Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg (ret) View Post
The Grand Trunk is a double (according to my Google Ka) so can it fit a ground pad between the layers?
Ah sorry it's double as in double-sized, not double layered.
Info here: Grand Trunk Double
As to weight how about upgrading the suspension etc?
I've already replaced suspension I'm using whoopie slings run through the end channels of the hammock and then attaching to straps with a marlin spike hitch with some wood toggles. Works great!

UQ, TQ, and Tarp; I really like my Hammock Gear 3 season Burrow and Incubator and it was backyard lab work that made me decide (rather quickly) that pads stink. I'd recommend you consider saving for some good down gear and cut through the wait time. Maybe a 3 season Phoenix over the Incubator for backpacking.
In a way I fear that I'll quickly decide I hate the pad-in-the-hammock approach as well because that means I'll need to do one of two things. Either get an UQ or get a new double-layer hammock that I can slide a pad between the layers. Either way sounds expensive right now.

Tarp, I really like my AHE Toxaway for coverage and simplicity but the choices are huge.
Nice tarp. Seems like I'm looking at at least $100 for a good, lightweight tarp. Also a little expensive. Think I'll get a cheap/heavy tarp for now and do some car camping or short-distance backpacking.