Hammock
    HH Asym Expedition
    Tarp
    McCat Delux
    Insulation
    JRB Top and bottom
    Images

First Hiking Trip with Hammock

I did a 34 mile hike this weekend on the AT from Ashby Gap to Harper's Ferry. It was a glorious hike. My buddies were giving me a hard time, dubbed me "Paco the Bear Taco" but I slept better than I ever have on a camping trip before. I had a standard HH Asym Expedition with stock tarp, a 32 deg bag from LL Bean Synthetic non-compressable, an REI silk bag liner and a thermarest. I packed long johns and head covering. I slept in boxers and a short sleeve shirt. The second night out it POURED on us, my friends were worried for me, I slept great and was bone dry. I woke up later after the storm passed, my tarp was flapping a bit. I got up to pee and tighted the tarp. The sky was clear and the stars breathtaking. I took the tarp up and went back to sleep gazing at the beautiful heavens above. The last night it got down to upper 30's lower 40's again no issues, I didn't need the longjohns and slept with the bag half zipped. Thank you to all those who helped me climb the learning curve and made my first hiking trip with a hammock a very sucessful one.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Sounds great Ashman. Glad you had a good hike. How did your buddies fare in the rain?

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Images
    That's great. Glad the rain stopped so you could take your break and stay dry. A quick overnight shower while you are safely high and dry in a hammock can be quite relaxing.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Awesome! Esp. for first hammock hike in shoulder season. Glad you stayed warm and dry. How was the hiking part? Did you see others out on the trail? Did you stay at shelters?

Hammock
    HH Asym Expedition
    Tarp
    McCat Delux
    Insulation
    JRB Top and bottom
    Images
    They stayed dry but woke up stiff (HE HE HE). I didn't say anything cuz I didn't want to seem cocky. They are in much better shape than me but it seemed like I had more giddy up towards the end of the trip, I think because I slept better. Want to get a couple of quilts and ditch the bag both for weight and space. After that I think I gonna get me a bigger tarp. I would ask you guys to help me stop but I know y'all have it worse than me!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashman View Post
    I would ask you guys to help me stop but I know y'all have it worse than me!
    You are right about that...

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    HH Asym Expedition
    Tarp
    McCat Delux
    Insulation
    JRB Top and bottom
    Images
    The hiking was great. We stayed the first night at the Rod Hollow Shelter (I still was hanging, why sleep on boards when you can sleep on air right?). That night we ran into some guys from Maryland that we saw off and on throughout the hike. I through hiker named Lee (trail name Briar Rabbit) joined us after dark, he started at Springer on March 1 and is making some serious time. The roller coaster was pretty wild the ups and downs weren't as bad as the rocks. I was surprised how rocky the trail is in this section. We popped in to Bear's Den for a look, I would like to come back and stay but it wasn't far enough down the line. Popped in at Blackburn Trail Center, nice place but a vicious decent to get to it and acent to get back to the trail. The worse of our day! Lots of water until David Lesser Shelter, none available after that. Played tourist at Harper's before we started (good call) and swung by the ATC office. Rod Hollow was the only shelter we stayed at, its "kitchen" area was collapsed.

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Golite Cave 2 tarp
    Insulation
    Exped downmat 7
    Nice TR, Ashman...gee, you chose to hang in the trees, warm and cozy instead of camp with the shelter mice! that's probably why your hiking partners looked so tired...having mice keep you up all night is exhausting...I am so proud of you for not gloating to them but by all means, feel free to gloat here...I know I do

Images
    Man, Ashman, I am envious! I need to get out sooner than the planned Sept. trip. A friend is trying to get me to join him on a 4 night trip he has been invited to join, on the AT end of April. It sounds wonderful, but I'm afraid it's too little notice for either one of us.

Glad to hear the old HH stock tarp came thru once again. You can see how, used with the extra rain protection from underneath with the Super Shelter, it could really be a safe place in a real down pour.

One thing has occurred to me lately. I can't help but wonder if a non-asym tarp of the same diamond shape, would not work better. Especially if just a little bigger. But the only place I have real difficulty getting what appears to be good coverage is on the right side at the head, left side at the foot. Because of the Asym tarp shape. I have wondered if a symmetrical shape would give equal coverage on both sides?

• + New Posts