Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    DIY GrayCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/0* bag
    Suspension
    Cinchbuckle&hugger

Newbie possible setup. Give me some tips!

My desire to get a quality hammock setup has been sparked over the last few days and I've been doing lots of reading about it. My initial setup was going to be this:

Hammock: Eno Doublenest
    Suspension: 1" Polyester Webbing [w/ optional dutch clips], toggle, whoopie sling
    Pad/Insulation: The blue CCF pad?

Now comes my dilemma. I just came across the GT Skeeter beater pro and don't know which to go with. I love the ENO's i've seen and tried out, and am hesitant to use something with a net that doesn't detach (I know you can flip it over). I'm a little worried about bugs with the DN, and can't invest in the ENO net (I'm a broke college student).

So, I'm pretty content with my suspension setup [per there not being any issues brought to my attention by you pros] but am on the fence about which hammock to go with.

Advice, comments, concerns, freebies (I wish ).

Thanks guys.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Grand Trunk Ultra $20 bucks + DPHammock's 1/2 length bug net $20 bucks. (Only half length? As DP says, "You'll always have a Quilt or something right?")

This is my first set up, and hopefully the one that gets me across the KT next month.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    There are a lot of "body-only" hammocks out on the market now that are reasonably equal to one another: Trek Light, Grand Trunk, Planet Hammock, Hammock Bliss, SoCo Hammocks, and others. Subtle differences and so you'll have to describe what pros and cons mean the most to you: cost, fabric size, accessories, etc. (see a full list of camping hammock manufacturers on my Google Docs).

If you're looking for a hammock with a built-in bug net that's another bag with lots of options.

The next upgrade is a complete camping hammock that has integrated bug net, tarp, etc. like the Hennessy or Clark Jungle Hammocks.

Any plain hammock can be modularized with after-market bug netting too, so it depends on whether you like the simplicity/no-hassle options of integrated systems, or modular components you can add or take away.

That doesn't sound like much help.

From your post, you're in the market for inexpensive. Can't go wrong with the hammock you have. You just need a bug net. With a no-budget bank account, you're going to find deals with a do-it-yourself netting and there are plenty of options on the forums to help you.

Even the Speer method of a no-sew, drape-over-your-hammock design works okay.

Tulle fabric, while not as durable, is really cheap and super lightweight. You can buy a few yards of that for a few dollars (often $1/yard).

While on a multi-day, multi-location family camp this summer, I realized my idea of a "I don't need a bug net" wasn't working, so en route to our next camp, I stopped off at Wal Mart and bought a few yards of tulle, some scrap grosgrain ribbon, and some shock cord and made me a HUG bug net. It was simple to make and it worked great for the rest of the camp. I think it cost me $4.

Images
    At 6' 2", 200 lbs, the GT Ultralight at $20 works great. I upgraded the suspension to whoopies, which you may wish to do with the ENO as well. Many a comfy nights sleep in mine, and will save a few $. Picking up/making a bug net a must for most of the year. Blue CCF pad for some insulation and simple tarp and you can have a workable set up for under $100.

I only suggest this as a cost saving set up. The ENO is a great hammock too, with stronger material. One way or the other, you'll find a bug net most useful. I enjoy being able to leave this home during the winter season, so having the bug net and hammock separate is essential to me.
    Last edited by Joey; 09-13-2011 at 05:07.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    DIY GrayCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/0* bag
    Suspension
    Cinchbuckle&hugger
    I'm thinking I'm going to go with the ENO, may make my own bug sock/TED net for it.

Im now deciding between suspension setups. Originally I had planned on Polyester webbing with a caribiner around the tree, with a toggle and Whoopie slings. Now I'm looking into the same webbing and caribiner but with the cinch buckles and some fixed length cordage.

Can someone chime in on the advantages/disadvantages of going with the cinch buckles and just making adjustments via the webbing length? [As opposed to just adjusting a whoopie sling].

Thanks

Hammock
    DIY(s)
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    The cinch buckles are a little more "fool proof" in that they are extremely easy to adjust. The whoopies are lighter than webbing, but it takes a bit more work to keep the whoopie on the KNOT of the marlin spike rather than the toggle until the hammock is weighted. Both systems are pretty easy to use, so its just a matter of what is more important to you.

• + New Posts