hoosier boy has never been to a hog roast? This one, right here! So, that's my motivation to see it through. I promise if Lisa brings a hog (75lbs or less) I will get it back to the campsite; but don't expect me to cook it.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    Home Made from Acer
    Tarp
    Kelty
    Insulation
    Body Fat
    Suspension
    Mule's Special
    Images
    Hmmmm I can cook it as long as someone can supply the wood it will take...or would there be plans to do a "pit"...that would require a few shovels....Nahh....lets stick to a spit.......
    Now....who has a spit that can handle 75ish Pounds.....
    The only Easy day was yesterday.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Jerry,

Will charcoal work? I think that would be more efficient than wood. What 2-3,4 bags?

IDK about the spit, someone's gotta come thru on that one.

Images
    If you use mesquite lump charcoal it burns real slow yet hot. We can carry the hog in using a small transport cot putting it on two peoples shoulders.(I'll rig one up) I'll also bring in couple big bag of mesquite lump and we can supplement that with reg wood I have lots of maple, which is good for cooking or we just use deadfall. Let me see what I can do about a spit rod will find out more about that tomorrow.

Images
    If you all decide on us getting a pig ( sounds smaller and less daunting when you say pig) let me know within a week so I can arrange it. My husband and I are looking forward to meeting everyone!

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast