Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images

Central Florida hang?

I wanted to see if there would be any interest in having a hang down here on the forest that I manage. It is in central FL (an hour and a half southwest of Orlando and about an hour due east of Tampa) on the Lake Wales Ridge (Lake Wales Ridge State Forest) southeast of Frostproof.

This would be a bit more of a rustic/in the woods type hang but I can probably arrange for a vehicle to haul a few people, tables, ice chests, etc. out to the site that can't make the 20-30 minute hike. Dogs would have to be on a leash (by rule plus there is a FL panther living in the area so if Spot runs away then Spot will likely become dinner that night), kids would be optional but if they misbehave then they definitely need to be on a leash

If we can scare up some funds then I might even be able to get a couple of porta-johns out to the site. There wouldn't be any potable water available but the camp site is next to a beautiful stream. There are lots of trees but you would have to spread out into the woods to find your spot (it isn't a campground) and be careful of dead/dying trees and limbs.

Activities (aside from the normal socializing) could include
    • Hiking (I could lead a 5 hour or so hike to showcase some of the forest). The trail is a side trail/loop of the Florida Trail. Hikes can be as little as a foray away from the camping area, to the 5 hour hike, or if you want some alone time the full loop is about 22 miles
    • Canoe/kayak out on the creek, out to a large lake (Lake Arbuckle), or even a longer trip to a county boat ramp/campground where you could arrange for a shuttle back to the forest (half day total)
    • Swim in the creek *insert standard gator warning here*
    • Fishing, bird watching, photography
    • Relax and enjoy the scenery and the company

I was thinking that this could be in mid-March while the weather is still good (and gator mating season hasn't started) but is a couple of months after the greater FL hang so that we don't have overlap. Everyone would be welcome but I might need an experienced hammock guru to look at the site to see if they thought there was a limit to how many people it could hold.

Well, what does everyone think? Too close to the main event in January? Not enough interest? Let me know if I should start planning this event or not (I will probably need a bit of help)

Dave
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Sounds like a blast....One of my hiking buddies lives in Frostproof so I'm sure he'd be in as well.

Hammock
    Diy
    Tarp
    FF
    Insulation
    lost river
    Suspension
    whoopies
    We are interested as well. A little to far out to say for sure, but is sounds fun.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Well, it's a bit of a drive for me, but I'd be willing. Mid-March sounds just about right, though it would have to be dependent upon which weekend.

My anniversaries (yes, plural; the one where I met my wife and the one where we got married) both fall in that month, so as long as it's not one of those weekends I'd be more than willing to go.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Insulation
    UGQ down goodness
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by samsara View Post
    I wanted to see if there would be any interest in having a hang down here on the forest that I manage. It is in central FL (an hour and a half southwest of Orlando and about an hour due east of Tampa) on the Lake Wales Ridge (Lake Wales Ridge State Forest) southeast of Frostproof.

This would be a bit more of a rustic/in the woods type hang but I can probably arrange for a vehicle to haul a few people, tables, ice chests, etc. out to the site that can't make the 20-30 minute hike. Dogs would have to be on a leash (by rule plus there is a FL panther living in the area so if Spot runs away then Spot will likely become dinner that night), kids would be optional but if they misbehave then they definitely need to be on a leash

If we can scare up some funds then I might even be able to get a couple of porta-johns out to the site. There wouldn't be any potable water available but the camp site is next to a beautiful stream. There are lots of trees but you would have to spread out into the woods to find your spot (it isn't a campground) and be careful of dead/dying trees and limbs.

Activities (aside from the normal socializing) could include
    • Hiking (I could lead a 5 hour or so hike to showcase some of the forest). The trail is a side trail/loop of the Florida Trail. Hikes can be as little as a foray away from the camping area, to the 5 hour hike, or if you want some alone time the full loop is about 22 miles
    • Canoe/kayak out on the creek, out to a large lake (Lake Arbuckle), or even a longer trip to a county boat ramp/campground where you could arrange for a shuttle back to the forest (half day total)
    • Swim in the creek *insert standard gator warning here*
    • Fishing, bird watching, photography
    • Relax and enjoy the scenery and the company

I was thinking that this could be in mid-March while the weather is still good (and gator mating season hasn't started) but is a couple of months after the greater FL hang so that we don't have overlap. Everyone would be welcome but I might need an experienced hammock guru to look at the site to see if they thought there was a limit to how many people it could hold.

Well, what does everyone think? Too close to the main event in January? Not enough interest? Let me know if I should start planning this event or not (I will probably need a bit of help)

Dave
    I think it's a great idea! Timberrr and I might be in, depending on his school schedule and the date. We were considering doing another hang at Canaveral sometime in the February/March timeframe.

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    OES MacCat's
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I like the idea too. Any thought to getting something together this Fall? Maybe a get together October - November? I like the thought of getting out somewhere.
    Temps should be pleasant then too.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Mid-March? Hey, that's my birthday! I think I'll give myself a present by going hiking in Lake Wales Ridge. Count me in
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by islander View Post
    I like the idea too. Any thought to getting something together this Fall? Maybe a get together October - November? I like the thought of getting out somewhere.
    Temps should be pleasant then too.
    Mid-November is a definite maybe

It would have to be a much simpler affair... basically just a "let's go" and everyone hikes out, no shuttles, no frills, just a place to go. The weather should be really nice then and the muskooters have already gone waaaaay down (I have been playing with a homemade wood backpacking stove in the back yard and haven't been eaten alive).

I'm way too busy this fall to do much planning other than meeting everyone at the trailhead/parking and heading out for the weekend. The guided hike still stands and if anyone wants to coordinate their own shuttles for kayaks then that is fine too (really do-able so don't assume it would be too difficult to pull off).

That would also put me under the gun for getting a hammock done in time... so don't laugh if I end up using my tent

We would have to squeeze it in between archery season and muzzleloader. Looking at the calendar that would make the first three weekends in November fine. How about Veterans Day weekend? It could be a nice three day weekend trip. Show up Friday noonish, leave Sunday noonish.

Like I said, this one would have to be a show up with everything you need, carry everything you need on your back to the camping area (I think it is about a 30 minute hike roughly), pack it out, take care of yourself but relax and have fun. If you, or anyone else is interested in something like that then I'm game for that as well (it's in my back yard after all... literally). It might be a good opportunity to scout things out before the big event in March.

Dave
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by samsara View Post
    It would have to be a much simpler affair... basically just a "let's go" and everyone hikes out, no shuttles, no frills, just a place to go.
    Dave
    That's my kind of affair! The big Buck Lake Florida Hang satisfies my complicated side. Just sayin'
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Count me in on both, being reading on area hikes and this was going to be one of my next. Did the Lakeland Scrub a couple of weeks ago and it was HOT. It's been a long hot summer for me, missed being in Maine this summer. Still finishing up new kit myself. Thanks samsara.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast