WB Traveler
    Tarp
    DD Tarp 3x3
    Insulation
    GarQuilt/Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by sidvicious View Post
    not if the same card or your email was once used with a paypal account.
    Is this because you had a PayPal account and closed it? Otherwise, it shouldn't matter.

There have been numerous times where I have paid via a card and/or email I use with my PayPal account without using PayPal. It recognizes my email and encourages me to sign in to PayPal to complete the transaction, but I also have the option to complete it without signing in to PayPal. Have done that several times.

On the business side of things, we send out invoices via PayPal quite frequently to people who we know don't have PayPal accounts (they tell us so). We are able to get paid through the PayPal service without them having a PayPal account, but that just may be something unique to the level of service we utilize through PayPal.

Hammock
    WBBB, DIY, ENO DN
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    3 days “In-school”
    Images
    I think people don't realize just how riddled, Paypal actually is with security failures. If you have never had it happen to you, then you wouldn't because Paypal does a great job of covering it up. I once had $1000 emptied out of my bank account through Paypal. Paypal reimbursed me three days later, but that was three days I had no access to my money. When I asked to explain how and why, I ran in to a wall. A few days after I purchased my Warbonnet, using the credit card option in Paypal I had 5 mystery charges to my credit card, so it had to be canceled. So Paypal is far from secure in my experience.

As to the two hour wait, what's reasonable? We are talking about doing business here! Would you want to wait two hours to order a pizza, or speak to customer service with your cell phone company? If you want to have a business, then you have to respond to people's inquiries quickly. If Brandon had made me wait two hours, he would have sold one less Hammock, because I was in a hurry when I called him.

Hammock
    ENO Single Nest and Reactor
    Tarp
    ENO DryFly
    Insulation
    Thermarest and bag
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    You can set up a paypal accounts with a credit card and no bank account. I have this exact set up. Paypal keeps asking me to attach a bank account to my PP account but I won't do that.

Mike

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest... So far
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    Cheeseburgers
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Maybe the title of the thread should be "you snooze you lose" DD responded in 15 minutes the other co took several days.

I am sure they are both good companies but any business that is doing web based sales should be more on the ball that that.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    DD Tarp 3x3
    Insulation
    GarQuilt/Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Southpaw, it's not just limited to PayPal. I have had and personally know others who have also had fraudulent transactions appear in the accounts after using credit/debit cards at restaurants, bars, hotels, etc. There is just a risk in using credit/debit cards in any setting.

As for what's reasonable for a response time, I believe it depends on the type of communication method being used.

If I call to order a pizza, yes, I do expect the pizza place to answer the phone in a timely manner. The same goes on those occasions when I have to speak to my cell phone company (who I expect to have to wait on hold with).

However, as far as email is concerned, I view it as reasonable to get a response back within one business day. In my mind, email is not the same as 'instant messaging'. Although I think most people have the expectation that they are the same.

Cottage industry owners like Brandon sure have a tough time of it. They have to balance constantly checking email for potential customer questions and still producing products at the speed that customers demand.

In a comical way, I envision people out there saying to themselves "Brandon better be at his computer, ready to answer my email immediately for him to get my order. And once he gets it, he better turn off his computer, and everything else in his life, until he has produced the hammock (or other product) that I ordered".

It's the whole, "I don't really care what he does as long as I am the most important person in his life" syndrome.

YMMV.

Back to my original rant, the point was that if you don't like PayPay, there were other options available for payment and trashing a vendor like that in this forum was not right.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    One thing to consider in this situation is that Claytor is located on the other side of the world from the US.....They were probably sleeping rather than sitting up all night waiting for an email to possibly come in. 2 hours is hardly a fair chance for them to respond during the middle of the night where they are. Not defending or promoting Claytor but just trying to put some geographic perspective on their side.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Obviously I did send them an email on friday morning early and they responded in a non helpful way on wednesday.
    I sent DD an email late their time on Friday and had my DD hammock on Tuesday. How was I not being fair?

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    +1

I'm thinking something more along the lines of "Horrible Customer Expectations"

You got impatient after two hours and now Claytor is the bad guy?

And hammering a business because they use PayPay doesn't seem fair either.

Oh, and BTW, I took a look at the Claytor site and it shows that they accept as payment by, in addition to PayPal, US check, bank transfer or Western Union transfer. So if you don't like PayPal, use one of the other options.

Side note: You don't have to have a PayPal account to pay someone via PayPal.

I am still trying to figure out why the company you work for blocking access to PayPal is reason for you to go off on a business that uses it.

I think it is awesome that you had a great experience with DD. Good for you and for them.

However, I don't think your impatience, ridiculous expectations and limitations placed on your internet access by the company you work for should not be cause for you to trash another company.

Just my $.02 worth...
    Some have trouble reading. I was offshore with restricted internet. Yes, waiting 2 hours only was inpatient on my part but, they did not contact me until wednesday the following week. DD returned my call within 15 minutes which is incredible. I asked claytor to call me or to send me a # so that I could call them. DD called and Claytor sent an email. This is hoorible service

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    incubator/burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Images
    "However, I don't think your impatience, ridiculous expectations and limitations placed on your internet access by the company you work for should not be cause for you to trash another company."

I agree with avenger on this.
    Just let it go. You got what you wanted, when you wanted it and on your terms. Why keep beating it to death. Go out and enjoy your new gear!!

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    I believe this thread is incorrectly titled "horrible service".
    Maybe it should have read "After waiting 2 hours I became impatient"?
    took the words out of my mouth....

everyone wants everything right now .... thats not how the world works
    also like others have said they are half way around the world and for all we know maybe they don't work weekends we don't know
    not saying or defending Claytor ... but they did get back to you a few days later
    not every business will get back to you in min ...
    also lets leave PP out of this ... i don't see how PP security problems have anything to do with Claytor getting back to him

there is a key word that is missing in todays world ...... Patience
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast