Tarp
    DIY Tyvek
    Insulation
    DIY Full UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Toggles
    Images

Trying to pay it forward

You may know me from my hang in a cave, or from my most recent mishap with paracord. Well a member of this forum graciously hooked me up with a pair of whoopies to help replace my paracord suspension, and last night was my first attempt (of many to come, I hope) to pay it forward.

I've got a Scoutmaster buddy who I introduced to hanging about a year ago. He's liking it, and said that he learns a new trick each time he goes along with me. He's got a 100% stock "pocket" hammock he got from Sportman's Warehouse--you know the kind that fit into the little built-in pocket? Almost two months ago, I helped him make an UQ and bugnet for his rig based on designs from this forum.

When I saw him trying to set his hammock up using the stock suspension, I had to shake my head a bit. He was getting frustrated, going from tree to tree, looking for two that were just the right distance apart where the trees weren't too wide. I know he had some ratchet straps in his truck, so I had him get them. Then I took the old ring buckles I just removed in order to tie on my new whoopies (which I love by the way!) and helped him tie them to his hammock. (I had some climbing rope that I was going to use with my ring buckles.) So I help him get off his stock suspension and into some ratchet straps and ring buckles. "Wow!" he said. "That's SO much easier than doing it the way I've been doing it!"
    -Digrat
    "Better than a map!"

Code:
     _   _
    ( )_( )
     (o o)
      \ /
      >.<

Hammock
    GTs &amp; DIYs
    Tarp
    Noah12'/Etowah10'
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies &amp; Dutch
    Sounds like he has a Grand Trunk hammock, they sell them at Sportmans... Its what I'm using, works great once you bin the stock suspension.

I re-rigged mine with a couple soft shackles going through the end channel, those hook into some whoopies. Added a SRL with another set of shackles to the end of the whoopie and its great.

You guys should go in on an amsteel order (it doesn't cost much really) and make some new suspension for his, and I'm sure you'll find a 101 uses for the left overs, splicing is addicting!

• + New Posts