First Hammock Arrived Today... New to Hanging

Hello, allow me to introduce myself! My name is Scott and I am a student in Gainesville, FL. I have been camping all my life, but always in a tent on the ground. It wasn't until recently that I decided to start taking longer backpacking trips and started looking for ways to lighten my load.

Today, my ultralight backpacking solution arrived today in the form of an ultralight "the travel hammock" hammock. The thing weighs a whopping 10oz. and cost $20. I also bought some flat tree straps by Hammock Bliss to go along with it.

I was eager to test it out, so I trekked out to a creek in the woods by my house and found a suitable pair of trees. I decided to pitch the hammock over the creek just for grins. After a few triple half-hitch knots and about 2 minutes, the hammock was hanging and ready to go. I was nervous at first, but the second I laid down I realized that I will never use a tent again- it was so comfortable! The hammock supported my body well in any position. I tried lying straight, diagonal, on my side, etc. and love it all. I especially like that I can sit up and that I can lie with my legs over the sides.

I thought that a hammock would be less comfortable and less stable than lying on the ground, but I was willing to try for the price and the lightweight factor. However, I don't think I will look at a tent the same way I used to. Tonight I am going to try pitching the hammock in the backyard and lying in it with my sleeping bag. It won't get below 60F tonight, so I think I will be okay. I'll post tomorrow on the results.

a new convert,
    Scott

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Welcome to the hangin mafia.
    How bad you Gators gonna beat them Buckeyes?
    Assuming you go to Florida.
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 12-29-2006 at 17:30.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by SRPhotographic View Post
    Hello, allow me to introduce myself! My name is Scott and I am a student in Gainesville, FL. I have been camping all my life, but always in a tent on the ground. It wasn't until recently that I decided to start taking longer backpacking trips and started looking for ways to lighten my load.

Today, my ultralight backpacking solution arrived today in the form of an ultralight "the travel hammock" hammock. The thing weighs a whopping 10oz. and cost $20. I also bought some flat tree straps by Hammock Bliss to go along with it.

I was eager to test it out, so I trekked out to a creek in the woods by my house and found a suitable pair of trees. I decided to pitch the hammock over the creek just for grins. After a few triple half-hitch knots and about 2 minutes, the hammock was hanging and ready to go. I was nervous at first, but the second I laid down I realized that I will never use a tent again- it was so comfortable! The hammock supported my body well in any position. I tried lying straight, diagonal, on my side, etc. and love it all. I especially like that I can sit up and that I can lie with my legs over the sides.

I thought that a hammock would be less comfortable and less stable than lying on the ground, but I was willing to try for the price and the lightweight factor. However, I don't think I will look at a tent the same way I used to. Tonight I am going to try pitching the hammock in the backyard and lying in it with my sleeping bag. It won't get below 60F tonight, so I think I will be okay. I'll post tomorrow on the results.

a new convert,
    Scott
    awesome man,you will be hanging with great company here,welcome aboard,and as always may always hang happily neo

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Welcome to the hanging crowd!

I'd take something extra for the bottom.... Bottom insulation is needed by most startin at about 70 * , believe it or not...

Tell us how your first night went... tomorrow.

pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Welcome SRPhotograhic,
    It's great to have another Gator on board here. You'll hammock camping but be careful it's addicting and can lead to making your own gear. There is a learning curve for staying warm but you've come to the right place. There is a wealth of information here and among all the members who are always so helpful and willing to share and help each other.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Images
    Welcome to the crowd and the forum.

One of the fun things about hanging is trying to find all of those great spots tents will never work at. I have yet to sleep over water, but I am going to try to find a spot my next time out.

BTW

GO BUCKS!!!
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Welcome to the forum and to hanging. Looking forward to hearing how things turned out for you.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images

take what pan says to heart

I often sleep in a hammock at home, in summer if its hot sleep in the hammock with a cheapo walmart table fan aimed at the hammock---you can turn the AC off probably and will still need something under you!

• + New Posts