Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1oz Dual Layer
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    The Packa looks like just what I need. It appears silnylon is the only material they have it in? Those that have them - how long have you had them, what material/construction is it, and have you had any issues with it?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KC8QVO View Post
    The Packa looks like just what I need. It appears silnylon is the only material they have it in? Those that have them - how long have you had them, what material/construction is it, and have you had any issues with it?
    Had mine a couple of years....silnylon......no issues. Love it!
    Shug 0 Packa
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Since it covers your pack too do you feel less "constricted" and roomy in terms of air flow? Or does it still feel like a jacket any?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by R00K View Post
    I check zpacks.com every other day for the cuben Packa.
    Whats the word on cuben fiber Packas on the trails? Is that something that has been talked about for some time, is it relatively new, and have any manufacturers expressed interest in coming out with the product?

On a side note, I did a search for cuben fiber rain pants and I came up with a ton of home brew types but it doesn't look like anyone sells any - closest I could come is the kilt from Zpacks.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    i like a poncho on very hot days either that or just a pack cover and thats it and a hat

i been playing around alot this year with rain gear trying to find a setup that works well

one thing i come to find is in the summer you can get away with minimal rain gear .... so far summer time a driducks jacket,gortex hat and pack cover

i just picked up a Mountain Hardwear Epic and for fall,winter,spring i think i found my rain jacket... i really like the pit zips alot and i know i will stay dry after this past week it got ALOT of use and it worker out great
    in the winter i plan on using it as my shell over either a patagonia down sweater or Nanopuff .....

i really like the idea of the packa... and maybe one day i will break down and get one ... but i just can't get past the part that in camp you need to take off your rain coat to get your pack off

for my hands i was going to make tyvek gloves... but i see blackrock is coming out with cuben mitts.... i been waiting for someone to come out with cuben mitts ... so i know what my next clothing buy will be .. might end up getting his down mitts too they look sweet can't wait to see Shugs review on them
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    Whats the word on cuben fiber Packas on the trails? Is that something that has been talked about for some time, is it relatively new, and have any manufacturers expressed interest in coming out with the product?

On a side note, I did a search for cuben fiber rain pants and I came up with a ton of home brew types but it doesn't look like anyone sells any - closest I could come is the kilt from Zpacks.
    Joe has a few people testing the cuben packa now. Stilling waiting for that. MLD sells cuben chaps.
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

Packa

The Packa material is not silnylon. It is 33 denier pu/sil coated. Silicone on the outside, polyureathane on the inside. This allows it to be seam taped.

I also still have a few eVent Packas available.

As far as I know, there has only been 1 cuben packa prototype by Joe.

Cedar Tree

Images
    This is a bit of a hybrid idea. In another post over in the general section I posted about my trek to the Smokies. We hit a lot of rain the second half of the trip. I had a rain coat with me but I reasoned that either way I was going to get wet and I didn't exactly want to swim in my own sweat.

My buddy took his coat out and threw the hood on and I took the rest of the coat and threw it up over his pack cover. This gave me an idea...

Has anyone come up with a tarp/rain cover that you can wear over your pack that will give some protection in a hard down pour along the trail? In the past I've thought of some kind of umbrella for that purpose but it wouldn't be very trail friendly. I am envisioning some form of cape/poncho that will act as a rain shield.

How about some light weight gaitors to prevent water from running down your legs and in to your boots? I was thinking about this a lot and even had the idea before we left but I didn't take the time to come up with something. I was thinking just some plastic bags with a rubber band to seal the top. The only issue there is not to make it too tight, but enough to keep it sealed.

Thoughts?
    Jacks R Better sells a poncho/shelter.

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    Quote Originally Posted by Cedar Tree View Post
    As far as I know, there has only been 1 cuben packa prototype by Joe.

Cedar Tree
    I thought it was two oops! Maybe one prototype and two testers?

Either way - what an incredible design! People like Cedar Tree, who create gear like the packa, make backpacking a better experiance for just about everyone! And Joe making it in cuben is going to greatly aid long distance backpackers. Big thanks to both of them
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12