1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Nice write-up. You short guys have it easy. I am 6'2", so a top quilt from HG is a custom order. I also don't want to use the lightest of materials for a hammock, when I am weighing in at about 230lbs.

Very nice and lite. WOW
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultralight
    Tarp
    OES 8 x 10 Sil
    Insulation
    HG CF 20F Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by thexuprising View Post
    If the standard phoenix is 15.7oz, then the cuben version should come in about 12oz. My summer phoenix with 5oz of down weighs 8.96, so that means the shell comes in at 3.96oz, which means it weighs 3.74oz less. So I wouldn't change anything since it weighs basically the same,
    I see that you have the cuben on 7d. I figure that you are getting the biggest weight savings from the 7d with a little extra from the cuben.

My 20 F Phoenix with 1 oz of overfill and cuben fiber on the inner and the stock 1.1 ripstop on the outer weighs in at 17.1 oz without the stuff sack (but including the stock suspension system). IIRC the cuben is somewhere around 0.61 oz/sqyd and considering that the inner is only around a sq yd the weight savings should be minimal (0.61 oz vs 1.1 oz), maybe an oz at most. I think the biggest benefit of using the cuben here is not the weight savings, but maybe the extra warmth that the Mylar may reflect back to you. Of course, there is the sexy factor too...
    Last edited by SticksBlog; 09-11-2011 at 19:35.
    Jus' Sayin'

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SticksBlog View Post
    I see that you have the cuben on 7d. I figure that you are getting the biggest weight savings from the 7d with a little extra from the cuben.

My 20 F Phoenix with 1 oz of overfill and cuben fiber on the inner and the stock 1.1 ripstop on the outer weighs in at 17.1 oz without the stuff sack (but including the stock suspension system). IIRC the cuben is somewhere around 0.61 oz/sqyd and considering that the inner is only around a sq yd the weight savings should be minimal (0.61 oz vs 1.1 oz), maybe an oz at most. I think the biggest benefit of using the cuben here is not the weight savings, but maybe the extra warmth that the Mylar may reflect back to you. Of course, there is the sexy factor too...
    Here's something I'm wondering and looking forward to some field tests from you gear monkeys out there with this cuben.... since cuben doesn't breathe I wonder what the condensation will be like at the cooler temps (40*F and below)
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultralight
    Tarp
    OES 8 x 10 Sil
    Insulation
    HG CF 20F Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    That's a good point Raul. I think that proper ventilation and fit will be the key here. As long as my back doesn't start sweating though, I don't think that it will be a problem. But then again, this is my first experience with hammocks and UQ's so it is possible I am wrong... When I think about it though, I also think about when I sleep on the ground on top of my NeoAir. I am not sure if this is a proper comparison, but the NeoAir is nonbreathable too and I never woke up in a puddle. I guess I will find out...
    Jus' Sayin'

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    True but I believe you are already in a mummy bag, right?

I've woken up and noticed some condensation on my foot pad in lower temps but that's just my feet so I'm not too worried about that.

My buddy has woken up and found his pad has some condensation between his DL hammock in lower temps.
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultralight
    Tarp
    OES 8 x 10 Sil
    Insulation
    HG CF 20F Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Yep, I am in a mummy bag, so I figure that if I did sweat some would absorb into the bag, but I never find the back of the bag wet or damp to the touch. On the other hand, I have found the top of the foot box to be slightly damp from my feet sweating. I guess it is worth noting too though that I am not a really bad sweater...(not like the clothing kind ) I really don't sweat a lot though unless I am really hot and exerting myself...

I imagine the biggest difference with the UQ and a pad on the ground is that cold air is circulating below the UQ and may affect the UQ differently than a pad on the cold ground. Hmmm...now I am curious too...
    Jus' Sayin'

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234