Newbie Questions

So I have looked through the forums and found bits and pieces of these questions, but can't seem to find exactly what I am looking for. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am looking to sew my own hammock and have found varying styles. I am a lightweight backpacker (6'1 and 200 lbs) and I also do a good deal of overnight kayaking trips. I am looking to make a hammock that's versatile, lightweight and comfortable. These are the questions I am hoping I can get answered.

1. Where to buy fabric, what kind, and how many yards? I have seen all sorts of rip-stop, coated with various materials and of varying breathability, strength and weight. The prices I have seen also seem to vary drastically. I am not sure if this is due to quality or just specific stores pricing methods.

2. How significant is the type of thread used and is there an appropriate stitching type or technique to ensure maximum durability?

3. Is there a specific pattern or set of measurements that are geared to my height & weight? I have seen a few different measurements, some symmetrical, some asymmetrical and I am not sure which one is appropriate for someone my size.

4. No-see-um, standard or heavy mosquito netting?

5. I have also seen various fastening methods. Just wondering as to what some suggestions may be as I am a novice when it comes to hammock making and sleeping.

Thanks for your help. Sorry if any of this is available elsewhere and I am just a terrible searcher.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hey Feller,
    Here are terrific directions.....http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock1.html

And supplies....http://stores.tttrailgear.com/-strse...Categories.bok

Hope that helps you out some.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY Hybrid "Switch-Bird"
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Evazote Pads
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hi Ryan! Welcome to the world of DIY, I'll try to answer your questions, and other users will probably chime in with their own answers as well. Hopefully together we'll be able to get things clarified. I'll apologize in advance for being overly verbose.

1. For lightweight backpacking, the go-to fabric is generally uncoated ripstop nylon. Silnylon, DWR, and other waterproof coatings will affect breathability and may cause condensation to form. Prices vary depending on how strong the nylon is, from 1.0 to 2.0. 1.0 Ripstop nylon is thin and light, but may not be strong enough for a single layer hammock. You'll need to decide what weight depending on your personal specs and whether or not you're making one layer or two.

Many people can find fabric at their local JoAnns, Walmart, or Hancock fabric stores. (However, if you're from DC proper - I've been there, and you're SOL) You can often find great prices online, especially at cottage retailers. One of the more popular, and cheaper, retailers here at the forum is DIYGearSupply.com - but I'm a bit biased and other users may recommend their own preferred dealer.

2. Always always always use synthetic thread. And stronger is better! I personally use the Polyester Gutermann thread from DIY Gear Supply. Upholstery thread may also do the trick, but make sure it's heavy duty whatever you use! To increase durability, run a parallel line of stitching next to your first hem line. And anywhere your hammock bears weight or is under strain (IE, at gathered ends or along channels) go over your seams several times to reinforce. You can't go wrong with extra stitching, but you can go wrong if you don't have enough!!

3. Someone else might be better versed to answer this one, but you sound like you fall right in the median range for hammock users. Any pattern SHOULD do... and whether you choose Asym or Symmetrical, bridge or gathered end, is up to your personal preference. I'd recommend either using a single layer of heavier ripstop (eg. 1.7oz) or double layer of something lighter.

4. If you live in an area with No-see-um flies (which areas of Maryland and Virginia do) I'd go with No-see-um netting. Standard mosquito netting may not prevent the No-see-ums from getting through. There are different weights of netting, heavy duty weighs more and is generally more rigid - often easier to sew and work with. Thinner netting is easier to see out of and lighter weight, but can rip easily and can be hard to sew. Taffeta is another option that some people prefer, though not designed with bugs in mind.

5. What do you mean by fastening methods? How to finish the hanging ends of the hammock (where the support system goes) or do you mean the support system itself? Gathered methods are quite simple and easy to make - there are a number of DIY tutorials for gathered end hammocks. Whipping and channel methods are also fairly easy. I prefer the "Warbonnet Whip" method because it doesn't put the bulk of the strain on a seam like a channel might, and I also think it holds better than a simple gathered end. But that's just my opinion!

Hope this helps, if you want links or suggestions for any specific DIY tutorials, feel free to ask. Otherwise browsing the DIY forum and putting special focus on the "Sticky" threads should give you a better idea on the steps to make your hammock!
    Maker of fine affordable No-See-Um Ridgeline Organizers.
    The Hammock Nest Outdoor Blog

This space for rent!

Thank you both! This is just the sort of info I was looking for. All in under 30 minutes too!

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Welcome aboard Ryan. Jenna covered most everything you need to know to get started on DIY. #3 question was length, I just bought 4 yards of ripstop nylon and actually gathered it temporailly at about 11 1/2' and tried it, over a period of time I was able to settle on a length of( just measured it wife said 9'11 1/2") 10'. And I haven't permanently whipped it yet. What ever happens your first won't be right and you'll want another. enjoy the Fun! Oh by the way, check out that guy Shug's videos, might learn something there.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    DIY R2B3 (Black Bear Burrito) + HUG
    Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images
    Yo, to peg off Jenna's post, become a member of Hancock's online, they send out coupons every 2 months or so, giving 40% off ripstop. Takes price from $4.49 to $3. Know you are just planning on 1 hammock, but once you get the bug, you're toast. Then you'll have to do qults, uderquilts, black bishop bags, stuff-sacks, kayak skirts, etc.

Go for the guttermans poly thread, I swear by it.
    .... the Aardvark (earth pig)... a rather unremarkable creature whose sole claim to fame is that it is the first animal listed in the dictionary.
    Rob

Thanks again everyone! Great inputs and lots of great information on here, on member sites and plenty of entertaining Youtube vids (I am moving forward at all times, forward at all times, and staying focused!). I bought a boatload of materials and will likely be creating an epic fail, but it will be a great learning experience for my second DIY hammock.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Jennabird was right on. (+1 on the thread!)

buy new needles too...

I too am 200#, and 1.1 ripstop works, but it's a bit stretchy. 1.7 is good, as is a DL 1.1, if you want to use a pad...

I'd start with Knotty's instructions in the sticky for a basic hammock with a ridgeline.

Then I'd make a net-sock as they're easy. When you really get into it, you can make a more unibody hammock like the DIY HH, or the warbird...

(I've made all of them)

My advice: Don't try to do too much at once. make a basic hammock (10' MINIMUM, for your height 10'6 is better unless you're THAT concerned with weight)

That hammock can be added to and grow. Knotty also posted instructions for a shock cord foot box on the hammock. That or sewn-in triangle (warbonnet style) will keep your feet and top quilt from falling out of the hammock.

Don't be in a rush: hem your fabric, (don't worry about making it perfect) on the long sides first. Then make large (1/2" to 3/4") hems on the ends and *poof*, you have a hammock! (ok, add some rope, gather the ends. blah blah blah...)

none of my hems are even or straight. just go with it. It'll get prettier later on your 5th hammock...

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

• + New Posts