Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tall Man in a Quandary

It's time to buy a hammock, but the huge range of options has given me decision paralysis. I've literally spent 20 hours over the last few days researching hammocks on the Internet, and hardly feel I'm any closer to pulling the trigger now than I was before. My tentative goal is to make a purchase before this evening ends, but I don't want to be rash.

Some off-the-cuff thoughts:

If it wasn't for my height, I might well have already settled on the WBBB. I'm 6'6", maybe 6'7". From searching this forum, it appears that just about all of my fellow tall campers who've tried this hammock love it, but there have been a couple of exceptions. How much room are we really talking about for a guy of my length? I have plenty of experience camping in a one-man tent that's just barely long and wide enough to accommodate me, as long as I don't shift at all, and never want to go there again. I want to feel that I have more than ample room--that even if I were six inches taller, I wouldn't be bumping into anything.

Am I being too fussy? Well, maybe that'd be the case if I were only planning on sleeping in the hammock. But for me, hammocking will to a large extent be the whole point of the journeys, not just a stop on the path. I envision myself reading and writing in the thing all day, going out for maybe an hour-long stroll in the woods in the evening, then hopping right back in at dusk to sleep. Comfort is paramount. I generally only hike as far into the wilderness as I must to feel confident I won't see other people, and am quite fit and strong anyway, so gear weight is no object.

Is there a hammock that's known for being especially good for sitting up in? One of Raul Perez's videos shows the WBBB being used in this way, and Raul seems to like it, but with the Blackbird, you lose the protection of the bug net when you do this, as the net is integrated with the hammock. I was thinking that with the Traveler and a separate bug net which encases the whole setup, you could sit up and still have protection from insects. Has anyone tried this? I really liked the Traveler setup that AmJustDuane showed off in his YouTube videos. And if I got the Traveler, I wouldn't have to worry about buying a bug net for many months, with the cold weather about to set in.

Very tall people: How would you compare the Traveler to the Blackbird in terms of accommodating your length? I know the overall dimensions of the two are the same, but wonder what difference the lack of an integrated bug net and foot box on the Traveler really makes when the rubber hits the road.

There's a great deal more than this kicking around in my head, but I think I've peppered you guys with enough questions for the moment. I'll just start the thread and go from there. Glad to be here.

By the way, I've focused entirely on Warbonnet hammocks because WB's what I'm leaning toward, but feel free to make any other suggestions.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    I'm 6'2''. I had a WBBB. I recently sold it after I tried a Switchback. It feels much more roomy.

It also has no structural ridgeline so therefor you can tighten it down a bit more than a WBBB, thereby lengthening it even further.

YMMV

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendertoe View Post
    I'm 6'2''. I had a WBBB. I recently sold it after I tried a Switchback. It feels much more roomy.

It also has no structural ridgeline so therefor you can tighten it down a bit more than a WBBB, thereby lengthening it even further.

YMMV
    When I did that with a switchback hammock, I had the worst night ever...bad enough so that I returned the hammock. YMMV.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'm 6'5" and have an 11 foot "custom" Traveler. It fits me better than the standard length Traveler, though I'm generally happy in a standard length Blackbird when I want an integrated bugnet.

I've not tried the Night Owl, but it looks to be a good choice for tall folks (at 11 feet long).
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    The Hennessy Safari is a large hammock.

We don't know how much you weigh, which is another part of the equation.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
    The Hennessy Safari is a large hammock.

We don't know how much you weigh, which is another part of the equation.
    245 pounds. Long and lean overall, but broad in the upper torso.

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    Make your own for less than $40. Mine is 12 feet long and holds my 300 pounds and 6'4" frame very well.
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I am 6' and 170lbs,,,and I really don't think you want to consider a stock Traveler,,you want as long as hammock as you can get for the best lay,,just my opinion,,and the next hammock I am going to get is a Wilderness Logic just for the ablitity to adjust the head and foot box. as that really has my attention. I also think you can have any of these custom makers make you any length you want if you want to add some length to your hammock,,go 11 or even 11.5 ft on length. But,,your going to have to experiment to find the perfect hammock with that perfect sweet spot you love to lay in.
    Last edited by Acer; 09-12-2011 at 20:18.

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Rick View Post
    Make your own for less than $40. Mine is 12 feet long and holds my 300 pounds and 6'4" frame very well.
    I barely know how to use a sewing machine and don't see that working out very well. I'd rather pay for my rig in dollars than aggravation.

I've been trying to research the WL Night Owl ever since flatline mentioned it (thanks, btw), but it seems to be a lesser-known hammock. YouTube appears to have no reviews at all, Google only threw up a handful of results, and this site only has a few threads that I've found so far. It looks good on the WL site, though; very long and spacious. I also like the open-air design.

What about the ENO Doublenest for the tallest of the tall?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast