Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cardo View Post
    From the Leave No Trace treatise: (3) As long as ‘tree saver' straps (2-4” wide straps that go around the tree to minimize any girdling effects) are used, there is very little impact associated with hammock camping.
    Four inches wide?! Really!?
    I'll just run the strap between the trees and sleep on that!
    HangCon Sign Up:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

So many trees, so little time...

Hammock
    GTs & DIYs
    Tarp
    Noah12'/Etowah10'
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Jeez, 2" ? My 1.5" straps get mangled a bit being so wide when tying a MSH, I'd hate to try it with a 2,3 or 4in strap!

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cardo View Post
    From the Leave No Trace treatise: (3) As long as ‘tree saver' straps (2-4” wide straps that go around the tree to minimize any girdling effects) are used, there is very little impact associated with hammock camping. Besides getting in and out of the hammock, the ground beneath is almost untouched.

2" - 4" tree-huggers? Wouldn't be showing this to any Rangers that I was trying to get to let me hang.
    I found that in this "Blog" that was referenced here or in another thread.
    http://leavenotracecommunity.blogspo...k-camping.html
    I don't know were they came up with 2-4" straps, but I suspect someone not familiar with hammocks was trying to make an educated guess.
    But 1" is the most common tree webbing width & in most cases protects the tree just fine.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    Just got off the phone with Ellen Graham, the Resource Manager at Unicoi SP. Ms. Graham confirmed after discussions with her ranger staff and other Unicoi SP officials that there is no rule against using hammocks for camping at Unicoi (and shouldn't be at any of Georgia's SPs) and that hammock camping was just fine as long as there is no damage to the trees. Ms. Graham also said she would talk with the rangers at Unicoi and make sure that they understood that hammocks are OK...

Couldn't have better timing for me since I was planning to camp (in a hammock of course) at Unicoi tonight!

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    That's good to hear Steve. Thanks for making the call.
    I think it's always a step in the right direction when we let them know that we strongly encourage to never use ropes on the trees, but to use flat webbing.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Insulation
    UGQ down goodness
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
    Just got off the phone with Ellen Graham, the Resource Manager at Unicoi SP. Ms. Graham confirmed after discussions with her ranger staff and other Unicoi SP officials that there is no rule against using hammocks for camping at Unicoi (and shouldn't be at any of Georgia's SPs) and that hammock camping was just fine as long as there is no damage to the trees. Ms. Graham also said she would talk with the rangers at Unicoi and make sure that they understood that hammocks are OK...

Couldn't have better timing for me since I was planning to camp (in a hammock of course) at Unicoi tonight!
    That is good news. Thanks for going the extra mile and actually prompting specific action that will benefit future hangers!

And I did not get invited!!!! Sleep well my brother. Take those fly rods and plastics and catch some fish.

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    Unfortunately no fishing for me this trip... But, get to take my oldest and a couple of her friends from college camping this weekend. Three hammockers (including me) and one ground dweller...

BTW, just received a call from another person higher up in the food chain in the DNR's Parks Dept who tells me that they will be further evaluating hammock camping for statewide acceptance next week. I told her what I'd heard from the folks at Unicoi and that other parks have been accommodating to hammockers as well. She said that the main issue was that its something relatively new that they weren't used to and she'd get back in touch with me next week.

Hammock
    Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Claytor Diamond
    Insulation
    Closed Cell Foam
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Hammock hanging prohibited.

Interesting thread. I hadn't considered it before. Prior to hammock camping I experienced hostility in western CT while hanging a tarp from trees (no nails). The Ranger was rather adament about not hanging anything from trees.

I just came back from a trip to Graylock Mt. MA and the ranger there said nothing about our hanging hammocks. Car camping this summer in Nickerson State Park on Cape Cod was fine as well so I guess Mass. is Okay.

Thanks for starting this thread. I was thinking of trying some hanging here in eastern CT. I may need to do some investigating.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Big Mambajamba
    Images

Thanks for making the call. I also sent a nicely worded email and letter. Its great to educate them on the uses an dI agree, many people have NEVER seen anyone camp in a hammock...
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves." ~John Muir

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast