WB Traveler
    Tarp
    DD Tarp 3x3
    Insulation
    GarQuilt/Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies

First Overnight Hang

Had my first overnight hang last night. I say first overnight hang as I have spent plenty of time in a rope hammock in the backyard and such, but last night was a different story.

I actually 'camped out' on my patio as I couldn't wait to go out this weekend (which I still not sure if I will be able to go anyway) and I felt that was a pretty good place to do a test run.

It didn't hurt that I received the WB Traveler that I took off of Rip Waverly's hands as well as my order from Stu at Whoopie Slings yesterday to complete my setup. And I was just dying to pull out the Jarbridge I purchased during Arrowhead's big 2nd Anniversary sale as well as a Gar-Quilt I picked up from Randy at Gargoyle Gear.

It also didn't hurt that we had a bit of a cold front blow in that brought a lot of clouds yesterday as well as some much needed rain AND dropped the temps down into the 70s for the day and cooler during the night.

I got everything setup last night and was able to have a good first night in the hammock. I have a little bit of tweaking to do as I felt like I slid down in the hammock a couple of times last night. But the Gar-Quilt and the Jarbridge both worked like a charm. I checked the temp right around 3 am and it was 59* and I was plenty comfortable. No doubt in my mind that I could go lower as well.

Got up this morning and packed everything up for practice and must say that it went a little quicker than I expected.

Am planning on pulling it out again this evening and trying it again. I might even see if my 12 week old lab pup will join me tonight. But I may not be quite brave enough for that just yet.

I guess that is all now for this report other than to thank all those on these forums that I have learned from and been inspired by and who have helped me to get up off the ground.

Thanks!

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Another success story!

Careful with the pup, while small it's cute to have a hanging buddy in the hammock, but when they get full grown things can get crowded quickly.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    congrats!

It's rewarding I think after that first night, like a proof of concept. You have arrived my friend; welcome!

Watch it with the puppy. As others will surely mention; just a small snag from his claws is all it will take to drop you both on the ground. Maybe not as much a concern right now, but in a year... And you might as well not start any bad habbits you may regret later.

I hope tonight goes just as well for you.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    DD Tarp 3x3
    Insulation
    GarQuilt/Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I plan on being very careful with the pup and breaking her in slow and easy. That is why we will probably start with a nap this afternoon in the hammock.

I have been getting a lot of good info from Lordofmt who has regular trips with a lab or two of his.

We'll see how it goes.

Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Congratulations! One night in a hammock and the ground dwelling is finished!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WarBonnet Blackbird 1.1
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Edge
    Insulation
    4 JRB quilts.
    Suspension
    Home made job.
    Hi there Avenger,

Good first hang report! I’m pretty new to the world of hanging too and I find it interesting to read, or see, how other new hangers hang on there first few hangs. The patio is a great place to do test hangs. The next step is to go to somewhere you know fairly well and close to home base. I’ve got a WBBB and it took about 10 sleeps before I got it really dialled in. A little bit of tweaking will pay off for you.

Hammock
    DangerBird Clark North American
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepplin UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Buckles/Link
    Congrats on the first night's outing. I had to make my first hang in my neighbor's backyard because I just couldn't wait to get a night in in my hammock either. Please let me know how things go with your pup. I have an 18 week old lab that I am planning on making my hiking/camping buddy and I am curious how he might do with a hammock. (actually I am thinking about making him his own)

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    DD Tarp 3x3
    Insulation
    GarQuilt/Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by KCcamper View Post
    Congrats on the first night's outing. I had to make my first hang in my neighbor's backyard because I just couldn't wait to get a night in in my hammock either. Please let me know how things go with your pup. I have an 18 week old lab that I am planning on making my hiking/camping buddy and I am curious how he might do with a hammock. (actually I am thinking about making him his own)
    Ended up not involving the pup last night for my second hang. She was pooped out by the time I made it to the hammock and I didn't want to wake her and get her all wound up. We'll see if we can work in an afternoon nap today.

I like the ideal of making a hammock for her to go under mine. Could be a gear hammock that just gets used by her instead of my gear.

• + New Posts