Question My First Night In The Backyard...

I spent Friday night in my Backyard in my new HH Explorer Deluxe. I had mixed results. First before heading out a big T-storm blew through and crumpled the dome tent that I had set up for my son and his friend who were going to camp out as well, but the HH with its snake skins was bone dry. Good omen however, I could not fall a sleep, I was not uncomfortable, but just could not used to it. Also, the HH sagged so that in the wee hours I was touching the ground, I'm not sure if the webbing slipped or the rope (wet) sagged? I re-rigged it and found it more tolerable, less 'downhill', I know need to compare it to sleeping out, not the bed. I am willing to try again, I used a stadium seat as a pad and had an open bag under me (warm night) and this did a good job of keeping me warm, but did add to the adjustment/bunching up discomfort. Next time I think I'll lay directly on the pad and quilt with sleeping bag, or climb in the bag cocoon like and skip the pad. Any other ideas?

TIA Thanks,

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    First, welcome to the forums!

You're going to experience some stretching with the HH until it's not so new anymore. My recommendation is to tie it up as tight as you can, and get in, bounce around, get out and retighten. If you have a line level, you could hang it from the ridgeline to see how level you are. You may find that tying the foot end higher than the head end is more comfortable for you, so you won't feel like you're sliding downhill.

A cheap way to stay warm is to buy a blue CCF (close cell foam) pad from Target or Walmart to sleep on. I used to use one (cut to fit) sideways under my shoulders and one down the back (in a T-shape).

It's a bit difficult to sleep inside the sleeping bag inside a Hennessy imo. Check out the threads talking about quilts and underquilts here. Much more comfortable. Happy hanging!

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Thumbs up Thanks for the Reply

I have been reading the forum, and tend to be gear-headed, so my first inclination is to get and under-quilt and over-quilt, and fitted pad... But thought I would resist the gear grabbing and use what I have. I couldn't find my close cell pad hence the stadium seat pad (from my kayak), which is just a pad in a cover. I do need a new sleeping bag, so... I'll keep researching. Thanks again!

quilts

I took the quilt plunge early on when I found I didn't like using a sleeping bag in the traditional manner, was difficult getting in and out of, and since JRB was having a sale on their 4 season quilt package, well I'm glad I made the purchase. Now waiting on their WS2. The Hennessy lashing will work but I switched to Hitchcrafts and no more slack, the support lines stay taunt.

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Golite Cave 2 tarp
    Insulation
    Exped downmat 7
    drewbird911, I'd suggest a quilt in the Hennessy...quilts are much easier to deal with than bags...I think the nylon webbing stretched as the Spectra rope Hennessy uses does not...you'll learn higher is better...I used to hang my Hennessy as high as I could comfortable sit...I always had trouble getting the right angle on the Hennessy and spent way too much time adjusting and readjusting it...I don't have the same problem with the Clark...I think it had something to do with Hennessy's structural ridgeline...I eventually added a cheap, lightweight line level to the ridgeline which helped speed things up a bit...

Using a pad in my Hennessy was a royal pain...and I don't sleep well without a pad...

I think NCPatrick gave some very good advice and information...

Images
    I have never wasted time leveling my hammock after having carefully leveled it on the first night of use. But I kept sliding towards the foot. So for me, I always just make sure the foot is 3-6"" higher than the head, and all is fine. I tend to err on the high side. I have not yet ended up with the foot TOO high. But that's just me. This may vary with the individual and the hammock.

And you can expect some stretching in a new hammock. It is probably not the ropes, but the hammock body or maybe the tree huggers.

I ALWAYS have trouble sleeping at night in the back yard, no matter how comfortable I am. On the trail I am out like a light, at least when I use a hammock. Maybe not if on the ground.

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle
    Tarp
    Stock Claytor
    Insulation
    Big Agnes System
    Images
    Try a Big Agnes bag. I use one in my Claytor, and I think it is working pretty good. They are just sleeping bags with no bottom...your choice of pad slides in a sleeve at the bottom. Kept me toasty sat. night when it got to the lower 30's

Thanks for all the reply's, The HH Super Shelter (SS) intrigued me (again the gearhead), as did the Big Agnes bags

I think the webbing slipped and/or new hammock stretch, I'l try feet higher next time. Also, Next time I think I'll try and find my CPF pad and lay directly on it with a bag or blanket on top? Again, not trying to add any more gear.

Thanks Again,
    Last edited by drewbird911; 04-14-2008 at 13:20.

Just a couple of tips for setting up your Explorer Deluxe...

A little stretching is pretty normal the first couple of times that you use you hammock. This is mostly due to the knots tightening where the support ropes are tied to the hammock body, behind that little end cap. The webbing straps will stretch a little bit also but that should only be about an inch per strap.

The next time you set it up try wrapping your Treehuggers (webbing straps) around eye height so when you sit down it feels like you're getting onto a bar stool. When you weight is on the hammock it will drop down to about knee height.

When it comes to sliding towards the foot end it's a bit hard to get around. When you lay diagonally you're pretty flat but there is a definite lowest point on the curve of any hammock. You center of gravity is going to want to settle in the lowest point of the hammock. If you are a guy then you center of gravity is higher up on your body so it will be hard to keep your head and feet at the same level.

As for insulation, I find that the best solution before you buy any of the more expensive/fancy options is to get a pad that goes in a truck's windshield. You want the ones that are foam with shinny silver stuff laminated to both sides and black fabric binding around the edge. They're cheap, flexible, thermally reflective and wider than a standard ground pad. Just make sure you get the "jumbo" or "truck" version for the width.

Sleep tight, and don't worry about the bedbugs. They can't bite you in a hammock!

• + New Posts