I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Cold & Snowy in New 1/2 UQ ... cause ya'll asked!

Well we had some good and nasty weather last night so I went ahead and strung 'er up outside in our firehut.
    Shug-&-UQ.jpg
    Skipped the tarp as it was a wet snow/sleet/rain falling from above. Heavy stuff and thunder and lightning!!
    snow-last-nite.jpg

Crawled in at around midnight, temp was 33º. Western Mountaineering 20º bag, short ridgerest for legs and feet. I wore smartwool top, Golite Wisp wind shirt, polypro longjohns, 2 pair smartwool socks, balaclava & beanie possumdown.
    This was the FIRST time that I ever slept in a hammock with no pad or SPE under my torso. And I was warm!!!! That surprised me. Although that was about as low as I would go temp-wise with this UQ alone. Any colder I would add a full pad. It took my butt the longest to warm but it surely did. Need to add a piece of omni tape to my right shoulder side to attach to my hammock side to keep the UQ up. Just on the side where my head is. If I sat up or moved too much it tended to slide too far to the other side. Not to bad but want it stable. JRB suspension system works primo!
    Went down to 31º and I stayed warm and comfy so I am pleased. I did make this for the shoulder seasons and to lighten up my burden and it is gonna do the job.
    As to UQ's my thoughts are:
    *Harsh winter I will use my full UQ along with pad and SPE.
    *Mild 3 season I will use 1/2 UQ with foot pad.
    *Summer and mild weather I will go with a pad/SPE combo only.
    Really happy to be hanging and waking up rested from comfort!
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Great report Shug!

In harsh winter, could you use the full UQ AND the 1/2 UQ (layered) and be warm, do ya think?

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Great report Shug!

In harsh winter, could you use the full UQ AND the 1/2 UQ (layered) and be warm, do ya think?
    There is an idea!! Can't mess around in Minnesota winter and I am forced to carry more on my back in frigid temps anyhow. Could carry less pad and the 1/2 UQ packs down small..... hmmmm.
    I like how it does all go in the BlackBishop Bag, hammock, webbing, beeners, UQ and all. Very nice package and still packs small.
    Shug of the No Shivers

Images

How about a PeaPod?

Hey Shug,
    You have certainly done a lot of experimenting with a lot of different home made gear, under really harsh conditions. It seems as though designing and making gear is no problem for you. Why don't you, just for fun, try a PeaPod style approach? I guess that would be harder to make than some projects, but maybe not so much. Not as hard as trying to make a SnugFit, anyway. You might like it. Especially if you are using one of the more narrow hammocks. Then the top layer will just lay down on top of you like a regular sleeping bag on the ground, or a quilt used in the hammock.

It might prove weight efficient. When designed for whatever season you plan to use it in. For example, what is the weight of your 1/2 UQ, pad for legs, and Western Mountaineering bag? As you say for the 31* of your test "And I was warm!!!! That surprised me. Although that was about as low as I would go temp-wise with this UQ alone. ". Now a full on Speer PeaPod with overfill weighs a whopping 42 ozs. But it is rated at 20*(bottom), without a pad. And for me, with the narrow hammocks like a Claytor, etc., I think it will function to about 20* or better on top also, though I have not been able to test it. I know that with the wider Speer hammock- which interferes with top warmth since it holds the pod above your body, I was fine at 10* plus 5 mph wind with only the addition of a light summer top quilt, warm clothing and a space blanket underneath. ( Of course, that was just one night, it might have been different under different conditions! We all know these things vary even with the same person on a different night). You could of course make a lighter one for the shoulder seasons. But still, 42 oz for bag, UQ and pad equivalent with about a 20* rating might prove to be pretty darn competitive. Again, that rating I'm giving it on top is theoretical and untested by me, and only applies to use with a narrow hammock. I am making an assumption ( ) based on the fact that the pod drapes right down on me( with a narrow hammock only), leaving me well over 2.5" of loft on top, top of head to toes, as well as on bottom.

For me, with a wider hammock, it appears to be good to somewhere in the 40s top wise, with just minimal warm clothing, no top quilt. But with my BMWs PG clothing and no quilt, at least to the low 30s.

