Hennessay Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Stock Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    Potomac
    Suspension
    Homemade whoopie

permethrin question

Hi all. Just a quick question for those using permethrin on hiking clothing. Does it help with the dreaded yellow flies along the Florida Gulf Coast. Them little blighters will chase you in the woods around here.
    Thanks
    Alan

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    You might think me a little off center,,but seriously,,if you take artifical vanilla,,clear or brown,,put in in a pump bottle,,or pour a dash on your hands,,and rub it on you,,or your pet even,,I use it on my dog and he loves it,,as it will get rid of the black flys, the midge flys and noseums..but it won't get rid of tics or mosquitos,,you still need deet for that,,all I say is try it, its pretty cheap at walmart,,and it will last a about a hour to hour and half,,and you re-apply,,it works,,,no matter how it smells,,or what you think,,just try it,,its better than 100 % deet for the flying critters.

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images

Of permethrin and yellow flies

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Burd View Post
    Hi all. Just a quick question for those using permethrin on hiking clothing. Does it help with the dreaded yellow flies along the Florida Gulf Coast. Them little blighters will chase you in the woods around here.
    Thanks
    Alan
    Alan, I treated my hammock with permethrin at the beginning of the summer, and have not had any problems. Then again, the only time I ever had a problem with the yellow flies is when I am canoeing Coldwater Creek. This past June, two got me on my hand and it was swollen for days. The 4 that bit me on the ankles and legs itched and were irritated for 2 weeks!

I hate them yellow flies.

Here is a good accounting of them. It indicates that the larva spawn and grow in the water around cypress, which is probably why I repeatedly encouter them on the creeks and rivers of Santa Rosa County.

http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/...yellow_fly.htm

But back to your actual question. The permethrin (if I understand it correctly) is a neurotoxin to insects. It affects all insects and arachnids the same. It kills them very quickly. I have heard reports of hikers shaking off permethrin treated clothes at the end of the day and seeing dead red bugs and ticks just rain down. It should be great for a hammock to kill yellow flies.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Just a reminder: PERMETHRIN IS TOXIC AND DEADLY TO CATS!!! Do not use permethrin in households with or anywhere around cats! Some will argue that permethrin is dangerous only until it dries, but--to me--it's not worth the risk!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    Just a reminder: PERMETHRIN IS TOXIC AND DEADLY TO CATS!!! Do not use permethrin in households with or anywhere around cats! Some will argue that permethrin is dangerous only until it dries, but--to me--it's not worth the risk!
    I was going to use permethrin on my soon-to-arrive WBBB right up until this post...

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Going on 5 years using Permethrin and I've had cats the entire time. My Abby died last year at age 21. My other buddy Stinky is at least 17 and still around. I believe it to be safe when dry. If it were not and given just how deadly it is to cats, my cats would not have survived a year around the stuff.

I don't take it lightly. I love my animals and have had cats for going on 42 years; safe to say I'm a cat guy. They are nowhere near my gear until it is dried, but after that they have crawled all over my stuff.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    "PERMETHRIN HAZARDS FOR CATS

Fleas are a major problem for cat owners. Not only are these tiny creatures a nuisance, they are also the cause of many diseases such as flea anemia, flea bite dermatitis, and tapeworm infestation. Therefore, flea control is often a necessary step in maintaining your cat's health.

Cat owners should always follow label instructions when using flea products. For instance, flea products that are labeled "for use on dogs only" should never be used on cats. Cats react very differently than dogs to some insecticides and some products that are safely used on dogs can be deadly to cats, even in small amounts.

An example of such a species difference is permethrin sensitivity in cats. There are many permethrin spot-on products available that are labeled for "dogs only." These contain high concentrations (45-60%) of permethrin insecticide. These permethrin products have a good range of safety when used on dogs, but even a few drops of concentrated permethrin could be lethal to a cat. Cats are most commonly exposed to these products through inappropriate application by their owners. The signs commonly seen with permethrin toxicity in cats include generalized tremors, muscle fasciculations, and seizures. Signs can develop within hours or may be delayed up to 48 hours.

Though most cats will recover with appropriate treatment by a veterinarian, the best way to avoid serious problems is by using products strictly according to their label directions. Never use products labeled for "dogs only on your cats." Before using ANY product on your cat, read the label instructions completely. If you do not completely understand the instructions, you should contact the product manufacturer or your veterinary staff for clarification. Remember, reading the label could save the life of your cat!

Jill A. Richardson, DVM

Veterinary Poison Control Center

ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center

March 1, 2000"

Call me an over-protective "mom", but I'm just sayin'...
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    I've permethrin'd the snot out of my gear, and my yard (it's used for termites and other house damaging pests) for the past two years, and my *four* cats are just as retarded and healthy as they've ever been.

If the scientists say it's safe for cats when it's dry, I trust them. Seems OK so far.

Edit to add: My cats are indoor cats, and I only permethrin my gear outside on my deck, it's air dried on my deck for 24-48 hours, and I might even toss it in the dryer for 20 minutes on light heat after that 24-48 hour drying period. I am super cautious.

Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7DL Green
    Switchback (w/Netting) 1.9DL Green
    Grizzbridge (aka The Loaner)
    Grand Trunk - Deep Blue
    Trek Light in Olive

Backwoods Daydreamer Winter Tarp - Red
    DIY "Deluxe" in Olive
    Warbonnet Superfly in Olive

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Maybe someone with a special interest -- an owner of cats -- would research this a bit further.

HF loves permethrin --usually -- but it is just one of a large class of insecticides. (Just read the label on spray cans.) Maybe some of the others were developed for reduced toxity to non-insects, damage to surfaces, faster degradation in the environment, overcoming patent and licensing.....whatever.

The limited point is:

Why NOT some informed presentation on other insecticides? The WHO - recommended distribution of treated bed-netting to limit malaria, for example, is done with another agent.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cevans View Post
    You might think me a little off center....
    And you might be right.

Snopes.com and vanilla as insect repellant

If you can cite a valid, scientific source, however, it would help us doubters.

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast