WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Great report. I did this trail with a buddy about a month ago and it was really fun. Looking to hit the larger loops next year (but do this first again really soon). Beautiful area to hike in the fall.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    R-III
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    Feathers
    Suspension
    Cinch & Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sturgeon View Post
    @ [o]TTer Thanks for your comment.

I've reached the limit right now for weight cutting. I've done the cheap things: no water filter, just Pristine drops; cat food stove instead of my beloved Trangia, cheap water bottles instead of Nalgene, using my bugnet as a stuffsack, etc.

Any more real weight savings would come by spending a lot of money on a new lighter pack, whoopie slings (not sure how much weight I'd actually save there) and a simpler bugnet-free single-layer hammock. For fall I'll add puffy jacket, maybe the door kit for the Blackbird that I bought and never used, balaclava and gloves, and bring my Vargo woodburning stove --the Vargo can do double duty as a windscreen for the alcohol stove, reducing alcohol needs.

Actually, call me a fool, but next trip I'm going to Killarney (sounds like a song...). I've been training by walking home from work every day 10k, and walking around like a dork with a loaded backpack in the ravines on weekends. I know that trail (La Cloche Silhouette Trail) has a lot of elevation gain and loss, and is a butt-kicker, so I'm going to try it in six nights (7 walking days) at a moderate pace. That's a lot of food weight, though. Wish me luck!
    A 5' pair of 7/64th Amsteel whoopie slings are 35 grams. It would be foolish to not training for that hike, if you're a fool then you are in good company! Gave up caring about the opinions of urbanites when I started gear testing in city parks.
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
    My Photos My Videos

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12