not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    I occasionally get similar cramps, but much less often if I am taking my "Eeziums"- calcium, Magnesium, potassium- all in one tablet; check you local heath food or vitamin shop and they will fix you up! cost is about 12$ for a 100 count bottle- I use 1/day which is less than the label says, but seems to be all I need to avoid the dreaded 'charly-horse '.. and where did that name come from? weird.
    HTH, KM

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    just a small thought too, that byers has a slightly odd lay as compared to say, an eno or black bird. just keep that in mind!
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    HG 4 season cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Burrow TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Fubba

Quote Originally Posted by fubba28 View Post
    CLB, yes it was supposed to be funny! I always see the humor in things (even funerals make me laugh) so it's just my nature to find the "funny" in life's experiences. The pain was real, but I was trying to convey the absolutely idiotic way I reacted and how funny it all turned out to be. No harm, no foul. I'm just a human.
    Fubba,
    After I turned off the computer and went to bed last night, I thought to myself, man I should have said that while I found your post wildly funny, I was in no way discounting your pain....I have, once in a blue moon, awoke in the night with those same pains, although not in my hammock, and I agree with the post about potassium intake. Hope you never experience that, at least in your hammock ever again!
    Leigh
    aka LookinUp

He who would travel happily must travel light.
    Antoine de St. Exupery

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    CRAMPS! and not the monthly kind, are caused by several things. They are an early warning sign of dehydration and mineral deficiency. They can also be caused by unatural stress or tension on a muscle group. I tend to get them in my forearms when I an heavily exherting myself. I find that staying well hydrated and taking a vitamin supplement helps immensely. An effective temporary fix, long enough to get out of your hammock, is to apply preasure to the nerve bundle for that muscle group. For the calf it is about one quarter down from the back of the knee. I use my thumb and apply forceful preasure. The pain will stop almost immediately. However, once you release the preasure the pain will return nearly as fast. If possible apply preasure to the nerve bundle for several minutes until the cramp itself has stopped. Otherwise, it should by you time to at least get out of the hammock and properly stretch the cramped muscle.

I hope that helps someone, it's worked for me for over 15 years now.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    HHBPUL, DD Frontline
    Tarp
    Stock Hennessy Tar
    Insulation
    Exped 9 DLX
    Suspension
    Big Butt Whoopies
    I used to link the leg cramps with not drinking enough milk, nothing scientific, just always seem to be that way.

I found punching or slapping the muscle to work, especially when you are stuck and can't just jump up and start lurching around like Frankenstein to work it out.

I do hope you and the hammock are able to reconcile!

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I hate it when I get a cramp in each inner thigh,,,both at the same time,,,I really think that is the worst for me...cold packs work great on them,,,but backpacking,,not carrying cold packs and at home,,keep them in the freezer compartment of the fridge. And,,I have gotten leg cramps as well from extreme workouts of whatever I am doing,,just after getting out of the hottub..the hot water doesn't help and can cause the dang things..lol,,kinda funny if you ever saw me getting out of my hottub with a leg cramp and nude..hobbling around..lol

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fubba28 View Post

I struggled to breathe, thrashing around and panicking, trying to figure out where this screaming pain was coming from. Eventually, it dawned on me that my left calf was locked up into the most excruciating cramp I have ever felt. .
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshLaw303 View Post
    that used to happen in my 10' hammock but not as much in my 11' and never as bad if they do happen. using a pad under the lower legs helps me too

-Tim
    Isn't there another thread here having to do with calf cramps and people maybe having more of them in a hammock? Could this have anything do with- among other possible causes- the infamous hammock center ridge/diagonal position related calf pressure? Which is most often left calf pressure?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Some of the causes from WebMD

Getting too much exercise or overusing the muscles.
    Standing on concrete for a long time, sitting for a long time, or putting your legs in awkward positions while you sleep.
    Not having enough potassium, calcium, and other minerals in your blood.
    Being dehydrated, which means your body has lost too much fluid.
    When we hike and sleep in a hammock most of these could happen. I have found that staying hydrated and not crashing as soon as I get to camp have helped.

Senior Member backpackingZombie's Avatar
    Hammock
    DB 1.1
    Tarp
    CCS 8'x10'
    Insulation
    Arroyo & Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies + toggles
    I had one of those cramps a few years back that took 3 days to finally loosen up. To have been camping at the time would have been torture
    When it seems like the night will last forever
    And there's nothing left to do but count the years
    When the strings of my heart start to sever
    And stones fall from my eyes instead of tears
    I will walk alone by the black muddy river
    And dream me a dream of my own
    -Jerry

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    I, too, get charley horses, but only in my left leg. My right leg sleeps like a baby. I've been told about potassium, magnesium, calcium, water and a pill called MSM (which I remember with the mnemonic "Muscle Spasm Medicine" but that's not what it stands for). Others have reported great results--particularly with MSM, but nothing I do has helped. In my case, it's is definitely related to old injuries.

The best thing I have learned is to NOT PANIC. That only makes it worse! And grabbing your toes and pulling will tear your muscle (I've done it!) Trying to make it stretch when it's spasming will not work. Just try to relax, don't panic, breathe, and ride it out. You'll have less muscle tearing as a result. Sometimes a charley horse leaves my calf more sore than a multi-day hike!

I haven't had more or less charley horses in a hammock than in bed. "Hang" in there!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast