Quote Originally Posted by riverkeeper View Post
Most of us over 40 have learned that '' For every problem there is A solution which is nice, neat, easy, plausible and WRONG."

The PROBLEM is wind with rain, sprinkle or heavy fog which can readily dampen the spirit and more.

I am ready to buy a SWT or JRB (I like the door thing) but a comment on the forum by someone who experienced the PROBLEM revealed a winter tarp might not be the real Full Meal Deal. The wet got in cuz the ''doors'' couldn't be closed well enough.

There are of course some limitations where site selection and/or orientation can mitigate the damage.

I realize most of us (I suspect) do not consciously head out into the maw of a substantial storm to test ourselves and gear.

Any other real life EXPERIENCES by members with a winter tarp....good or bad .... in really bad weather ?

I like things simple and prefer not to gear up with lots of hammock accouterment: storm shelters, end caps, hammock bivies, bottom shields and attendant fuss to get a great night's sleep. I hoped a WT possibly with one other light piece of hammock gear will do the job.
Riverkeeper, et al,

HC4U has a pretty good take on the few differences between the two tarps... As he notes, either could be modified to approximate the other with the addition of 2 or 4 tabs.....But without mod there are subtle differences and as Ed is fond of saying, "It is nice when customers have choices"... A point in which JRB and I agree.

FTR the JRB 11x10 was not concieived as Winter tarp.... Far more general purpose... The details of how it came about and how it fits with the full JRB hammock tent program are in another thread.

The only point I wish to make is that your comment that "someone said" end closure etc. is a bogus comment/reason not to consider.... either.

First, if you make the walls steeper and use an extra peg to overlap the ends either can be pretty well closed up on the ends.

But second, Single wall tents suffer badly from condensation when they are closed up or inadequately vented.... Winter condensation is a problem to be avoided.... Hence the door opening ovals serve a very important function, by design.

Pan