Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    My hiking boots died last month after 15 years. I don't even know what brand they were, but they took me through desert, mountains, swamps, rain and snow and I never got a blister, and never got wet feet. They will be missed.

Because my wife is a Macy's employee, I wanted to take advantage of her hefty discounts. Therefore, I had to choose from something sold at Macy's. I chose the Timberland Chocorua hiking boot. My son took a pair of these for a two-week hike in New Mexico and had no complaints. It's not a mid-height (which I like), and they're not lightweight by any means, but for 40% off list ($130), I thought I'd give them a try. It would be nice to think I won't have to buy another pair for 15 years.

They are comfy, but the real test is in the field. What annoys me is how different the sizing is these days. I used to wear a size 11 1/2 shoe, and that was the only size I bought. Nowadays, I wear anywhere between a 10 1/2 and a 13 1/2. What happened to the world? Why must a 5'11" man wear a size 13 shoe? I feel like Shaquille O'Neal.

"Do you have this in a size 13?"

"No sir, freaks like you should shop at the big and tall store. This store is for normal people."

Hammock
    DangerBird or Lefty 1.7 BB
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    JRB's MW3, RMNS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Shoe size

Quote Originally Posted by fubba28 View Post
    . What annoys me is how different the sizing is these days. I used to wear a size 11 1/2 shoe, and that was the only size I bought. Nowadays, I wear anywhere between a 10 1/2 and a 13 1/2. What happened to the world? Why must a 5'11" man wear a size 13 shoe? I feel like Shaquille O'Neal.

"Do you have this in a size 13?"

"No sir, freaks like you should shop at the big and tall store. This store is for normal people."
    Man, can I relate to the problem of varying sizes. How did all these shoe lasts suddenly vary in size? Globalization and translation issues?
    Do you imagine the universe is agitated?
    Go into the desert at night and look out at the stars,
    This practice should answer the question... Lao Tzu

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Now, one trouble with having long-lasting boots is the absent incentive to go to the web page of a traditional boot maker and find a video appreciated here.

For those who would wish to hike in greater safety around rattlesnakes or vipers.

Of course, I assume some prejudicial favoritism for shoes and boots not contracted to SE Asian or Chinese factories.

Hammock
    Eno DN
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Poncho Liners/DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    My vote for the money is Merrel Moab. Under 2 lbs and got them under $100 bucks at Campmor.com; EMS sells them for $125. This is my second pair, over the past decade or so. I previosly wore North Face, Tmberland, EMS and Hi-Techs which all had some good, and not so good, qualities but this is the first pair I bought again and intend to keep buying until they fail me.

I put my first pair out to pasture after finishing an AT section in Massachusetts this June that witnessed 3 T-storms in 24 hours and had me climbing, and descending, Race Mt. and Mt. Everett in waterfall-like conditions. They provided great support and stuck to the rocks I was climbing upon despite being four years old and seeing regular wearing. note- My foot runs narrow and many other boots prove too loose and cause blistering and toe nail issues.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe classic
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS+OC, 20 UGQ
    Suspension
    rings and straps
    I have a buddy who uses a set of DocMartin boots and swears by them. A bit heavy but this guy is hard on gear and they just keep going. I personally bought a set of nice redwings (I have skinny feet and they make narrow widths that work well.) I thought they might go a couple years but 12 plus years of daily wear and they are still going strong. I treat them monthly in the winter and as needed in the summer and I use them for work/everything.

I wouldn't want to try bouldering or ice climbing in them but trail walking OH YEAH! They wen't from village to village all across the Andes from 8,000'-15,000'+ for 7 years and did everything I asked them too.

Huauqui

Hammock
    Walhalla 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    OES MC DLX Sil
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ/ GL Bag
    Vasque Breeze is a good boot as well. I have both Keens and Vasques and love them both!

Hammock
    Eno Singlenest & DubbleNest
    Tarp
    ENO Pro Fly
    Insulation
    Foam pad & slp bag
    Suspension
    Atlas straps
    Images
    So I guess Crocs are out of the Question?

U am also in the market for a good boot
    This is your one stop shop for all Hammock knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by blkx01 View Post
    Zamberlan 310 Skill GT: Light weight, great support, made in Italy. Had mine 12 years & still going strong.
    http://www.zamberlan.com/catalog/ind...rod=17&idcat=2
    blkx01,

Do you have a size and weight on your Skills? I've been eyeing Zamberlan boots and the 308 Trekker, 310 Skill and 198 Tundra are on my short list.
    "There are places in this world that are neither here nor there, neither up nor down, neither real nor imaginary. These are the in-between places, difficult to find and even more challenging to sustain." - Thomas Moore

Hammock
    BIAS WW
    Tarp
    CF
    Insulation
    GLP 3/4 special
    Suspension
    DG whoops/huggers
    I'm going to try Lowa Zephyrs soon. Will post back with a review. Right now I have a pair of Italian Sundowners and Asolo TPS 520s. Looking to go lighter/synthetic...

I have a pair of Lowa Renegades right now and while a decent boot I'm finding the toebox to be a bit small.
    "There are places in this world that are neither here nor there, neither up nor down, neither real nor imaginary. These are the in-between places, difficult to find and even more challenging to sustain." - Thomas Moore

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast