WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    Mamajamba/JRB Cat
    Insulation
    summer incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    Images
    Tarp theories, along with other theoretical concepts can be based on cultural, geographical, or economic basis just to name a few. What one may need for their camping development can differ greatly. This said it is not linear either so it may differ at various points in time. (just wondered if I could translate my class work to tarps). I need to get to the piney woods..lol
    'Most people have a few skelotons in their closet, I have a few tents.' ~ d Allen

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    With a Hennessy it was a question of starting small and going bigger. Strikes me its the difference between staying dry in the hammock and camping dry with a hammock. ;-)

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    With a Hennessy it was a question of starting small and going bigger. Strikes me its the difference between staying dry in the hammock and camping dry with a hammock. ;-)
    This is my thought too. I carry a larger tarp (HH Hex) because I don't just sleep under that tarp in inclement weather. Our last trip out, it looked BAD and we were expected to get HAMMERED with thunderstorms for a few hours early evening.

I not only had my hammock under the tarp, but firewood for the night, my chair and gear, etc...

I camp with a larger tarp to keep dry throughout the day, not just in my hammock.

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Environment, experience, weather, cost. All those things play a factor. I could see being out in the big piney's and having a tarp too big to pitch successfully do to clutter. Here on the Kansas/Missouri boarder the trees are far and few between. More experience you'll be able to get by with less when you know what you're doing. All the space/weight saved from that can go to another item. However, I liked the rain videos but just got to wonder, where's the wind? I lived in Wichita for a decade one year. Two days the wind was under 25 mph. People were falling over all across town because they didn't know how to stand without leaning.

I had my WBBB hung on a hammock stand at Oshkosh. This left me close to the ground. My Superfly was therefore all the way down and I had to crawl into the shelter. When I got back after the thunderstorm that shut down the Saturday airshow and saw all the damaged tents, tarps and RC Sunshades I was happy to see my Superfly was un-affected. My buddies cot tent was still standing as well which I kinda attribute to my Superfly breaking the wind for him. But if I wasn't prepping a place for the obvious thunderstorm that always rolls through Oshkosh during the airshow, I would have only needed enough tarp to break the dew. A couple of the warmer nights that would have been handy.

When you only have enough money for one you buy for the worst case and make do the rest of the time. Shugs videos shows his summer and winter tarps. If he can have a cabin, so can I.
    Last edited by MrClean417; 09-24-2011 at 14:08.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    If you can line up right, relative to the wind, small tarps will often do the job. Have been out in a number of rains with just my Hennessy asym tarp and stayed dry. On a hike last spring, there were limited hang options, since we had a group, and when heavy rain and wind shifted to the open end of my large DIY hex tarp, things started to get wet. Others in the group got wet as well. Had I been using the minimal Hennessy asym, I'm quite sure my hammock and quilts would have gotten soaked.

On the trail I usually don't have access to weather forecasts to know which direction the wind and rain will come from so my only option is to pitch the tarp low over the hammock and pull the sides down tight. Grizz beaks, tarp doors or rectangular tarps that allow you to close the ends are good options.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JrB TQ/UQ,Crownest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    In my experience a tarp does more then keep you dry during the rain while in your hammock, it keeps you out of the elements in all weather conditions when you are not in your hammock. If I just wanted rain protection the stock hennesy diamond fly + grizz beak would be good enough.

I will always use the biggest tarp I can afford when camping.
    I ride a recumbent.
    I like to HAM it up on the CW.
    I use Linux.
    I play go.
    Of course I sleep in a hammock!

Rug.

Hang On!

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    I have a superfly and maccat standard. I've used the superfly once. The standard everytime. I've found the standard is perfect for my typical needs, including a 7' width that gives me plenty of room to cook and cover my gear. I prefer the ease of set up with only 4 tie outs but, though I've never needed them, doors or rectangle tarps that can fold into doors seem to be worth their weight. And it may not make sense but if I could only have one, I'd take the superfly,simply so I'm guarenteed in all weather.

I think the benefit of a small tarp comes more so just as a challenge. Something fun you can work at to push the envelope a bit. A tarp being your main source of coverage should do its job and cover you completely. Even at the heavier end of tarp fabrics, a huge silnylon tarp with doors will only weigh around 10oz more than a small risky tarp. If 10oz extra is going to break your back you have more to worry about.

My opinion is bigger is usually better (to an extent) but smaller gives you more of a challenge and minimalist feel which is what I love about backpacking. Getting by comfortably with minimal items. My ideal tarp would be 10.5' x 7' rectangle with cat cuts. Kinda like a smaller speer winter tarp.

Sgt Rock, 9' ridge line seems short. I know you use a nano7 or diy shorter hammock, how long is the ridge line?

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snarlbuckle View Post
    What role can a massive (think superfly) tarp play in regards to shielding the sides and bottom of your hammock from wind? Would that provide a measurable improvement in warmth for a pad user like myself?
    I now use the superfly and on our last hang the wind did blow up during the night. Being in Australia, I only run summer quilts and whilst not cold the other night, I got up and closed the doors on the superfly. I noticed it to be much warmer with the wind reduced to almost nothing as I had it rigged close to the ground.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    I've trended down to the simplest hammock I can get by with.
    +1

I've come to the same place. I love the simple approach. Less trinkets to lose or tie you down. It is all personal preference.

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    I started with a DIY 8x10 from JRB, then to a humongous DIY 12.5x10, and now have settled on a 11x10, also DIY.
    I started small because that was what I could afford, then went big because of how
    particular the small tarp was. I am glad I started with the small tarp because it taught me all sorts of tricks and principles to staying dry with a small tarp that I may not have learned with a bigger tarp. The second tarp was just over compensating for having had to put up with such a small tarp for so long, but I've found that being so long actually restricts the places I can hang, and how low I can string the tarp. I just had the 11' one out on it's inaugural trip, and stayed nice and dry in some heavy rain. I think that's the perfect size, unless I can find some 70" sil.

PF
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast