Tarp
    AHE Toxoway
    Insulation
    AHE NR UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Never again

...will I leave my bug net at home.

It was a campground I had been to a number of times, with no real issues with skeeters. I figured I was safe to sleep in the little more open air.

I ended up being plenty warm with fleece pants and longsleeve and top quilt up over my head. It was so bad, the little *******s kept me awake.

They focused their wrath on my only exposed area, so now it appears I have very concentrated chicken pox on my forehead.

Images
    they have ways of knowing you can't protect yourself, and spread the word fast. Many trips I've brought the net and not used it. Never left it at home....the little buggers can sense the weakness and will surely exploit it!

Hammock
    GTs & DIYs
    Tarp
    Noah12'/Etowah10'
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    The do know how to seek out anything exposed... my wife had her hand up against the bugnet during the night at one point and she got ate up on the top of her hand.

We picked up some Permethrin and plan to treat out gear to add another layer of protection. They don't seem to bother me much, but my wife has a hard time with them. Post bite she wont leave them alone and they bug for a good 2 weeks afterwards!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    CO2 from your breath also attracts them little ****s.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by foureyedgeek View Post
    ...will I leave my bug net at home.

It was a campground I had been to a number of times, with no real issues with skeeters. I figured I was safe to sleep in the little more open air.

I ended up being plenty warm with fleece pants and longsleeve and top quilt up over my head. It was so bad, the little *******s kept me awake.

They focused their wrath on my only exposed area, so now it appears I have very concentrated chicken pox on my forehead.

I have recently pretty much come to the same conclusion. I got back a couple of weeks ago from the Sawtooths in ID. There were plenty of Mossies. Most clothing, including hats/gloves and the outside of my hammock(even though a dbl layer surrounded by a treated PeaPod so not really needed) were treated with Permethrin. Right before bed time, I would put a new dose of Picaridin on my face. Because sometimes it was too hot for the hat or gloves, I would also spray Picaridin over my head and hands, basically any exposed skin. My friends did more or less the same, though one of them had a netted HH.

Now truthfully, I had no bites at all on this multi-day trip. I don't think any one else did either. And I never heard the little devils buzzing in my ears. Still, when I would put my head light on various bugs would fly near it sometimes, though I don't think I noticed mossies,only moths.

But I found that a paranoia that I would get bit while sleeping interfered with my ability to get to sleep. And I think I was deep down worried the Picaridin, supposedly good for 8 hours, would wear off before dawn. Though if I got up during the night, I would put some more Picaridin on, so really should have been no worries.

It all worked. Still, I found myself wishing for a net, which adds about 3 oz to the weight of a bottom entry HH, and I guess a few oz more with a zippered model. If I had a net, I would have used a lot less Picaridin plus had more peace of mind. Even though results prove it was all psychological BS on my part. This now makes 2 different trips this system has worked for me.

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    -OH keeps 'em away
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Even if you don't have skeeters to contend with I've found I don't care for any flying bugs whether they bite or not.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Insulation
    UGQ down goodness
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxHiker View Post
    Even if you don't have skeeters to contend with I've found I don't care for any flying bugs whether they bite or not.
    I'm with you. Part of the benefit of sleeping in a hammock means nothing gets to crawl on me. In Florida I cant imagine going without a bug net, regardless of the the season.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumbo View Post
    I'm with you. Part of the benefit of sleeping in a hammock means nothing gets to crawl on me. In Florida I cant imagine going without a bug net, regardless of the the season.
    +1!

Even if it weren't for the mosquitoes, there're the fire ants, bull ants (bigger and meaner than the fire ants!), banana spiders, palmetto bugs (flying roaches the size of hummingbirds!), ticks, and an whole host of other crawling and flying menaces. Enclosed shelters are the greatest invention since fire, in my personal opinion.

Hammock
    BIAS 11 footer
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    pitbull Shamu
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonJones View Post
    The do know how to seek out anything exposed... my wife had her hand up against the bugnet during the night at one point and she got ate up on the top of her hand.

We picked up some Permethrin and plan to treat out gear to add another layer of protection. They don't seem to bother me much, but my wife has a hard time with them. Post bite she wont leave them alone and they bug for a good 2 weeks afterwards!
    StingEze actually works pretty good after bites. It won't erase them, but you suffer much less, especially if you get it on them quickly. Another option is some kind of topical astringent, like Sea Breeze. Transfer it to a small bottle for easier packing. Cotton balls help with application, or you could just use you fingers.
    Ken T.

“Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world.”
    ― John Muir
    Watches synchronized, sharp mind and empty bladder. You get caught, demand an attorney and don't ever say my name. - Agent Simmons
    "With your eyes closed you can't tell the difference between Tyvek and Cuben." - Knotty

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast