Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images

3/4 Uq

I wanted ot make a univeral 3/4 under quilt. I recycled an ebay sleeping bag that I got a while back. I got 2 puonds of down that measure 731 fill. Pretty happy with that. I wante to try differential baffles and I wanted to try making the baffles by hemming the bottom material. This was a prototype with grossgrain.

I hemmed the bottom piece 3/4 of an inch 7 inches apart.

And put tape on the top piece 6 inches apart to mark where to sew the baffles.

This gave me a nice 5/8 baffle and with an inch more on the top I had my differential baffle.

I Liked Grizz's idea of having side suspension so I added 1/4 elastic that I strung a swimsuit hook through and added a cord lock so it would be adjustable. This way i can put it on any hammock without an attached bug net. Here it is attached to my double layer hammock.

And here is is on my bridgeskin.

Here it is alone.

It is 36 x 48 x 1 and weigh 9 or 10 ounces ( will know better when I take it to work to weigh it Monday). It only took me 8 hours to sew and only cost me about $20. I will probably add another suspension line in the center. I can adjust it from inside the hammock. The swimsuit hooks I got came 2 in a pack. A large one and a small one. The large ones work better so I need to get more. I think I will order good materials and make it again.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    That look nice, Dutch. I'm not sure I follow on the swimsuit hooks. And how, exactly, does this attach to the hammock?
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    hey Dutch, I'm glad that approach to baffling worked so well.

I can hardly imagine what's involved in harvesting down from an existing bag. Worth the effort obviously, but whew! Two pounds of this transfered from one place to another???!

Do these hooks attach to anything on the hammock, or do they stay put somehow without that? Hard to tell from the pics.

Bring this along to MAHHA so we can see it.

Grizz

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Once again, impressive work. $20 for a down under quilt is one of the most impressive things about the quilt.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I tried to take a picture of the hook but my camera isn't good at close ups. The swimsuit hook has an eye that the elastic goes though. it is adjusted by the cord lock. It just hooks onto to hemmed sides. On my bridgeskin it works real well because there is 3/8 the webbing in the hem. On my zhammock it still works wall because there is alot of material to bunch up. I have it on a single layer speer type hammock right now. I had to gather the material a little but no big deal. Also around the head I the corners can be clipped together with a minibiner. There is also draw cords on the ends to gather it if needed. You bet I will bring it. I'm going to try it tonight. Shouldn't be much of a test though I think it is only getting down to 50 tonight.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    To harvest the Down I used a large plastic barrel almost the size of a 55 gallon drum. It fill 2 barrels 3/4 of the way full. Then I put it in 12 x 12 zip lock baggies. About 1.5 ounces per bag. I did this overnight at work and then spent 2 hours cleaning it up before the bosses come in the morning. Noone was any wiser. If anybody asked about the feathers I was going to tell them a chicken got loose from the neighbors a Amish farm. We had to chase it around for a while till we shoed it away.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hey Dutch,
    Whewwww ... looks fantastic and nice stitching. Wish I were that neat! You are gonna enjoy that. 9 to 10 oz. is sweet ain't it? Carry on, carry light....
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Well, hopefully the boss doesn't read HF.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    DIY Speer Type
    Tarp
    JRB, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Peapod, JRB, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Nice!

Dutch,
    I like that. I had been giving some thought to a similar baffle technique. Glad to see yours worked so well. That would even be more sturdy than no seeum too. Am I correct that this way serves as somewhat of a "differential cut" so you are less likely to compress the down when hanging? I may try one now...even with purchasing some good quality down should be able to come in well under $100.00. Thanks for the nice writeup.
    Gentle raindrops and mighty oceans...neither can exist without the other.
    Time heals all wounds...but it usually leaves a pretty big scar.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Yeah Sam I figured there was only 1700 sq inches in this quilt so 1 bag of Speer Down would easily overstuff it. So $26 for the down and 4 yards of 1.1 should only be about another $28. Count on $10 to $15 for the hardware. That's only about $70 for a good summer under quilt. As far as the differential baffles, this is a new concept to me. It seams important for an underquilt because no matter how tight it is pulled to the hammock you don't lose any loft. So for every 6 inches on the top there is 7 inches on the bottom. The pic showing the baffles open shows it real well. You have to pleat the end somehow. I'm not sure if hemming the baffles the way I did was any easier than bugnetting. I definately is stronger (and a little heavier). It also looks neat because you don't see any thread on the outside. It looks like you sewed each panel together from seperate strips.

One thing I love about diy projects, especially hammock diy projects, is everything hasn't been done to death. There is still room for experimentaion, inovation, and creativity. And plenty of room for mistakes, failures and cursing...lots and lots of cursing.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast