Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by MrClean417 View Post
    You know, if you would have just done that last night and slept in it LAST NIGHT....

We'd have our answer NOW!

Just sayin.
    Well without further adieu, (for those who are so excited to hear how it was ^^^ )

It was pretty good. I still feel like I am on the one side of the hammock, but I was able to lay diagonal, so that was nice.

I was a little cold this morning, but Im tough. Thanks for the help guys.

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    See, now was that so hard?

Good to hear, little more work, let the hammock break in a bit and you'll be in like Flint. Did you put a CCF pad in there? Takes a little comfort away but takes the cold air off your backside as well. OR just go all out fancy and put an underquilt on it. I need to work on a Frankenquilt.

welcome to H.F. from N.Y.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark XL
    Insulation
    ZLiner
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hey from Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by MrClean417 View Post
    See, now was that so hard?

Good to hear, little more work, let the hammock break in a bit and you'll be in like FLIN. Did you put a CCF pad in there? Takes a little comfort away but takes the cold air off your backside as well. OR just go all out fancy and put an underquilt on it. I need to work on a Frankenquilt.
    Well actually, it was really hard.

What is this pad you speak of. I am just using a sleeping bag and a peanut pillow. Thats it. A pad might be a good investment. Point me in a direction OH Mr. Smart Mouth

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    It's a Double Warbonnet right, so you have one layer that is attached to the bottom layer about mid hammock giving you access underneath the top layer you sleep on. Walmart sales Blue Closed Cell Foam pads in the camping section for about 5-6 bucks. Buy one and when it's cold out, slide it inbetween the layers. The hammock is designed that way so you don't need one of those SPE's to hold your pad in the right way. Now, you will be sleeping on a slightly flatter surface that is not as form fitting and comfortable as the hammock itself, but it will bend around you after a bit AND as it's CCF it keeps the cold air insulated from your backside while laying in the hammock. Should keep you warm down into the thirtys. I had it on down into the 40's and was a little on the to warm side. Granted the night before I rememberd to put it in I had a doubled over insulated blanket over me and with rolling side to side tucked the extra under my body, leaving me just about a 3 inch strip centered on my spine. That I kept warm enough in the mid 40's. Just needed a single layer of the blanket the next night with the pad. Everyone is different. You can buy more expensive inflatable pads but folks usually go from the CCF to an underquilt which will keep you warmer, lower temps AND leaves the comfort of the original hammock. But Underquilts are a NEW thing. People been sleeping with pads for insulation for years. If you're not sleeping under the 40's, probably don't need to buy a 300 dollar underquilt. Then again, you can make your own Frankenquilt out of an old sleeping bag. But the high dollar underquilts are Down quilts and pack really tight, that's why their expensive.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe classic
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS+OC, 20 UGQ
    Suspension
    rings and straps
    Major94,
    I will post a pic tonight of what I use/how. Sorry I don't have access to it right now. Simple description is by a sleeping pad lay it in the hammock crawl in and pull your sleeping bag up over you. You can even use your bag as a semi-over Quilt by only zipping it part way down the side leaving a king of pocket to stick you feet in at the bottom then just use the rest like a big blanket tuck it around the shoulders a bit and you got it. Simple and warm from me down easily into the upper 30's (my bag is a -15 degree bag though, don't know what you might have. In fact I use the pad under me with a heavy wool blanket on top/ around me down into the upper 40's around the yard here at home.

I add a piece of reflectex to that (from home depot, it's kind of a bubble wrap with a silver space blanket type layer on both sides costs about 25 for a roll) and it adds a bit more comfort as the temp drops.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Ahhhh, I read back and must have you mixed up with another poster, you're using a single layer hammock of some sort? All I know for sure is you put a bug net on it and the Blackbirds already have one. Well, you can use a pad, it'll try to get away from you but you can make your own SPE and use it as described by SHUG in THIS video.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe classic
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS+OC, 20 UGQ
    Suspension
    rings and straps
    Major94,

Hey that video MrClean linked to shows a pad with extenders to go even cooler then what I do. I took pictures of a new pad with the reflectex all rolled up so you could see approx. size. The pad I have in the pic is a 70-74 inch pad (can't remember which sorry). We have to trim the corners and length to fit in the hammock but haven't taken the time with this one yet. Maybe tonight we will get it done.

Anyway here are pics of it all rolled up then with just the pad laid in the hammock and with my son on it for reference. Hope this helps

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234