Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch/Dynaglide

REI Garage Sale

REI in Pineville, NC is having a Garage Sale today.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    Pad & BigAgnes Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Schaumburg IL on September 24 at 8 AM

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Dallas was last week. I didn't find anything on the sale counters. But you know, you have to shop! I found a pair of REI convertible pants on the "clearance" rack (NOT on the garage sale rack). I tried them on and was thinking to purchase them. Price was like $50. Then I found a section of Columbia convertible pants. Better selection and priced at $35! And they fit better and had more pockets......
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    The Madison REI store is remodeling and one of the employees told me they were no longer going to hold the "scratch n dent" sales. They are going to set up a clearance section in the store and things will just go there as they come in. That means all the good deals I've found over the years are now going to be pure luck "right place at the right time" when I happen to be able to go in.
    Bummer for me, since it's a 50 minute drive, I can't go over there and check the selection very often.... was easier just to gear up for a big sale. Plus, I actually enjoyed sitting out in front of the store for 3-4 hours waiting to get in... was kind of a fun little ritual prefacing the event. People all just chatting, making cocoa on camp stoves, reading, etc.
    "I know the feeling - It is the real thing - You can't refuse the embrace!" | "Go n-éirí an bóthar leat."

Gave up on REI

When I could nt come up with my membership number and they were unable to help me I gave up on them. Seems tome that they could cross reference my name somehow and come up with the number. One contact from them with no results.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered and ENO DN
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jima59 View Post
    When I could nt come up with my membership number and they were unable to help me I gave up on them. Seems tome that they could cross reference my name somehow and come up with the number. One contact from them with no results.
    That's weird. I just give them my phone number when I don't have my membership card. Have you tried using this https://www.rei.com/membership/support#divMemLookup?
    Last edited by SpaceCadet; 09-18-2011 at 10:11.
    If you don't try due to fear of failure you've already failed due to fear.

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by kehlopolis View Post
    Schaumburg IL on September 24 at 8 AM
    Thanks for that. I've been sniping stuff out of the grotto (I got an REI Screen House for $65 with no issues!), but the Garage Sales are taken over by hoarders and selfish/rude people that hog everything in a pile then pick through it later. I hope REI changes their rules about how things are done.
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7DL Green
    Switchback (w/Netting) 1.9DL Green
    Grizzbridge (aka The Loaner)
    Grand Trunk - Deep Blue
    Trek Light in Olive

Backwoods Daydreamer Winter Tarp - Red
    DIY "Deluxe" in Olive
    Warbonnet Superfly in Olive

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
    Thanks for that. I've been sniping stuff out of the grotto (I got an REI Screen House for $65 with no issues!), but the Garage Sales are taken over by hoarders and selfish/rude people that hog everything in a pile then pick through it later. I hope REI changes their rules about how things are done.
    Seems like each store gets to set their own rules...
    The Madison store vs the Milwaukee store illustrates how these sales can be totally different.
    Milwaukee: Sale starts at 10:00am. People are waiting in line for hours. They throw the door opens and it's a mad rush to the high price items.
    Madison: Sale starts at 10:00. People wait in line for a few hours to obtain a ticket for a time slot. Time slots are every 20 minutes. 10:00, 10:20, 10:40, etc. At 9:00-ish they go around passing out tickets to the people waiting in line. Only 20 people per time slot. You can then go get breakfast or whatever and come back to the store at your time slot and show your ticket. You get 20 minutes to shop.
    Sure, the first few groups pretty much get all the good stuff, but the chaos is WAY more controlled with only 20 people in at a time.

No matter what happens, you will see half the stuff on eBay the next day with people coming up with all sorts of excuses for the magic marker "X" being on the item. Guy on eBay last week had a few items and was flat out lying about why the marker X was on his items.

Funny thing, the first time I ever went to a REI sale, I got in with the first group. They had all the sleeping bags draped over this wall. As they let us in, the guy in front of me went straight to that wall and literally walked along and scooped up as many as he could hold and then left. They were all on eBay two days later.
    "I know the feeling - It is the real thing - You can't refuse the embrace!" | "Go n-éirí an bóthar leat."

Hammock
    WBBB, DIY, ENO DN
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    3 days “In-school”
    Images
    My REI in Brentwood TN has started having what they call "Gear Closet" the last one I went to had a single file line from the back all the way out the door. I ended up just turning around and walking right back out the door. Personally I miss the scratch and dent sale with color lottery. When you got there you were given a ticket of a certain color, and they called those colors out in no certain order. What was cool about that, was that they restocked the pile between groups so every group had a pretty equal shot at getting an item they are looking for.

• + New Posts