Hammock
    HH Expedition zip, WBBB 1.7
    Tarp
    stock, diy tarp
    Suspension
    stock
    Images

shoulder problems?

what would be the best hammock if you have shoulder problems? We have a WBBB, and a HH, but even in the wbbb there is still some squeeze on the shoulders. Is there a hammock that would be better for someone with this problem or are they destine to be ground dwellers? (secretly hoping ground dweller, cus I get the wbbb)
    formally known as "carolb"
    Spread the love baby, Spread the Love!
    Get the Ketchup!

How is the hammock bothering your shoulder? I have a bad shoulder but neither my HH or eno dn seem to bother it.

I had some problems in the beginning with my HH explorer deluxe. It was solved by stretching out the attachment points farther, not stringing it as tight and getting the position better. In short...experience!

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    A bridge model maybe the solution your looking for. The spreader bars keep the fabric from squeezing the shoulders.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Images
    I use an ENO single and have not had any problems. In fact, I started using a hammock because I would lay on my side in a tent on my cheap Thermarest and would wake up with sore shoulders and hips.

Hammock
    Tarp
    stock, diy tarp
    Suspension
    stock
    Images
    It's my husband. He has 2 bad shoulders + other problems that is why I thought a hammock would help him. Thought that a Wbbb would help, being wide and big enough. He said it was fine at first but it sqeezes his shoulders then he wakes up in pain. When we go tent camping we have to use a reg air mattress. I was thinking of a brigde. but thought I would ask here first.
    Get the Ketchup!

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    If he's experincing shoulder squeeze, start by trying to hang the suspension at a steeper angle and pull the side tie outs a bit more. If that doesn't do the trick then a bridge should work better to alleviate the problem and you end up in the BB.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    Tarp
    stock, diy tarp
    Suspension
    stock
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    If he's experincing shoulder squeeze, start by trying to hang the suspension at a steeper angle and pull the side tie outs a bit more. If that doesn't do the trick then a bridge should work better to alleviate the problem and you end up in the BB.
    I will try that. Hopefully that will work. can't afford a new hammock. Not looking forward to making a brigde ether Thanks.

thank you everyone.
    Get the Ketchup!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    A bridge model maybe the solution your looking for. The spreader bars keep the fabric from squeezing the shoulders.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackMunk View Post
    It's my husband. He has 2 bad shoulders + other problems that is why I thought a hammock would help him. Thought that a Wbbb would help, being wide and big enough. He said it was fine at first but it sqeezes his shoulders then he wakes up in pain. When we go tent camping we have to use a reg air mattress. I was thinking of a brigde. but thought I would ask here first.

Depends on the bridge. Many people, even many who are otherwise fans, complain about a lack of shoulder room in the JRB Bridge. Some call it "squeeze", others say it simply "rounds" your shoulders some. However, while the above is not uncomfortable for me, I have found a wide pad in this hammock's pad pocket eliminates all of this. I'm pretty sure my shoulders- fairly broad- don't even contact the hammock when used with a pad.

A DIY bridge with wider spreader bars would also eliminate this, but wider spreader bars increase potential tarp contact, so it is a trade off.

OTOH, I am certain that with my HH Safari- and using the tie outs, there is zero shoulder squeeze and probably not really even any shoulder contact. I'm pretty sure I can even say the same thing about my HH Explorer, and HHDJ XL with side tie outs deployed. And I really don't find it to be a problem with the WBBB, or even the narrow Claytor No Net with no tie outs. I just never even think about my shoulders with any of these hammocks, though I will pay more attention now to the WBBB. Because I did wake up one time with an arm "asleep", but who knows what kind of position I was in. So, I'm wondering if this "squeeze" is due to hanging the hammock too tight or something else?

Hammock
    DIY gathered ends
    Tarp
    MLD cuben hex tarp
    Insulation
    down underquilt
    Suspension
    tree huggers
    I've noticed this shoulder squeeze thing mentioned frequently in the forums & have wondered what it is. I've slept in hammocks for years & haven't had shoulder problems. is it something position dependent? How does a hammock squeeze shoulders? Just curious. And thanks for any enlightenment.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast