Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images

Lost maples state park July 10

I'm heading out to a primitive site on July the 10 which is a Tuesday... Lost maples is west of san Antonio a ways... Just wanted to see if anyone wanted to join me...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I've day hiked there but not spent the night. Love the place. I'm tempted but already committed that date.

What are your expected night temps? This 3 digits during the day and 90+ after 11:00pm is killing me and turning my thoughts towards fall.

Hammock
    Kammok Roo
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Kammok Pythons
    Quote Originally Posted by Brute1100 View Post
    I'm heading out to a primitive site on July the 10 which is a Tuesday... Lost maples is west of san Antonio a ways... Just wanted to see if anyone wanted to join me...
    Lost Maples is my favorite park. Just spent four days out there a few weeks ago. With July 10 being a Tuesday, how many days are you looking at staying? Just one night?
    "If we admit that human life can be ruled by reason, then all possibility of life is destroyed." -- Christopher McCandless (Into the Wild)

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    I've been wanting to come down and check out this place. I won't be able to make this trip, but maybe in the fall.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    I'm starting to Jones for a camping trip, but with this heat I don't want to go alone. Great idea, but can't make it during the week.

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    I'm just going one night... I have to be at church Wednesday and my wife goes to school(i have to watch my girl) on Monday... So I get one night out to myself... Highs I'm imagining high 90's and low of 70 or so... That's been about oar for the course here and they are usually the a few degrees cooler than my local temps...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    Kammok Roo
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Kammok Pythons
    Quote Originally Posted by Brute1100 View Post
    I'm just going one night... I have to be at church Wednesday and my wife goes to school(i have to watch my girl) on Monday... So I get one night out to myself... Highs I'm imagining high 90's and low of 70 or so... That's been about oar for the course here and they are usually the a few degrees cooler than my local temps...
    Don't think I can make it in the middle of the week. Like I said earlier, I was up there for four days a couple weeks ago. Temps at night were fantastic in the hammock. I took a light 50 degree sleeping bag that I tossed over me for a TQ at night. During the day it was plenty warm and the springs are coooollllld to cool off in. Lost Maples has trees everywhere and you won't have any problems finding spots to hang (one clause though, if the Ponds (Camp Site C) are busy you might have slim pickins, but I'd suspect during the week it not to be so bad). I've personally hung my hammock in all the campsites in this park and in most cases had plenty of choices.

Have fun!

Here's a shot of my hammock setup the first night at Camp A:
    "If we admit that human life can be ruled by reason, then all possibility of life is destroyed." -- Christopher McCandless (Into the Wild)

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx,Mamba,Woobie
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Thanks for the invitation but workings that day

The last time I was there was almost 6 years ago with the family for a short day hike, beautiful place.

Oh how I love Texas state park and all the small town BBQ, good life
    .................................................. .................................................. ........

"Your life starts at Point A and ends at Point B. Kick maximum ***!....." Ted Nugent (before he gone bats**t crazy)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    GoLiteTQ/3SPhoenix
    Suspension
    DG whoopies + MSH
    Images
    I stayed there for 2 nights toward the end of May. Be warned, not all creeks have water in them. The creek that runs by campsite G was dry as a bone, but thankfully we had plenty of water. Campsite C was packed, as mentioned, and there is no way to get away from the main campsite for privacy. Campsite A can also be busy but has a lot more open space and you can hang back away from everyone.

If there is a breeze, I would definitely shoot for campsites E or B, as they are up on top of hills. In both campsites, continue past the campsite sign for about 100-200 yards and there is nice hanging in the treeline to the right. Neither campsites have water really close though. Campsite D is a less popular campsite with some nice hanging and has water right next to it. Make sure you have plenty of water carrying capacity if you're doing hiking, as it will be HOT.

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Yeah i plan on carrying in everything I'll need as far as water... It's the way I always work as I don't have a way to clean water now... Plus I don't get to make a fire so that saves me a few lbs in blades so it will be replaced with water more than likely...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast