HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware

HH & Dutch Clip

I have a HH Ultralite A-sym since 2003. It’s ready for a makeover.

I’m going to have 2QZQ do a Mod 2 or Mod 4.

I’ve purchased new tree straps, Whoopie Slings, and Elephant Trunks from Patrick over at Smart Outdoors.

I want to add a Dutch Binder from JRB to speed the setup process. The setup I want to do is the following:

Tree strap (Loop in one end for half of Dutch Binder) other end Tree Strap -> Elephant Trunk -> Whoopie Sling -> Hennessy Hammock.
    Here are my questions:
    Over at JRB there is a warning on the Dutch Clip, which states:
    Dutch Clips are not suitable for use on hammocks with a structural ridge line that are designed to be stretched tautly between the trees.

Would this apply to the Hennessy? I’m not seeing why it would, but want to check before I purchase them.

Am I missing anything in this setup for the hammock?

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    good question....

i thought these were "standard issue" for anybody wanting to shave weight while retaining hardware for their suspension----no matter what hammock they are using.

per the JRB instructions, it may just account for a classic mistake of wanting to hang the hmmk super tight.
    Last edited by rip waverly; 09-14-2011 at 23:40.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    WB Blackbird, WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge and Down
    Suspension
    Straps and Buckles
    I don't know the official answer is, but I use Dutch Clips with both of our Hennesys.

In fact, I use the all-in-one suspension from JRB on our hammocks.
    If your lucky enough to be outdoors, your lucky enough!

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    HH was my first hammock and it is the one I thru'd with. When I set it up I would pull it as tight as I can. Then I layed in it for 5 minutes to let things stretch, get out and retie one side making it even tighter. This was in 2003 before Dutch clips, whoopies, HF, and even UQs. I was setting it up wrong but you wouldn't have known it by reading the instructions on the stuff sack. People snapped thier ridge line and it was really hard on the suspension and the huggers. Now, and because of HF, I know better the forces caused by a tight suspension. If people set up like I described the forces on the suspension can exceed 1100 pounds. I would not like Dutch clips used in that application.
    If the hammock is set up with a reasonable sag that holds the ridgeline and suspension tight but not straight accross from hugger to hugger the Dutch clip is plenty strong enough. So JRB and I want to make sure that they are being used correctly which is with a 30 degree sag. I set up my HH with that much sag and I believe it works perfectly without putting stress on the suspension, hammock, or ridgeline. If we put out a product and don't state the correct way to use it it will be used incorrectly at some point. Mostly we don't want anyone to get hurt.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Could it just be a typo? Seems like if it said a hammock WITHOUT a ridgeline that is stretched tight it would make more sense. Just a thought.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe classic
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS+OC, 20 UGQ
    Suspension
    rings and straps
    Dutch,
    Thanks for the great information! Where else do you find this kind of information from the guys who design stuff! I am thinking of using these on my HH too.

huauqui

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware

Thanks Dutch

I had a feeling they would work, but due to the lack of proper instructions back in 2003, it was hard to figure out. I think there was one video from Just Jeff at the time to show how to hang.

I've always done the slow method of getting in and couldn't remember who told me back then, but that it didn't need to be hung super tight from Hugger to Hugger.

My concern was my thru hike weight in 2004 & 2005 was around 160lbs. Now it's @ 240lbs, but that comes off fast as I get back out and hike on a daily basis, but I wanted to check here 1st to get some info.

My ridgeline is fine, but I'm thinking of replacing it with something lighter, stronger & I'm researching that as well.

Thanks.

By the way Dutch, I'm trying to view your web site (http://www.outdoortrailgear.com) with Firefox Browser, but it keeps crashing. Has anyone else had this problem?
    Last edited by OneThing; 09-14-2011 at 22:05. Reason: Question for Dutch

seems to be OK with me - Firefox 6.0.2 under Ubuntu 11.04

wrt the original question - if concerned about exceeding the rating of the Dutch Clip additional safety factor can be had if one does a round turn with the strap before clipping it - the friction of the round turn will reduce the load seen by the clip
    Last edited by jlb2012; 09-15-2011 at 04:46.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Every Now and then bad info gets promulgated on Hammock Forums....Stringing hammocks tightly...As was a fad 3-5 years ago, is one such EXAMPLE OF BAD INFO...It may be convient, it may let shorter folk hang hamocks only 6 feet up on 18 foot hangs, but it adds tremendous forces on almost every component...and it can drive additional cost by using higher test materials.

Classic examples were the rash of HH ridge lines snapping several years back and the numerous reported line and stap failures reported in HF...More recently some of the failures of lighter material (cuben) are as likely factors of bad hang angle as bad material choice.... And the many threads and question on such matteras " is this line ok for a ridge line?"

The ridge line popularized by HH and later WB and the great "ridge line patent" debate is really meant to set the proper sag angle of the hammock... The overall hang ange of the rig between the trees is still ideal at 30*....NOT STRUNG LIKE A BANJO WIRE.

To the subject of the thread...Dutch Clips are fine on properly hung HH or any other hammock hung with proper 30* hang angles.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware

Where to put the Clip?

I have a Dynagldie Adjustable Ridgeline, (Whoopie Sling) I'm going to use to replace the HH ridgeline. I have a "Dutch Mini Biners for ridgeline" that should be here this week that I want to use as well.

Anything I should be aware of before I cut and install the biner as far as where it should go along the ridgeline? I'm thinking either at the foot or head unless someone has a reason why it should go else where.

Thanks

• + New Posts