Tarp
    Noah's 12
    Insulation
    Incubator20
    Suspension
    Whoopie n Marlin
    Images

Help me upcycle this sleeping bag

So my sister's dog has developed a taste for polyester batting & attacked her big ol' Coleman sleeping bag to get at the stuff. The damage is only to the outer shell & can be covered by a 12" x 16" rectangle. She got one final weekend in the bag after I used safety pins & a folded up pillowcase to cover the damage. My "fix" worked to keep the batting inside but she bought a new bag anyway stating that the old one "just looks too ghetto". Anyways, I now have a big piece of slightly used insulation to turn into an underquilt. When unzipped, it looks roughly like this:

My first thought (lets call it Plan A) was to cut out the biggest usable rectangle (around 72x50"), edge it up with grosgrain, & run shock cord through the grosgrain channels. Done, full length UQ that only goes car camping.

Since I already have a stockpile of shockcord & grosgrain this would basically be a free piece of gear. What is better than a free piece of gear? Well, two pieces of free gear of course! Here's another sketch (Plan B) where I might try to get a much smaller UQ with a matching TQ:

Now, this presents at least two challenges. First, the new UQ is far smaller & might not be sufficient. Second, the TQ will be very narrow near the foot end, with simply not enough sleeping bag to make a footbox.

To deal with these two challenges, I'm thinking of adding a pad pocket to complete the bottom side of the TQ's footbox. (see purple wedge thingy below)

The purple piece would be 2 layers of ripstop or fleece & would hold a wedge of closed cell foam, hopefully picking up where the smaller UQ left off.

So what do you all think? I would much rather try Plan B if the DIY experts think it could work.
    Last edited by urdadi; 09-14-2011 at 20:33.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    In either plan, you're still unlikely to be backpacking with the resulting quilts. The UQ option in your plan B is going to be pretty small at 36"x50" based on your measurements.

If it were me, I'd be inclined to do option A and have a full length UQ that you could use for car camping purposes or as one to loan out to someone. Most people would likely already have a sleeping bag or blankets that could be used as a TQ for a car camping or very short backpacking trip.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    DIY ZHammock + Eno Gaurdian
    Tarp
    Noah's 12
    Insulation
    Incubator20
    Suspension
    Whoopie n Marlin
    Images
    yeah, it's definately not light... I'd guess this sb is about 5lbs before cutting.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, Multicam
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, DIY APEX
    Suspension
    Dutch Clip, Hook

Option A

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post

If it were me, I'd be inclined to do option A and have a full length UQ that you could use for car camping purposes or as one to loan out to someone. Most people would likely already have a sleeping bag or blankets that could be used as a TQ for a car camping or very short backpacking trip.

Cheers

Brian
    Me too, +1 Opt. A
    Diz*

"adapt, improvise, overcome" Clint Eastwood - Heart brake ridge

• + New Posts