This is just a thought for another project for when you have some more time to kill. I know another one of your far north mates, Turk from Canada, really loved the JRB version of the Pod approach. You might also!
    Bill
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 04-11-2008 at 14:17.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Hey Shug,
    You have certainly done a lot of experimenting with a lot of different home made gear, under really harsh conditions. It seems as though designing and making gear is no problem for you. Why don't you, just for fun, try a PeaPod style approach?
    Bill
    Now you have done it!!! The idea is planted and starting to bloom. I like the idea of making one but don't know too much about them except for what I have read here and the pix I have seen on the Speers site.
    Yessir, I am gonna do. When time allows.
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    Shug

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Now you have done it!!! The idea is planted and starting to bloom. I like the idea of making one but don't know too much about them except for what I have read here and the pix I have seen on the Speers site.
    Yessir, I am gonna do. When time allows.
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    Shug
    Ah yes, my dastardly plot succeeded! I don't see where it will be much different than making an UQ or TopQ. Just much wider, mainly in the middle. And tapering to the ends, where cinch cords ( on each end ) allows you to tighten her down on the ends, sealing things up, as well as forming the suspension to hang the ends from. And of course a full length Velcro or whatever closure, allowing a 100% sealed top if needed, or wide open on top( or anything in between). The current model is baffled length wise and uses Ed's 900 fp down. Mine is, I think, 9 feet long by 6 feet wide at the fattest part in the middle. It needs to be a bit longer than you might think to allow for plenty of extra sag beneath the hammock. The ends on mine always end up up attached 4 to 8" ( on each end) from the hammock ends, hangin 6" to 1 foot lower, at the bottom, than my hammock before I get in. The hammock always ends up sagging a lot more then the attached pod does, though this will vary with the hammock( and how new it is) and how you have it pitched. And maybe with occupant weight.

When you make one, wait till you discover the rush of tossing something (you are not wearing to bed) into the pod. Such as a down( or PG) vest or jacket or pants or a dry rain suit, whatever is handy. And then realizing you have a good 4-6" of loft underneath your back and in contact with it! I bet you will like that in MN!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 04-11-2008 at 14:14.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Looks great! These 1/2 UQ's are catching on.

Need to add a piece of omni tape to my right shoulder side to attach to my hammock side to keep the UQ up. Just on the side where my head is. If I sat up or moved too much it tended to slide too far to the other side.
    I found on mine that if I connected the suspension system to the ridgeline at a slight angle away from the 1/2 UQ it worked better for me. It gives the 1/2 UQ a more direct pull upwards that keeps the UQ where I want it. On my head side I will sometimes have the 1/2 UQ above the top edge of the hammock. I found that if I tried to connect to the ends of the hammock like the full size UQ I had problems similar to the one you mentioned.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    hey Shug I have a peapod so if you want any dimensions let me know. Nice 1/2 UQ
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HANGnOUT View Post
    Looks great! These 1/2 UQ's are catching on.

I found on mine that if I connected the suspension system to the ridgeline at a slight angle away from the 1/2 UQ it worked better for me. It gives the 1/2 UQ a more direct pull upwards that keeps the UQ where I want it. On my head side I will sometimes have the 1/2 UQ above the top edge of the hammock. I found that if I tried to connect to the ends of the hammock like the full size UQ I had problems similar to the one you mentioned.
    OK then, that sounds helpful. I added 2 short pieces of omni tape and it has done the trick. also, I will try your suggestion. Thankee. They do snap back into place quickly and easily enough though....
    Shug

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    hey Shug I have a peapod so if you want any dimensions let me know. Nice 1/2 UQ
    Gooden Morgan Dutch,
    Yeah, that would be nice. My question on PeaPods is: since it has velcro to hook it along the top and you can have a face hole, how do you breath if you roll to your side. Does breath moisten the pod?
    I am a back sleeper and stay very still while hammocking so that would not affect me but I am curious what others do.
    Down the road I just gotta try and make one!
    Shug

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast