Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Sil
    Insulation
    Jarbidge River
    Suspension
    Whoopies

A couple of questions

Hello all,

I recently switched to whoopie slings, and I've got 2 questions for you all:

1. I'd been hanging on a turtlelady stand I made in my backyard, and everything was going great....until I switched to the Whoopie slings. Now, even when the whoopies are at the shortest length possible, my hammock is still far too low to the ground. I'm completely stumped, and I fear that I won't be able to hang this stand on the hammock anymore. Is there any way I could wrap the whoopie slings around the end of the hammock in order to shorten their length?

2. After attatching the slings, I realized I have a lot of extra cord hanging down from the end, even when the slings are extended a great deal. Do most of you cut the ends off your whoopie slings so you don't have to deal with the long ends getting tangled and such?

Thanks in advance for you help!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    How are your slings attached to your hammock? Directly or indirectly?

The buries will push the minimum distance you can hang your rig by about 18".

Not sure on your stand design, but can you easily spread the uprights enough to compensate for the change of length in the suspension? Ive had to do that on occasion and I ended with using continuous loops as my main hammock attachment on the fabric and then hooking those directly to my stand. On one end I have a loopie sling that allows me to adjust minutely.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl,Hennessy Exped
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    Have you seen the method a couple of us are using with our TL stands? We have put fence post end caps on the rdge pole. From the end caps we hang a quick link or shackle. The whoopies go through the links and join in the middle with a carabiner. This permits greater adjustment of the whoopies, thus allowing a suitable hang height.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl,Hennessy Exped
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images

Hammock
    Eno DN
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Sil
    Insulation
    Jarbidge River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Opie, my whoopie slings are attached directly to the hammock with a double-pass through as shown on your video. Maybe if I tried a triple pass through I could get rid of another inch of sling on each side. I tried adjusting the uprights, as well as making other adjustments on my stand to compensate for the whoopie slings, but so far nothing seems to be working.

Shumway, I had completed forgotten about those pictures from the turtlelady thread, looks like I'm going to have to go through it for another hour or so again That would probably solve my problem, but if I'm correct it involves drilling a hole through the fence fail, which I do not have the capabilities for. That would be PERFECT though, def. my best option.

Hammock
    Warbonett BB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream2
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    Icedfire477, you can try the triple pass of the fixed eye end. It might put the constrictor part of the sling in a bind but if you have the adjustable loop pulled down pretty small, and plan to leave it that way, it won't really matter. Shumway's tip would be a better solution and maybe you can borrow a drill from someone. Just out of curiosity, do you use the hammock stickily on the TL stand or do you hang from trees as well?

Hammock
    Eno DN
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Sil
    Insulation
    Jarbidge River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I hang from trees as well, there just don't happen to be any suitable ones behind my apartment, so the turtlelady stand was a godsend in order to test out new techniques and toys. I switched to the whoopie slings for the adjustability and savings in weight while out in the woods. I'm thinking of leaving the original suspension on my grand trunk UL so it fits on the stand, and simply use the eno while camping.

BTW, does anyone trim the ends of their whoopie slings? I just can't imagine needed all of the amsteel for a set-up.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    The extra length comes in handy for those long hangs. If you don't think you'll need it you can trim the whoopie down a bit. I just tie mine up in a slippery half hitch to keep the ends off the ground and it doubles as a drip string as well.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    Eno DN
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Sil
    Insulation
    Jarbidge River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks Catavarie!

Hammock
    Warbonett BB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream2
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    Quote Originally Posted by icedfire477 View Post
    I hang from trees as well, there just don't happen to be any suitable ones behind my apartment, so the turtlelady stand was a godsend in order to test out new techniques and toys. I switched to the whoopie slings for the adjustability and savings in weight while out in the woods. I'm thinking of leaving the original suspension on my grand trunk UL so it fits on the stand, and simply use the eno while camping.

BTW, does anyone trim the ends of their whoopie slings? I just can't imagine needed all of the amsteel for a set-up.
    Gotcha! Not sure what length whoopie slings you have but I wouldn't trim the ends until you used them at several times in the areas you camp just to make sure they are long enough. Having a little extra length can broaden your choices on where you can hang sometimes.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast