Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    Saw a video on YouTube of a guy who used a space blanket as a tarp over his hammock to reflect heat....he said it worked well. Thinking about trying it....but I was considering using an all weather space blanket because it comes with grommets and is more durable....as well as quieter I would think.

Hammock
    $26 Parachute Nylon made by VIVERE
    Tarp
    12'x14' chinook
    Insulation
    Military Sleep Sys
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Now that it's cooling down a bit at nights, I set out and test ran my current gear.
    I found that this Over Quilt method worked VERY well. I had my tarp set up, but also had the UQ. I first layed for a bit with the UQ folded over to one side of the ridgeline, and the cool air was very noticeable (to say the least). When I flipped the UQ down to "in use" position, the difference was almost instantaneous! There are a few small adjustments I will be making to how I implement the UQ, but it's DEFINITIVELY made it's way into my "must have" winter gear.
    My Hammock camping adventures, and more can be seen here:
    ***WARNING! Many of my videos contain language some may find inappropriate!***
    http://www.youtube.com/FAQUAD2010

Thanks for all your help, advice and more!

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Hike2Hang View Post
    Now that it's cooling down a bit at nights, I set out and test ran my current gear.
    I found that this Over Quilt method worked VERY well.
    I used a poncho liner last winter as an "over quilt" and yes, it worked out very well. This is only something I do when "car camping" or when my truck is close as it's just more gear that I have to carry.

Results that I found when using the poncho liner over quilt... I camp in very humid conditions, even winter here is humid. What I found was that I had a lot of condensation that the poncho liner absorbed. In very cold temps (like 17-20 degrees at night) and snowing or sleeting, the poncho liner would freeze but it still was worth having it because it kept the inside of my hammock warmer. Plus it blocked wind. I don't let the ends just hang under me, I use those handy ties that are on the poncho liner to either tie them together under me or tie them to my hammock.

Usually these trips are Scout involved trips and I'm set up at a campsite for the whole weekend. I just leave the poncho liner in place during the day and it dries out. I personally would not use this type of set up if I was backpacking because I can not carry the extra weight of the poncho liner. Plus I would not want to pack a frozen wet liner into my backpack and have it thaw out there.

Overall, I really like having the poncho liner over the top of my hammock. It blocks light and wind and increases the temp inside my hammock. The down side was extra weight and it would freeze during the night.

TinaLouise

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    here is the video I was talking about: http://www.youtube.com/user/BigTVide...24/53mJWMxSI_8

he has some others on it too.... but I think it's an idea worth trying.

Hammock
    DIY "WARBIRD"
    Tarp
    OES STD,WB BMJ
    Insulation
    Golite TQ/leigh UQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIES
    I made this tyvec over cover and under cover before my last trip out to try to extend the range of my summer gear and it worked fantastic. The air temp inside was very different from out side and I felt so covered that I didn't bother with a tarp. I found that it really help with the gusts of wind that seem to cool you down and being warmer on top you don't have to be tucked in up to your eye balls to stay comfortable.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Hennessy sells something like this out of 30D uncoated nylon, but they call it an overcover. Since you are using a poncho liner, I think i would call this a PLOC. Sounds like a good way to keep the heat in.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge/superfly
    Insulation
    Adict
    I'm going car camping this weekend and was planning to test something of the sort (and a few other things) as a short term solution for winter camping. The way that I tried setting it up at home was an old sleeping bag hanging from the ridgeline right up to the foot end and leaving a foot or so space at the head end to allow some ventilation. I also might try the same thing with a blanket instead of the bag. This would all go under my tarp.

Should be around freezing at nights so I'll have some idea how effective it is.

My other insulation is a 20F underquilt and summer top bag so I likely will need something else.

Sure wouldn't want to carry all that gear around on a winter trip but hopefully this weekend will let me sort out what is needed and what I could leave behind.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Consider Arrowhead Equipment's Bear Burrito,,its about the same thing your wanting to do,,so a poncho liner would work somewhat,,but a poncho liner is very breathable. Here is a link to the Bear Burrito.

http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/a...ts/show/895179

In my opinon,,what ever floats your boat and works,,,is good to go for you..experiment and see how it works. Also consider a tarp, like a 4 season with doors on it staked down to the ground to block all the breezes at nite,,it will also trap alittle heat somewhat.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge/superfly
    Insulation
    Adict
    So I spent one night with just my normal gear and was fine around 1C/34F in a good wind. Second night I tried draping my 0C/32F synthetic bag over top and woke up cold. That was mostly because feeling so warm when going to bed I only had my TQ half on which wasn't good enough for the -1C in the early hours. If I had stayed bundled up I'm sure that I would be good down to -8C or so even without a proper winter tarp.

Hammock
    DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY 11x11 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY IXUQ, 0* SB TQ
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Images
    I almost always bring my PL for this purpose when the weather is cold. And in fact, when it's warm, I still bring it to use for my top quilt.

Tie it on a diagonal to the ends of the ridgeline (by the whipping). It will hang asymmetrically over the ridgeline so just plan ahead which way you're laying in the hammock so it follows your form. I tuck the draped corners in between my hammock and UQ. There will be a few small gaps near the head and foot which is perfect to prevent condensation build up. I went through the trouble of sealing it once and woke up w/ ice crystals inside the cover.

I can't give an accurate temp rating but I know this will boost the temps you can go to significantly. With this, I've been happy into the low teens. Without it, I was feeling the cold in the low 30s and was trying to bury my head under the top quilt. It just does such an awesome job of keeping that biting cold out of you and holding your body heat in.

I've heard of people having good results using plain ripstop or DWR but I'd venture the results are better with a PL. And I agree with the above comments that you want to avoid an airtight setup so you don't build up condensation. I've also seen designs that wrap then entire hammock like AHE design. I'm sure this adds even more but I've never had a need for it on my underside yet. I 'might' venture down this road someday though simply because I know the PL overcover works so friggin well. It makes sense that this would do well too.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast